Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win 7 Ult. 32 + XP Mode

11 Apr 2011   #1
AstaLaVista

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 
Win 7 Ult. 32 + XP Mode

I recently found XP Mode and I want to try it on one of my Office PCs. We run an application from the server that runs on Windows 2000 server and my question is as follows.

Windows 7 does not have to be on the network since it will only be use for internet browsing, MS Office, etc but XP mode does need to use the server application... how do I have to install windows seven and XP mode virtualization?

I was trying it today but I was unable to see the server while in Virtual XP Mode. Do I have to threat it as a new install? meaning, I have to give it a name that the server will see and it can not be the same name that Win 7 has?

Sorry, I think I am making this more confusing that it need to be but networking is kinda Greek to me


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Apr 2011   #2
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Yes maybe.
The biggest problem with XP mode is that by default it sets up a virtual network card on a different subnet then the host PC acting as a router with NAT.

What you first need to do is when XP mode is shut down, not hibernated, go into the settings and change the network interface to use the host network card.

Once that is done you may be able to connect to the server and or add to the server that the username for XP mode to allow it access.

Not certain if you can run that program from the server in the XP mode. But once you can see the server in networking you'll find that out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2011   #3
AstaLaVista

Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
Yes maybe.
The biggest problem with XP mode is that by default it sets up a virtual network card on a different subnet then the host PC acting as a router with NAT.

What you first need to do is when XP mode is shut down, not hibernated, go into the settings and change the network interface to use the host network card.

Once that is done you may be able to connect to the server and or add to the server that the username for XP mode to allow it access.

Not certain if you can run that program from the server in the XP mode. But once you can see the server in networking you'll find that out.
Thanks a lot Shootist, I will try that tomorrow and see if I can make heads or tails of it. I have seen something about "Hibernating " when I exit from XP Mode but it was brief so I don't know whether y shut down or just hibernated... I gotta check that out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Apr 2011   #4
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post

Thanks a lot Shootist, I will try that tomorrow and see if I can make heads or tails of it. I have seen something about "Hibernating " when I exit from XP Mode but it was brief so I don't know whether y shut down or just hibernated... I gotta check that out.
By default XP Mode is set to go into Hibernation when exiting from it. So you have to specifically tell it to Shut down.
A google search will turn up all of this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2011   #5
Kari

 

There's absolutely no need to shut down XP Mode only to change the NIC. You can do it when hibernated and even when XP Mode is running. Just open XP Mode settings, click Networking on the left pane and select your host system's NIC from drop down list on the right.

Win 7 Ult. 32 + XP Mode-xpm_nic.png

Only when adding or removing NIC's must XP Mode be shut down.

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2011   #6
Shootist

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Thanks for that Kari.
I didn't realize that the network setting, and a few others, were available while XP mode was running or in hibernation. Some of the other options are not available while it is active, running or hibernating.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2011   #7
Kari

 

It's a quite simple principle. Think XP Mode, or any other Virtual PC vm, as a real computer. You need to shut down the computer when you add or remove hardware, like adding a HD or RAM. But if you want to connect an external CD/DVD, or use another NIC already installed, or connect something to a COM port, you can do this when computer is running.

Same with Virtual PC vm's. Add RAM or a HD, you need to shut down. Add an external DVD player, use another NIC, connect a COM port, no need to shut down.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2011   #8
kjenks

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AstaLaVista View Post
I recently found XP Mode and I want to try it on one of my Office PCs. We run an application from the server that runs on Windows 2000 server and my question is as follows.

Windows 7 does not have to be on the network since it will only be use for internet browsing, MS Office, etc but XP mode does need to use the server application... how do I have to install windows seven and XP mode virtualization?

I was trying it today but I was unable to see the server while in Virtual XP Mode. Do I have to threat it as a new install? meaning, I have to give it a name that the server will see and it can not be the same name that Win 7 has?

Sorry, I think I am making this more confusing that it need to be but networking is kinda Greek to me
On the XP Mode VMs that I have built, I have found that if I joined them to the domain, I had no issue seeing the network - regardless of which NIC it was using. If I left them off the domain, I could not browse the rest of the network but I was able to map a drive. When they were configured this way, the VM did seem to run much slower. When the system was joined to the domain, everything ran nice & fast and there were no networking issues.

Hope that helps.
Kevin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win 7 Ult. 32 + XP Mode




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD only occurs in normal mode, Works fine on safe mode.
Everytime i open my pc up in normal mode, it seems to restart itself within a few seconds to a few minutes, It tends to happen when i open up a program like Chrome. I',m currently on safe mode with networking and have done registry cleaners, updated video card drivers and looked for viruses, yet...
BSOD Help and Support
Black screen at boot with safe mode, system restore, or repair mode
Hello all First time poster with problem after peforming sys restore on win7 pro 64bit. Was troubleshooting a problem w/taskbar not staying hidden, tried to restore back 24hrs to when a java update occured. Restore seemed to proceed normally, but upon restart, it boots normally to just before the...
Backup and Restore
BSOD BCCode 50. freezes in normal mode, works fine in safe mode
laptop has been randomly freezing. cursor disappears no keyboard function. only thing to do is manual shutdown. Now getting a BSOD error 50. any help?
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD when trying to boot in normal mode, safe mode works fine
My Toshiba satellite will only boot in safe mode tried sfc/scannow getting this message Windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. I've tried a system restore but that wasnt very successful either, if I uploaded the CBS log of the scan could someone...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows doesn't login properly in normal mode but fine in safe mode
Hi, I got win 7 home premium 64 bit on an i3 laptop. My system worked fine until today morning. The problem is this; When I boot the system in normal mode, I get to the part where I need to enter my password to login. Once i do that, all I get is a black screen with the mouse pointer that...
General Discussion
Windows Normal Mode Crashes to BSOD and Safe Mode doesn't load
I need some help please as I do not know where to start. I installed a Windows Update a few days ago and then got a BSOD the next time I turned my PC on. So I did a system recovery and this seemed to work. Now, it's happened again without me doing a Windows Update and I cannot get into...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App