Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Imaging with free Macrium

07 Sep 2016   #1680
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spotify95 View Post
I also have a bootable CD from an older install of Macrium, which I'm hoping will work!
An older version of a bootable CD may not work with Images created with a newer version of Macrium.
You should create a new Recovery CD with the new version of Macrium.
The Macrium Change Log tells whenever a new Recovery CD should be created.

With Macrium V6 you can also add a boot menu item to run Macrium Recovery from the HD/SSD.
This won't work if the HD/SSD fails, so you should always have a bootable Recovery CD.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Sep 2016   #1681
spreedin

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 

So I have been using Reflect Free for awhile now and i love it, nice and fast the only issue is that I have make a rescue usb for each PC...is there a way around this...i was reading on this forum about yumi but that was on a older version of reflect....i would like to have one boot usb for all makes and models of pc's that we use and have all the images on that usb...about 10 or so...would be more convenient than carrying all the different usb...boot with linux and start reflect to restore image...thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Sep 2016   #1682
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spreedin View Post
the only issue is that I have make a rescue usb for each PC...
You don't need to do this. You should have a rescue USB/CD for Macrium V5 and one for V6 depending on what version you are using. These should work on multiple PCs using Windows 7. I keep a couple of rescue devices for this purpose in case one fails. You can also store away the rescue ISO somewhere.

I have Macrium V5 still on one PC and V6 on another. I've found the version 6 rescue CD works on V5 images (ie. backward compatible) V5 rescue CDs won't work on V6 images. V6 rescue using pe5 incorporates USB 3 drivers which is useful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Sep 2016   #1683
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18.1 MATE, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spreedin View Post
the only issue is that I have make a rescue usb for each PC...
You don't need to do this. You should have a rescue USB/CD for Macrium V5 and one for V6 depending on what version you are using. These should work on multiple PCs using Windows 7. I keep a couple of rescue devices for this purpose in case one fails. You can also store away the rescue ISO somewhere.
Don't the "rescue discs" incorporate the drivers from the PC they were created on?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Sep 2016   #1684
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by spreedin View Post
the only issue is that I have make a rescue usb for each PC...
You don't need to do this. You should have a rescue USB/CD for Macrium V5 and one for V6 depending on what version you are using. These should work on multiple PCs using Windows 7. I keep a couple of rescue devices for this purpose in case one fails. You can also store away the rescue ISO somewhere.
Don't the "rescue discs" incorporate the drivers from the PC they were created on?
That is an option on the paid version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Sep 2016   #1685
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I admit I haven't used the paid version but haven't experienced a driver problem with the V6 pe 5 rescue on different PC hardware. Maybe there is a driver issue and other feedback would be useful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2016   #1686
Windymiller

Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade designed for Windows Vista
 
 

I hope it is ok to ask this on this thread. I am about to install Macrium Free Version but was worried about having to go into BIOS to change the BOOT to Hard Drive in order to make a Rescue CD. I have 2 questions. Can I create the Rescue CD on a blank CD instead of a DVD. The second is regarding Mesh Computers. I would like to be certain that I leave the BIOS at the default setting when I have finished making the CD. Do you know what the default setting is, and how to return to it ? It is set on Hard Disk at the moment (I saved it on that with great trepidation when I went into BIOS to look at the menu.) I want to know what I am doing before I start downloading Macrium. My husband is having forty fits about me going into BIOS at all !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2016   #1687
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
You shouldn't have to change the boot order the default should be fine.
Yes a regular cd -r or +r or combination +-r cd's are all that is needed for the WinPE recovery media it is less than 500 mb's
You could also use a 1gb flash drive.

Imaging with free Macrium-reflect-create-recue-media.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2016   #1688
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windymiller View Post
I hope it is ok to ask this on this thread. I am about to install Macrium Free Version but was worried about having to go into BIOS to change the BOOT to Hard Drive in order to make a Rescue CD. I have 2 questions. Can I create the Rescue CD on a blank CD instead of a DVD. The second is regarding Mesh Computers. I would like to be certain that I leave the BIOS at the default setting when I have finished making the CD. Do you know what the default setting is, and how to return to it ? It is set on Hard Disk at the moment (I saved it on that with great trepidation when I went into BIOS to look at the menu.) I want to know what I am doing before I start downloading Macrium. My husband is having forty fits about me going into BIOS at all !
When you get the Macrium Rescue CD created you should test it to make sure it works.
You should be able to boot from the Rescue CD and run Macrium.

You should have a "One-Time boot menu" option where you can tap on a key when the PC is starting up so you can choose a boot device without making BIOS changes.
I don't know what the One-Time key is for your PC, it's different for different PC's.

If you have a User manual it might have this info there.
It also might display it when the PC is booting up with something like "Fn=Boot Menu", but that screen can go by quickly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2016   #1689
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

I just learned something interesting yesterday. If you attempt to clone an MBR drive to a GPT drive, the GPT drive will become an MBR drive.

In my case, I was cloning a 2TB HDD (MBR) to a freshly formatted 4TB SSD (GPT, obviously) and wound up with an SSD that had two roughly 2TB partitions, one of which drove me nuttier than usual because I couldn't do anything with it when I tried to fix it with MiniTool Partition wizard until I finally dawned on one of my few remaining brain cells (three, I think; I have trouble counting that high) that the working partition was MBR. Once I converted the working partition back to GPT, I was able to use FreeFileSync to transfer my data from the HDD to SSD (which was probably better, even though slower, since FFS is set to verify every copy operation).

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Imaging with free Macrium




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
New free imaging program
Aomei just released a new freebie. It is intended for users who just want a one click backup/recovery solution. Free for all uses, works on server os too. It is aimed at those who want something very simple. It makes a recovery partition and creates an entire system backup on there. You...
Backup and Restore
Issues imaging windows 7 pro with Macrium Reflect
Hello today i went an image my os windows 7 pro i follow that video on this forums .Than i went to restore tha image to another hdd in a partition .But when i booted from tha partition i got to the part were it said windows is preparing your desktop than i got a message saying that this copy...
Backup and Restore
Windows/Linux dual-boot imaging using Macrium
G'day, I've setup a dual-boot Windows 7 + LinuxMint13 on a single hard disk. My plan was to use Macrium to image this setup. For the Windows partition, this isn't a problem. For the Linux partition, however, I'm unsure whether a restore of an image of this partition would work, because of my...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect - Cloning and Imaging?
Hi all, couple of days ago I had some difficulties with my SR not working which caused me a huge time waste of re-installation of windows. then I came here and you guys suggested me to use macrium and now I'm very happy with it. at this very moment I should be thankful to WHS, ignatzatsonic,...
Backup and Restore
Ready to start imaging-Data, Macrium, WD My Book - suggestions?
Mostly about backup and imaging, but need to prepare a couple things. I've asked a few questions already and done alot of reading as I am new to this part. But was away and finally ready to start my backup plan:) Any suggestion or changes before I start would be great. My Laptop: Windows 7...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Imaging Problem
Hi, I've encountered an issue using Macrium Reflect FREE x64 Version 4.2 Build 2952, and wonder if anyone can help me understand what is going on. I have used the very same version to image my C: and E: succesfully on a few occasions, using the existing XML defintion files. Now, however,...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:43.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App