Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

21 May 2010   #780
duster011

Win 7 and XP
 
 
New Win 7 laptop to dual boot

I'm trying to follow your instructions to dual boot a new emachines e535 laptop (Win 7) with XP. I followed the instructions and made a WinXP install disk with the SATA drivers slipstreamed as per your instructions.
I also created a new 105 gig NTSF partition on the 250 gig HD.
When I boot to the win xp cd (with SATA drivers), after the initial copying of files ( before any input can be made) I get a BSOD that seems to point to a HD error.
Do you think the the slipstream didn't work correctly or is the computer just restricted to the OS it came with, or something else?
Thanks for any help you can provide.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 May 2010   #781
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by duster011 View Post
I'm trying to follow your instructions to dual boot a new emachines e535 laptop (Win 7) with XP. I followed the instructions and made a WinXP install disk with the SATA drivers slipstreamed as per your instructions.
I also created a new 105 gig NTSF partition on the 250 gig HD.
When I boot to the win xp cd (with SATA drivers), after the initial copying of files ( before any input can be made) I get a BSOD that seems to point to a HD error.
Do you think the the slipstream didn't work correctly or is the computer just restricted to the OS it came with, or something else?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Have you slipstream the correct Sata Drivers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2010   #782
StevenHK

Windows 7
 
 

Very frustrated!!!!! My original OS is XP. I followed your instructions - partitioning drive and installing windows 7. Upon reboot, I get the windows boot manager with choice of "earlier windows OS" or windows 7. Choosing either of them, I get the initial start screen logos and then they both crash and reboot. I have tried your Error Loading Operating System tip using Win7 command prompt and did not work. I tried repairing the system using both the original XP and Win 7 disks. Nothing works! Any ideas now? BTW, I never got to the install EasyBCD part. Help!

Just in case there is a 32bit/64bit issue. I was attempting to install Win7 64bit (after my original XP 32bit). Any help much appreciated.

One more interesting point. When I use "bootrec /RebuildBcd" it says "total identified Windows Installations: 0". That seems strange as I can see both installations in Windows Boot Manager, but neither of them make it past the start up logo screen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2010   #783
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Try testing your RAM, Steven. Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder. Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 passes.

You may also try reinstalling Windows 7. Where did you get your copy of 7?

Welcome to SF, BTW. You made a good decision to come here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 May 2010   #784
duster011

Win 7 and XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by duster011 View Post
I'm trying to follow your instructions to dual boot a new emachines e535 laptop (Win 7) with XP. I followed the instructions and made a WinXP install disk with the SATA drivers slipstreamed as per your instructions.
I also created a new 105 gig NTSF partition on the 250 gig HD.
When I boot to the win xp cd (with SATA drivers), after the initial copying of files ( before any input can be made) I get a BSOD that seems to point to a HD error.
Do you think the the slipstream didn't work correctly or is the computer just restricted to the OS it came with, or something else?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Have you slipstream the correct Sata Drivers?

That was the problem -2 drivers (.inf) showed up in the driver download for the SATA drive and i picked the wrong one on the first try. . 2nd try was successful and Win xp installed with the new disk. THANK YOU!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 May 2010   #785
MaskedOne

Win 7 64 bit and win XP home
 
 

hello there,

I have installed Win 7 first on my stationary and I installed xp secondly. I rebooted and it only boots to xp. I noticed that Win 7 is on C and XP is on E drive . But when I was on Win 7 ,XP was on drive D .

I used my Win 7 CD ROM to repair the broken Win 7 and then tried to use Easy BCD 1.7.2 to fix it so that i could dual boot. Now when my computer starts up i get the option to select either Win 7 or XP operating system, Win 7 works fine but if i now choose XP it will not start up and asks for the XP Home CD ROM to be inserted so it can be repaired, what am i doing wrong? can this be fixed?

I am NOT very computer savy and it has taken me 2 days of hard work to even get this far any help would be very appreciated!!!


M
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2010   #786
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by duster011 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by duster011 View Post
I'm trying to follow your instructions to dual boot a new emachines e535 laptop (Win 7) with XP. I followed the instructions and made a WinXP install disk with the SATA drivers slipstreamed as per your instructions.
I also created a new 105 gig NTSF partition on the 250 gig HD.
When I boot to the win xp cd (with SATA drivers), after the initial copying of files ( before any input can be made) I get a BSOD that seems to point to a HD error.
Do you think the the slipstream didn't work correctly or is the computer just restricted to the OS it came with, or something else?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Have you slipstream the correct Sata Drivers?

That was the problem -2 drivers (.inf) showed up in the driver download for the SATA drive and i picked the wrong one on the first try. . 2nd try was successful and Win xp installed with the new disk. THANK YOU!!!!!

You are welcome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #787
andrewp

windows 7
 
 
blue screen in xp install

Hi,

I have brand new HP laptop with windows 7. I want to dual boot with XP64 or XP.

The install goes through copying files, but with both os's I get a blue screen with a stop code of 7B (INVALID_BOOT_DEVICE)

I followed the instructions in`the tutorial on shrinking the main partion, etc.

Any ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #788
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrewp View Post
Hi,

I have brand new HP laptop with windows 7. I want to dual boot with XP64 or XP.

The install goes through copying files, but with both os's I get a blue screen with a stop code of 7B (INVALID_BOOT_DEVICE)

I followed the instructions in`the tutorial on shrinking the main partion, etc.

Any ideas?
Take a look at the Warning in Method Two.

SATA Drivers - Load in Windows XP Setup on Dual Boot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #789
StevenHK

Windows 7
 
 
Making progress, but still not there

Okay, I have made some progress. Windows 7 (drive C:\) was not installing because my BIOS needed updating. Once that was done... voila. Looks/runs well. So I then installed EasyBCD 2.0 and added the old drive with Windows XP (now drive e:\) to the bootloader and highlighted radio button "Reinstall the Vista Bootloader" and then clicked "Write MBR"....

Upon restart, I can see Windows XP in the Windows Boot Manager menu, but it refuses to launch. An error pops up noting File: \NTLDR Status 0xc000000f could not be loaded because application is mising or corrupt" It then asks me to repair my computer with the XP installation disks...

I then boot with the XP installation disks, but I can't get "Repair PC" as I can't get to the Recovery Console... BECAUSE it is asking for an administrator password!!! I am entering the only password I ever had in XP, but it refuses to accept it. After three attempts, have to reboot again.

So, I realize the problems has something to do with boot.ini, ntldr, the XP MBR, but I sice I can't use the Recovery Console, so what can i do next? Can I manually edit/copy/paste files from installation disks and put in root drives? EasyBCD clearly isn't sorting it out either...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista
How to Setup a Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista This will show you how to install Windows 7 and Vista to dual boot with when you already have either Windows 7 or Vista installed first.With a dual boot installaton, you will have two operating systems (OS) installed. When you start...
Tutorials
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and 7 on 2 separate HDD
1. I have Windows 7 (64 bit) ALREADY installed on a SINGLE hard drive. 2. I have a clean blank other SINGLE hard drive upon which I will install Windows 7 (32-bit). 3. Please understand this is TWO individual hard drives, I want an Operating System installed on each individually. (win7 on ONE,...
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
I used to have a computer with Windows XP on which I could use Microsoft Works 2002 "Picture It 7". I now have a laptop with Windows 7 which does not have Microsoft Picture It and I believe that application was discontinued. I still have the old software but cannot use it with Windows 7 only with...
General Discussion
Re-installation of Windows 7/64 on SSD from Dual Boot
Hello, I'll give the "2 cent version" of my situation. I have a dual-boot system (XP on mechanical HDD / Win 7/64 Pro on SSD). Recently, I had a series on infections damage my XP installation irrepairably and it is now time to move everything over to 7. I've just purchased a larger SSD to...
Installation & Setup
dual boot windows 7 and xp installation problem
Hi, I tried installing windows xp on my dell laptop running windows 7.The installation started but soon i got the error message "setup is stopping to prevent any damage to your computer.check your hard drive to make sure its configured properly.run sfc on your hard drive etc etc ...
Installation & Setup
Can't Get a Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu Installation Going
I have two hard drives on my computer, one for my OS and apps (C:), and one for my data (D:). I recently reformatted my C: drive, re-installing Windows 7. I want to set up a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10.04. The problem I am having is that the Ubuntu installer recognizes my D: drive but not...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App