Associate file type to xp mode application?


  1. Posts : 43
    7
       #1

    Associate file type to xp mode application?


    i have this seen before installing acrobat on my seven,
    while successful testing to use an old scanner and other hardware in the virtual xp, i had to install acrobat reader 5.

    suddenly all my pdf files, formerly with unknown icon had the old
    acrobat 5 icon and on double click the xp mode acrobat reader started.

    now i try to reproduce this without luck.

    my idea was to open old .hlp files in xp mode.

    i am happy for all input.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,289
       #2

    deskareas said:
    i have this seen before installing acrobat on my seven,
    while successful testing to use an old scanner and other hardware in the virtual xp, i had to install acrobat reader 5.

    suddenly all my pdf files, formerly with unknown icon had the old
    acrobat 5 icon and on double click the xp mode acrobat reader started.

    now i try to reproduce this without luck.

    my idea was to open old .hlp files in xp mode.

    i am happy for all input.
    Hi Deskareas,

    XP-Mode is separated from your Windows 7 desktop configuration and applications, You cant associate a filetype on your Windows 7 desktop with the applications you have installed in XP-Mode.

    Steven
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 43
    7
    Thread Starter
       #3

    have you read my message?
    i had exactly this when no file handler was assigned on my windows 7.
    after installing acrobat in the virtual xp pdf files opened in xp mode acrobat 5 reader.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 620
    7264x64/7260x86
       #4

    dmex said:
    Hi Deskareas,

    XP-Mode is separated from your Windows 7 desktop configuration and applications, You cant associate a filetype on your Windows 7 desktop with the applications you have installed in XP-Mode.

    Steven
    That's not true. Applications in XP mode will take over associations on win7.

    I have no idea how to change said associations, but they are associated. I think maybe it will only take over unassociated extentions.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 43
    7
    Thread Starter
       #5

    copernicus said:
    That's not true. Applications in XP mode will take over associations on win7.

    I have no idea how to change said associations, but they are associated. I think maybe it will only take over unassociated extentions.
    do you know a decent tool for dealing with file associations?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,289
       #6

    copernicus said:
    That's not true. Applications in XP mode will take over associations on win7.

    I have no idea how to change said associations, but they are associated. I think maybe it will only take over unassociated extentions.
    Your right, I installed VLC media player in Xp-Mode and it shows up on context menus in Windows 7

    deskareas said:
    do you know a decent tool for dealing with file associations?
    You wont find a tool thats going to help you with this... The problem is that each VM uses a unique ID and its nearly impossible to generate the correct registry strings required to make your host machine launch the right application

    FileType associations are stored in two locations, They use the format %AppID%\\Shell\\Open\\Command\\ and it seems they use this format: VMSAL path | Your VM Name | UniqueApp ID | AppName | AppCommandline Paramaters

    VLC Media Player:

    Associate file type to xp mode application?-vmsal.jpg

    Adobe Reader:

    Associate file type to xp mode application?-smsal.jpg

    You can remove the associations from your Windows 7 machine but you cant create them without knowing the exact Application ID your XP-Mode has created for each installed application.

    The best answer would be associating .hlp files with an application in your XP-VM and letting XP-Mode create the association on your Windows 7 machine

    Steven
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1
    Windows 7
       #7

    Seems to be a common theme...


    My Windows 7 machine picked up a file association from a VM that I installed an app on and I couldn't change it. I had wanted to run it from the XP Mode machine.

    I think this "Auto Publish" setting is a little TOO automatic. Why can't I change it like I would any other file association?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 24
    W7RC1
       #8

    Yes, you have to be careful with Auto Publish when installing apps in your VXP. The seemless integration will get you if you're not careful. Personally, I never publsih any apps I install on my VXP. But I think the default is Auto Publish.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:41.
Find Us