Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

06 May 2011   #1270
i7 Lover

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL THOSE HAVING ERRORS WITH DUAL BOOTING

Sorry for caps in title, trying to point out to people

I went to get assistance from a HP's official stores, and I explained to them what I was trying to do.

(Extra Info - My problem was that when I come to choosing were to install windows XP, the setup does not show any partitions.)

The guy said " is your computer i7 ? or i5? " I said its i7. he said straight away " you can totally forget about installing or dual booting windows XP on this Laptop".

( Its a HP Pavilion dv6 - 2.8 Ghz - i7 - 8 Gbs ram - 1 TB hard disk - ATI card - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit)

He then explained : " Most new computers ( Desk and Laptops) hard disk's are new, and Windows XP setup can not recognize the hard disk."

Moreover he said : " Those people who keep talking about SATA and RAID setup, still use older computers, and therefore, the SATA/RAID system works for them."




TO SUM UP, IF YOUR COMPUTER IS i5 or i7 - YOU CAN CLOSE THIS THREAD BECAUSE NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO INSTALL/ DUAL BOOT WINDOWS XP.
I know its a big disappointment, but I just thought I might help some one else, before they waste 3 days of their life pointlessly.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 May 2011   #1271
gregrocker

 

This is why you need to install the SATA controller drivers, as given in my post just above. These drivers are not in the XP installer because it is too old.

The processor has nothing to do with it other than that it is a newer computer.

Have you tried virtualizing XP using XP Mode in Ultimate or Professional, or freeware like Virtual Box, Virtual Player or VMWare in any edition?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2011   #1272
i7 Lover

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
This is why you need to install the SATA controller drivers, as given in my post just above. These drivers are not in the XP installer because it is too old.

The processor has nothing to do with it other than that it is a newer computer.

Have you tried virtualizing XP using XP Mode in Ultimate or Professional, or freeware like Virtual Box, Virtual Player or VMWare in any edition?
I tried virtualizing
But my needs were not fulfilled by it, Virtual Machine/PC from Microsoft was quite useless because It wouldn't let me install big programs.

And as I was saying, most hard drives on new computers, are a NEW GENERATION, thats why they don't even accept windows XP - <-- Quoted by HP support assistance official.

I'm not trying to start a debate, I'm just clearing out my case, so that if some one has the same situation as me, wouldn't waste his time running after this whole thingy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2011   #1273
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by i7 Lover View Post
Sorry for caps in title, trying to point out to people

I went to get assistance from a HP's official stores, and I explained to them what I was trying to do.

(Extra Info - My problem was that when I come to choosing were to install windows XP, the setup does not show any partitions.)

The guy said " is your computer i7 ? or i5? " I said its i7. he said straight away " you can totally forget about installing or dual booting windows XP on this Laptop".

( Its a HP Pavilion dv6 - 2.8 Ghz - i7 - 8 Gbs ram - 1 TB hard disk - ATI card - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit)

He then explained : " Most new computers ( Desk and Laptops) hard disk's are new, and Windows XP setup can not recognize the hard disk."

Moreover he said : " Those people who keep talking about SATA and RAID setup, still use older computers, and therefore, the SATA/RAID system works for them."




TO SUM UP, IF YOUR COMPUTER IS i5 or i7 - YOU CAN CLOSE THIS THREAD BECAUSE NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO INSTALL/ DUAL BOOT WINDOWS XP.
I know its a big disappointment, but I just thought I might help some one else, before they waste 3 days of their life pointlessly.
First check for all the Win XP drivers for your hardware.

You can check your HP notebook here:
General XP Downgrade Guide for HP Laptops - HP Support Forum
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 May 2011   #1274
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Quote:
Nearly all modern operating systems designed for Intel® architecture support the Intel® Core™ i7 processor, although some may require specific versions or processor support files. Microsoft Windows Vista* and Microsoft Windows XP* (with SP2) support the Intel Core i7 processor

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor &mdash; Integration overview (LGA1366-land package)


If it not possible with HP - then it appears to be something HP have done - not Intel.

It may be that XP drivers are not available for such a recent machine .


Quote:
most hard drives on new computers, are a NEW GENERATION, thats why they don't even accept windows XP
I assume he means AFD - I don't know much about xp - but i would imagine it would install and run ok -it would be a good idea to align it using Paragon alignment tool.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 May 2011   #1275
earthprime

Windows 7
 
 

Brink,

Excellent tutorial. Is there a way to boot into XP at will from Windows 7? I don't want to have to choose my OS every time I start my computer. Also, I have a hp pavilion laptop. Does the section about RAID setup and the SATA drive in Windows 7 apply to me (alittle over my head)? Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2011   #1276
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by earthprime View Post
Brink,

Excellent tutorial. Is there a way to boot into XP at will from Windows 7? I don't want to have to choose my OS every time I start my computer. Also, I have a hp pavilion laptop. Does the section about RAID setup and the SATA drive in Windows 7 apply to me (alittle over my head)? Thanks!
First check for all the Win XP drivers for your hardware.

You can check your HP PC here:
General XP Downgrade Guide for HP Laptops - HP Support Forum
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2011   #1277
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Least "choosey" method I know of is to set Win7 as default with 5-10 second menu timeout, so that you really don't have to do anything or wait long unless you know you want to boot into XP.

Attachment 153619(click to enlarge)
Hi Greg

Or the OP can add iReboot to EasyBCD.

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP-ireboot3.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2011   #1278
gregrocker

 

Perfect, Theog. IReboot installs to the taskbar a Reboot Menu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2011   #1279
myzr7

Windows 7 Ulti. x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Least "choosey" method I know of is to set Win7 as default with 5-10 second menu timeout, so that you really don't have to do anything or wait long unless you know you want to boot into XP.

Attachment 153619(click to enlarge)
Hi Greg

Or the OP can add iReboot to EasyBCD.

Attachment 153743
I tested this on a dual boot machine I use often and find that it works good for me. Thanks for the tip Ray.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista
How to Setup a Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista This will show you how to install Windows 7 and Vista to dual boot with when you already have either Windows 7 or Vista installed first.With a dual boot installaton, you will have two operating systems (OS) installed. When you start...
Tutorials
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and 7 on 2 separate HDD
1. I have Windows 7 (64 bit) ALREADY installed on a SINGLE hard drive. 2. I have a clean blank other SINGLE hard drive upon which I will install Windows 7 (32-bit). 3. Please understand this is TWO individual hard drives, I want an Operating System installed on each individually. (win7 on ONE,...
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
I used to have a computer with Windows XP on which I could use Microsoft Works 2002 "Picture It 7". I now have a laptop with Windows 7 which does not have Microsoft Picture It and I believe that application was discontinued. I still have the old software but cannot use it with Windows 7 only with...
General Discussion
Re-installation of Windows 7/64 on SSD from Dual Boot
Hello, I'll give the "2 cent version" of my situation. I have a dual-boot system (XP on mechanical HDD / Win 7/64 Pro on SSD). Recently, I had a series on infections damage my XP installation irrepairably and it is now time to move everything over to 7. I've just purchased a larger SSD to...
Installation & Setup
dual boot windows 7 and xp installation problem
Hi, I tried installing windows xp on my dell laptop running windows 7.The installation started but soon i got the error message "setup is stopping to prevent any damage to your computer.check your hard drive to make sure its configured properly.run sfc on your hard drive etc etc ...
Installation & Setup
Can't Get a Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu Installation Going
I have two hard drives on my computer, one for my OS and apps (C:), and one for my data (D:). I recently reformatted my C: drive, re-installing Windows 7. I want to set up a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10.04. The problem I am having is that the Ubuntu installer recognizes my D: drive but not...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:31.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App