Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Force DVI/HDMI resolutions and refresh rates

04 Jun 2009   #20
HHawk

Windows 7 & Windows XP x64
 
 

Code:
 
Oh one more thing; I only just noticed now, that you have different DVI cables. DVI-D and DVI-I. One has more pins than the other?
 
My DVI cable (dunno which one it is D or I) can be disconnected from the monitor. Is it worthwhile to use a DVI-I cable instead if it fits on the back of my monitor?
Nevermind... I am stupid...
The monitor has a VGA connection with a VGA-DVI cable.

Sigh. Does this mean the above trick still works?

//edit #2

Well I ordered a new cable, was the same price as a DVI extender.
Manhattan DVI-D -> VGA Cable 1.8 meter (M - M)

Should be correct, right?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Jun 2009   #21
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HHawk View Post
Code:
 
Oh one more thing; I only just noticed now, that you have different DVI cables. DVI-D and DVI-I. One has more pins than the other?
 
My DVI cable (dunno which one it is D or I) can be disconnected from the monitor. Is it worthwhile to use a DVI-I cable instead if it fits on the back of my monitor?
Nevermind... I am stupid...
The monitor has a VGA connection with a VGA-DVI cable.

Sigh. Does this mean the above trick still works?

//edit #2

Well I ordered a new cable, was the same price as a DVI extender.
Manhattan DVI-D -> VGA Cable 1.8 meter (M - M)

Should be correct, right?
That would have been really useful information earlier! I take it you do not have a VGA connector on the back of your computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2009   #22
HHawk

Windows 7 & Windows XP x64
 
 

The monitor (backside) has a VGA connection.
My videocard has 2 DVI connections.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2009   #23
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HHawk View Post
The monitor (backside) has a VGA connection.
My videocard has 2 DVI connections.
When did you get the video card? Was it the same one you had when you were running Vista at 1000Hz or whatever?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Jun 2009   #24
HHawk

Windows 7 & Windows XP x64
 
 

My videocard (GTX 285 2048 MB RAM) is 1 month old or so. Recently bought a new system. Old system had the same problems with W7.

I am currently running Vista at 100 Hz.
In W7 I am limited to 85 Hz (at 1280x1024).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2009   #25
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HHawk View Post
My videocard (GTX 285 2048 MB RAM) is 1 month old or so. Recently bought a new system. Old system had the same problems with W7.

I am currently running Vista at 100 Hz.
In W7 I am limited to 85 Hz (at 1280x1024).
So you're dual booting Vista SP2 and which build of Windows 7 on the exact same hardware. One gives you the rate you want and the other doesn't. Do you have an monitor inf file for your CRT?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2009   #26
HHawk

Windows 7 & Windows XP x64
 
 

Yup dual boot Vista x64 SP2 (for work and stuff) and W7 x64 RC1 (for games).
Yes I have a inf file for my monitor. I think that is pretty obvious.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2009   #27
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HHawk View Post
Yup dual boot Vista x64 SP2 (for work and stuff) and W7 x64 RC1 (for games).
Yes I have a inf file for my monitor. I think that is pretty obvious.
Why would it be obvious? Both Vista and 7 support plug and play monitor configuration so 99% of the world doesn't need to fool with monitor inf files anymore. You've tried a clean install of 7 without the monitor inf then correct? Is the inf file direct from the manufacturer or has it been tampered with? If you upload the original inf that works in Vista, it contains the timing data needed to set the EDID override. It's your best chance... BTW, can you really see a difference between 85 and 100Hz? How?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2009   #28
HHawk

Windows 7 & Windows XP x64
 
 

I meant it was obvious that I was using a .inf file for my monitor, or I wouldn't be here in this forum, right?

Installed W7 without the inf, later installed the monitor driver. Used the original one from Viewsonic and a modified one, created with Phoenix (see my previous posts). Already tried extracting the information from Vista (with Phoenix) and then import them in W7, also without succes...

And yes I can SEE the difference between 85 Hz and 100 Hz. If I run at 85 Hz it flickers compared to 2nd monitor. It strains my eyes. Most people cannot see the difference, which I concur, but I am not most people. Like most people are happy with the way Windows setups their monitors, LCD, TFT, etc...

My best best is to do what bobdynlan said in his previous posts. Since I am currently out of ideas and nothing seems to work...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2009   #29
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HHawk View Post
I meant it was obvious that I was using a .inf file for my monitor, or I wouldn't be here in this forum, right?

Installed W7 without the inf, later installed the monitor driver. Used the original one from Viewsonic and a modified one, created with Phoenix (see my previous posts). Already tried extracting the information from Vista (with Phoenix) and then import them in W7, also without succes...

And yes I can SEE the difference between 85 Hz and 100 Hz. If I run at 85 Hz it flickers compared to 2nd monitor. It strains my eyes. Most people cannot see the difference, which I concur, but I am not most people. Like most people are happy with the way Windows setups their monitors, LCD, TFT, etc...

My best best is to do what bobdynlan said in his previous posts. Since I am currently out of ideas and nothing seems to work...
There are no 100MHz drivers of the type he speaks of. They only go up to 85Hz as well. You might find more info here as it seems you're not the only hertz-junkie out there 100hz "windows 7" - Google Search
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Force DVI/HDMI resolutions and refresh rates




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How can I limit refresh rates?
I seem to have an issue opposite of what is normally desired. In my case, my monitor only supports 60Hz but some 3D apps try to change the refresh rate to something higher, leaving only "Out of Range" displaying on my monitor. So, I need to find a way to make Windows 7 only use 60Hz. My video...
Graphic Cards
Same monitor refresh rates on A/C and battery
I am using a Dell Latitude E5520-4 laptop, and a few days ago I found out that the refresh rate of the laptop's monitor was changed to 40 Hz. I changed it back to 60Hz, but ever since everytime I plug out the charger, the monitor flashes for a few seconds, and it changes back to 40Hz. When I plug...
Graphic Cards
Monitor refresh rates problem
My monitor is SyncMaster 793DF(Samsung). Problem is : I can't see my current refresh rates only I can see the "default setting " . I want to see my current refresh rates and change it ? note : i have already install monitor driver. (If I post this Thread wrong section then plz swap it ) ...
Graphic Cards
CRT monitor - refresh rates disappeared
So I have Win 7 RTM and my iiyama MM904UT doesn't have any refresh rates except 75 and 85. I never installed monitor driver before - I didn't even know that they are there. So windows 7 automatically installed it and seems like problem. Because i need to set 60Hz here. I tryed to uninstall driver...
Drivers
Refresh rates on LCD monitors
I just picked up a new monitor. It's a Samsung 2033 SW. 1600 X 900 with a 5Ms response time. It's only giving me one option. 60 hertz. Is this normal? http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS20CMZKFV/ZA&fullspec=F My...
Graphic Cards
HELP: Cannot change refresh rates on Win 7 (CRT-monitor
Hi People Im having a weird issue....I ve worked in tech supp before but I m unable to find an answer to this one: System specs: C2D 3.0ghz, 2 gb ram, 1000mhz, OS WIn 7 64 bit RC 7100, Graphics-8600GT Now Im using an old monitor LG 700s, and for some weird reason I cannot change the...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App