Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Post your questions to the MSFT Virtualization team

28 Jan 2010   #41
fakeasdf

Win 7 Pro x64 x 3, Win 7 Pro x86, Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

By the way, I love Hyper V, snapshots are the best, major life/time saver. Similarly I'm happy to see the implementation of the Undo Disk in Virtual PC, it's also a great life/time saver. Thanks. Are there future plans to create some sort of VirtualPC Integration Components Cleanup application? I've often found people giving me VHD's they've created and forgotten to remove the VPC Integration stuff before giving it to me and then sometimes I can't upgrade them, uninstall them etc and I'm forced to go give it back to them with their Virtual PC XXXX and have them remove it etc.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jan 2010   #42
Edwin Yuen

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fakeasdf View Post
By the way, I love Hyper V, snapshots are the best, major life/time saver. Similarly I'm happy to see the implementation of the Undo Disk in Virtual PC, it's also a great life/time saver. Thanks. Are there future plans to create some sort of VirtualPC Integration Components Cleanup application? I've often found people giving me VHD's they've created and forgotten to remove the VPC Integration stuff before giving it to me and then sometimes I can't upgrade them, uninstall them etc and I'm forced to go give it back to them with their Virtual PC XXXX and have them remove it etc.
Well, we actually have this feature in Virtual Machine Manager for Virtual Server. When you move a VM from VS to Hyper-V, VMM will remove the old additions and install the new Hyper-V ICs. There isn't anything like that for WVPC but again, I'll pass it on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2010   #43
Phil Cross

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
I have a few questions I could add here that are bound to come up sooner or later.

1)With integration enabled buring data to removable media remains a problem in the XP Mode while printer support and access to usb devices is seen in the final version. The floppy and dvd drive items seen on other VMs and custom installs to vhd remain unavailable however.

In virtual PC (the underlying technology for XP Mode), virtual Server and HyperV optical drives are presented as read only devices , data has to be copied to a remote client or to the host computer for writing .

It is worth distinguishing Printer and USB support. Printer support is provided through the Remote Desktop connection (which is what applications use in XP mode) but when connecting to Windows XP each printer needs to configured - the driver selected and the Terminal Services (TS) port chosen . A USB device can be mapped though to single a virtual machine in Windows Virtual PC (but not Hyper-V). This device is then unavailable to the hosts OS, so this is useful for cameras (for an Example see http://edge.technet.com/Media/Windows-XP-mode-for-Windows-7/ ) but not for printers. The settings dialog for Virtual PC allows a DVD drive in the VM to mapped to an ISO image file or a physical drive on the host computer, Virtual Floppy disk (VFD) files have been removed from this dialog

2)Visual capabilities already touched on a little is any way to enhance the virtual video card memory. Sound takes a back seat secondary role for things like multimedia and addon devices like tuner cards being unavailable while sound is still heard through the host OS.

Inside a VM the sound and graphics support is fairly basic, sound can be brought back to the host OS when connecting using remote desktop (which is what applications use in XP mode) the host graphics card is bypassed. There is no way to route a microphone on the host to the sound card in the VM, but it should be possible use a USB sound device.

3)IE security concerns since cooecting online while in the XP Mode is readily available. Despite being in a virtaul machine the integrated components still allows support for access to internal drives where virues and other malwares could end up being transfered over.


This is true –IE7 or IE8 are intrinsically more secure than IE6 (and are more secure still when run on Vista or Windows XP). With MEDV there is an additional level of integration which allows only defined URLs to be accessed in IE6 and all others are diverted back to the host OS : customers who need XP support on many desktops should be using MEDV – not the small business oriented XP-Mode. In addition Virtual PC allows the connection of host drives to disabling under the settings for integration components. There is a wider question of the risks which stem from having user controlled virtual machines – and this is something which MEDV is intended to address

4)One other odd question to add here would running an emulator like DOSBox on the XP Mode for even older legacy 9x-ME type apps. When going to mount C through DOSBox as well as a program's folder no results are seen while the Dos window appears as that would.
Generally nesting emulation is something we discourage, and we can’t comment on DOSBOX. There is no reason why you shouldn’t install Windows 9x in Windows Virtual PC (XP-Mode is a preconfigured VM in Windows Virtual PC). However because there are no integration components for Windows 9x the VM will only see its own virtual hard disk and any network drives which you have connected to (which could be on the host machine)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jan 2010   #44
fakeasdf

Win 7 Pro x64 x 3, Win 7 Pro x86, Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

Is there any plan to implement dual/multiple monitors on any of the Virtual Machine platforms? I guess it can hit 2048 by XXXX currently stretched... I almost want it to full screen across two monitors though and act like the host OS... Being able to full screen in one monitor etc...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2010   #45
Edwin Yuen

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mikinho View Post
Three questions:

1- Why did Microsoft chose to not support USB virtualization? This is inconsistent with Virtual PC and most hypervisor products.

2- Any plans to expand on Linux Integration to support additional guest Linux operating systems? It was great to see Microsoft submit source code for the Hyper-V Linux Integration Components to the Linux Kernel Community under GPL v2 but I haven't seen any benefits from it.

3- Similar to the previous questions. Does Microsoft have plans to work with any additional open source organizations for native integration with Hyper-V? I'd love to see OpenBSD\FreeBSD drivers and integration services.
Mikinho,

First, love the avatar picture. As for the Linux questions, we submitted the source code for the Hyper-V ICs but they are still being integrated into the core Linux distro. I believe they are on track for 2.6.3 and once they are in, you should see some more benefits.

In terms of OS support, when Microsoft states support for an OS, it is support for the running OS. Thus, for Linux, we work with the support organization (Novell and RedHat) that provide that support. It's harder to coordinate with a support community to provide the same level of support. Thus, it's most up to the community to provide that OS support with Hyper-V. You can certainly run those distros on Hyper-V (they do run well and will get better once the ICs are into the base code), you just can't call Microsoft for direct support of the OS itself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2010   #46
Edwin Yuen

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fakeasdf View Post
Is there any plan to implement dual/multiple monitors on any of the Virtual Machine platforms? I guess it can hit 2048 by XXXX currently stretched... I almost want it to full screen across two monitors though and act like the host OS... Being able to full screen in one monitor etc...
You can't do that when viewing the VM natively but you can use the new RDP 7.0 to RDP into the VM and use multi-monitor support. There are two great posts on it.

This one covers the new support
Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) Team Blog : Using Multiple Monitors in Remote Desktop Session

And this one has a matrix of how the multi-mon support works across different guest OSes
Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) Team Blog : Remote Desktop Connection 7 for Windows 7, Windows XP & Windows Vista
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2010   #47
fakeasdf

Win 7 Pro x64 x 3, Win 7 Pro x86, Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Edwin Yuen View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fakeasdf View Post
Is there any plan to implement dual/multiple monitors on any of the Virtual Machine platforms? I guess it can hit 2048 by XXXX currently stretched... I almost want it to full screen across two monitors though and act like the host OS... Being able to full screen in one monitor etc...
You can't do that when viewing the VM natively but you can use the new RDP 7.0 to RDP into the VM and use multi-monitor support. There are two great posts on it.

This one covers the new support
Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) Team Blog : Using Multiple Monitors in Remote Desktop Session

And this one has a matrix of how the multi-mon support works across different guest OSes
Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) Team Blog : Remote Desktop Connection 7 for Windows 7, Windows XP & Windows Vista
Awesome! On that note, is the enabling integration essentially just RDC into the VPC?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2010   #48
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James O'Neill View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
Does Virtual PC 2007 support 64 bit operating systems?
I know this is a little late, but yes - Download Windows XP Mode. I'm using it as we speak. Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Yes I know this is the download for XP Mode, but you can also download Virtual PC from there as well since XP Mode uses it. Once you select your OS, the download link will pop up

The bigger question (for those wondering) Is can your PC run Virtual PC? Windows Virtual PC: Configure BIOS
Just be aware we have Virtual PC 2007 and newer better Windows Virtual PC which is based on the same technology. Both have variants for 64 bit host operating systems but they can only support 32 bit guest operating systems.
Hi James,

I'm not sure I get what you're saying?

I'm currently using XP mode with Virtual PC on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Virtual PC seems to be working just fine. Perhaps I'm missing something, or not understanding Virtual PC.

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2010   #49
Edwin Yuen

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Edwin Yuen View Post
Awesome! On that note, is the enabling integration essentially just RDC into the VPC?
No, the integration components are much more than just RDC. They add drivers and support to the OS. I defer to VirtualPC Guy Ben Armstong on it.

Virtual PC Guy's WebLog : What is Integrated Mode in Windows Virtual PC?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2010   #50
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by James O'Neill View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post

I know this is a little late, but yes - Download Windows XP Mode. I'm using it as we speak. Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Yes I know this is the download for XP Mode, but you can also download Virtual PC from there as well since XP Mode uses it. Once you select your OS, the download link will pop up

The bigger question (for those wondering) Is can your PC run Virtual PC? Windows Virtual PC: Configure BIOS
Just be aware we have Virtual PC 2007 and newer better Windows Virtual PC which is based on the same technology. Both have variants for 64 bit host operating systems but they can only support 32 bit guest operating systems.
Hi James,

I'm not sure I get what you're saying?

I'm currently using XP mode with Virtual PC on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Virtual PC seems to be working just fine. Perhaps I'm missing something, or not understanding Virtual PC.

Thanks.
Hello Sygnus,

It just means that it does not support having 64-bit virtual machines (guest), but can use it on a 64-bit Windows 7 (host). That's all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Post your questions to the MSFT Virtualization team




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How is Parallels virtualization different from normal virtualization?
I started thinking about our computers.. why we cannot run two operating systems on the same computer at the same time - without virtualization. We have plenty of Ram these days and often 2 or 4 Central Processing Units. Surely someone could come up with a way to make this work. So I started...
Virtualization
Cisco, Citrix team to push desktop virtualization
More: Cisco, Citrix team to push desktop virtualization | ZDNet
News
CAUTION!<---Make sure MSFT doesn't GIVE you TWO KEYS!=MSFT=wasteful
I just realized that once you get a key and click on DOWNLOAD, MSFT gives you yet ANOTHER KEY and of course it will work (all the keys work, 32 works for 64, 64 works for 32, et-cetera), this means MSFT is being wasteful and we will ALL be getting 2 keys. Make sure when you click on DOWNLOAD,...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:10.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App