Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: remove file but need permission

20 Jan 2010   #1
kaschiro

win 7
 
 
remove file but need permission

I downloaded the virtual xp and installed it on my pc and the cpu could not handle it....so I tried to unistall it and no go....I went to system restore and tried to uninstall it there and was some what successful, but I went to the program file and there it was all 1.8gig of it....I tried to delete it from the hd and I got this message " need permission from system to make changes"..ok I really do not need this program as everything works, so I want to remove the file into cyberspace as it is taking up valuable disk space...how do I get rid of it easily!!...I want it gone!!
Kas


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Jan 2010   #2
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kaschiro View Post
I downloaded the virtual xp and installed it on my pc and the cpu could not handle it....so I tried to unistall it and no go....I went to system restore and tried to uninstall it there and was some what successful, but I went to the program file and there it was all 1.8gig of it....I tried to delete it from the hd and I got this message " need permission from system to make changes"..ok I really do not need this program as everything works, so I want to remove the file into cyberspace as it is taking up valuable disk space...how do I get rid of it easily!!...I want it gone!!
Kas
Right click the folder in question>properties>Security>Click on your user group>Edit>Tick all the boxes.

If you cannot tick the boxes download this
Take Ownership Shortcut

Then right click the file>Take Ownership

Repeat the first process.

Dan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #3
kaschiro

win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kaschiro View Post
I downloaded the virtual xp and installed it on my pc and the cpu could not handle it....so I tried to unistall it and no go....I went to system restore and tried to uninstall it there and was some what successful, but I went to the program file and there it was all 1.8gig of it....I tried to delete it from the hd and I got this message " need permission from system to make changes"..ok I really do not need this program as everything works, so I want to remove the file into cyberspace as it is taking up valuable disk space...how do I get rid of it easily!!...I want it gone!!
Kas
Right click the folder in question>properties>Security>Click on your user group>Edit>Tick all the boxes.

If you cannot tick the boxes download this
Take Ownership Shortcut

Then right click the file>Take Ownership

Repeat the first process.

Dan
Thanks for your time....it did not work...I could not take ownership no matter what I did...is there an other way??
Kas
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jan 2010   #4
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kaschiro View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kaschiro View Post
I downloaded the virtual xp and installed it on my pc and the cpu could not handle it....so I tried to unistall it and no go....I went to system restore and tried to uninstall it there and was some what successful, but I went to the program file and there it was all 1.8gig of it....I tried to delete it from the hd and I got this message " need permission from system to make changes"..ok I really do not need this program as everything works, so I want to remove the file into cyberspace as it is taking up valuable disk space...how do I get rid of it easily!!...I want it gone!!
Kas
Right click the folder in question>properties>Security>Click on your user group>Edit>Tick all the boxes.

If you cannot tick the boxes download this
Take Ownership Shortcut

Then right click the file>Take Ownership

Repeat the first process.

Dan
Thanks for your time....it did not work...I could not take ownership no matter what I did...is there an other way??
Kas
Take Ownership of file - Vista Forums
The manual way:)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 remove file but need permission




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
No permission to remove a folder on MY COMPUTER?
Trying to do a clean install of Discord, I've removed it all from the control panel and removed it from %AppData%/Discord. Having one problem though, I am unable to remove it from %LocalAppData%/Discord, it keeps saying I do not have permission. http://i.imgur.com/NRWOBj6.png The folder...
Software
How To Remove/Change Permission on Loose HDD from other computer?
I had a computer die and I have the hard drive from it hooked into this computer. Tried to copy all the files I wanted to keep off it so's I can format it and use for something else. The (win10) copy prog keeps stopping and telling me I need admin permissions. When I look at the...
General Discussion
You don't have permission to open this file . . . but it's MY file.
I'm receiving this message on pretty much every Office file I try to open - word, publisher etc. I've tried changing ownership but get an "access denied" message. I'm the only one who uses this computer. I tried doing a clean start up with same problem. I'm not computer tech savvy but can...
General Discussion
possible to entirely remove all permission issues?
One thingthats just killing me with W7 is the rights issues. I supposedly have full admin rights and this is my home PC and the only other account is guest. I have run that reg file that gives you the take control option on the right click menu. But there is just no end to prompts telling me i...
General Discussion
Change Permission for File
According to Help and Support, to change a permission fjor a file do the following: Right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties. Click the Security tab, and then click Edit. Do one of the following: To set permissions for a user that is not listed under Group or user...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:45.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App