Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Warning VMLite screws your VirtualBox setup!

19 Mar 2010   #11
huisinro

windows 7
 
 

we will release unqiue features to attract users (xp mode was not the reason we developed vmlite), next version will allow you to virtualize the current running OS instance on the host, so you have an identical os running inside a vm, for example, Windows 7 on Windows 7.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Mar 2010   #12
Kari

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huisinro View Post
Sorry about the problems. It's unfortunate that you got into this. Most likely, Vbox was running at the time you are installing VMLite. Also is VBox 3.1.2 or above? The plugin have been extensively tested against 3.1.2.
VirtualBox 3.1.4-57640. It was most definitely not running.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huisinro View Post
We have more than 50k installations, and more than 200k xpm vms have been created. Thus far, only a few people reported installation issues.
Like I mentioned, I reproduced this exact behavior 3 more times, tried totally 4 times with exactly same results.

What I did not mention is why I reproduced it so many times: I first repeated the same steps once on the rig I first installed VMLite. When result was the same, I installed VirtualBox and VMLite to another rig and tried once which resulted exactly the same, corrupted VirtualBox. Also on this other rig I did it once more, to be sure.

Totally four failures out of four installations, on two computers out of two.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huisinro View Post
By no means VMLite would remove your virtual machine configure files. It stores stuff to a totally different folder. All of your existing vbox config files and virtual disk files should be present. Let me know if not.
Not.
(Virtual disks of course, configuration not)

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #13
huisinro

windows 7
 
 

Need to make sure VBoxSvc.exe was killed before installtion of VMLite Plugin, which is why we recommend a reboot.

With regard to the performance, it takes a few minutes to set up first XP Mode vm, just like Microsoft XP Mode takes a few mins too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Mar 2010   #14
dmex

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
So VMLite, without asking my permission, checked the system location data and decided that this user is certainly happier when we surprise him and change the language of one of the most important applications he has!

Everything works now but you can be absolutely sure that I am never going to use any products from VMLite, and I am going to tell this to anybody who wants to hear about it, using all the possibilities I have.

I have never seen a program behaving this bad, hijacking and destroying another program.

For me that's enough reasons to think that coders at VMLite do not really know what they are doing. You can not make a program like this and not to think what happens to other programs or what happens if user wants to uninstall. Really bad coding practice.

Kari
Kari,

Your going a bit overboard here arnt you?

Huisinro is the lead developer of VMLite, I would hope you listen to his advice and apologize for making insulting comments about him!

Steven
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #15
Kari

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dmex View Post
Kari,

Your going a bit overboard here arnt you?

Huisinro is the lead developer of VMLite, I would hope you listen to his advice and apologize for making insulting comments about him!

Steven
What advice?

Could you please show me where and how I have insulted him?

I have told about my experience about testing the product as honestly as I can. I'm willing to show that my conclusions are accurate and that it really happens, when my word is not enough I can produce a video to show that every word in my original post is true.

Based on these experiences, or rather the results of my experiments, I have stated my honest and sincere opinion.

You can not mean that it's OK to criticize and warn people about non-functioning or problem causing software, but not if the coder is a member of Seven Forums?

I re-read my original post. I'll stay behind every word. I have insulted nobody, I have told about my tests as a very experienced computer and virtualization technology user, and warned people when I noticed how this product has so obvious coding or integration errors it can cause a lot of trouble and problems, not to mention the time waisted.

Those members who have read my posts should know I'll always apologize when I'm done or said something wrong.

In this matter, I have nothing to apologize.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #16
huisinro

windows 7
 
 

I think what you experienced is some extreme case, that somehow got messed up during one of the installation steps.

I just tested it again, and works fine.

Make sure you have downloaded the correct file from our site. If you have already installed VirtualBox, then you need the VMLite Plugin.

If you install the full VMLite Workstation, when VirtualBox is detected, it will issue an warning that says VMLite is not compatiable with VirtualBox, and the installation will stop at that moment.

If you install VMLite Plugin, it is compatible with VirtualBox 3.1.2 and above, but you will have to follow this sequence: Install VirtualBox first, then install VMLite Plugin. Make sure VBoxSvc.exe and other vbox processes are terminated.

What you experienced here has not been experienced by other users, and the number of other users are many many more than a single user, so to generalize a conclusion based on a single case is difficult. All software has bugs, but we won't release a product if it does something like that, and we wouldn't call it a plugin if it's so conflicted with VirtualBox.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #17
dmex

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dmex View Post
Kari,

Your going a bit overboard here arnt you?

Huisinro is the lead developer of VMLite, I would hope you listen to his advice and apologize for making insulting comments about him!

Steven
What advice?

Could you please show me where and how I have insulted him?

I have told about my experience about testing the product as honestly as I can. I'm willing to show that my conclusions are accurate and that it really happens, when my word is not enough I can produce a video to show that every word in my original post is true.

Based on these experiences, or rather the results of my experiments, I have stated my honest and sincere opinion.

You can not mean that it's OK to criticize and warn people about non-functioning or problem causing software, but not if the coder is a member of Seven Forums?

I re-read my original post. I'll stay behind every word. I have insulted nobody, I have told about my tests as a very experienced computer and virtualization technology user, and warned people when I noticed how this product has so obvious coding or integration errors it can cause a lot of trouble and problems, not to mention the time waisted.

Those members who have read my posts should know I'll always apologize when I'm done or said something wrong.

In this matter, I have nothing to apologize.

Kari
Did you read all of what I quoted?

Quote:
Everything works now but you can be absolutely sure that I am never going to use any products from VMLite, and I am going to tell this to anybody who wants to hear about it, using all the possibilities I have.

I have never seen a program behaving this bad, hijacking and destroying another program.

For me that's enough reasons to think that coders at VMLite do not really know what they are doing. You can not make a program like this and not to think what happens to other programs or what happens if user wants to uninstall. Really bad coding practice.
You didnt follow the instructions, had problems, decided to blame VMLite for your mistake, had a huge rant to make it look like it wasn't your fault, then to top it off you said Huisinro doesnt know what he is doing.

Its obvious you didn't bother to get support or ask Huisinro, Now instead of contacting the VMLite support or Huisinro, you ranted and made insulting/stupid comments and yet you still dont see how the comments I quoted are insulting?

As a developer myself, I find all of these actions quite offensive, If you bothered contacting him first or at least attempting to get support then it would all be a different story.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #18
Kari

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huisinro View Post
Make sure you have downloaded the correct file from our site. If you have already installed VirtualBox, then you need the VMLite Plugin.
I have Virtual PC, VirtualBox and WMware virtualization software installed.

A few questions:
  1. Could you please show me where on your website or published documentation could I find the information, that although Virtual PC and WMware are not affected when installing VMLite XP Mode, you can not install it when VirtualBox is present? That you must instead of full version use VirtualBox plugin?
  2. Where on your website or published documentation could I find the information, that VMLite (full) is not compatible with VirtualBox?
  3. Which of these two files you would download and install, if your sole purpose was to test the full version of VMLite XP Mode:
    Warning VMLite screws your VirtualBox setup!-vml_2.png

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huisinro View Post
If you install the full VMLite Workstation, when VirtualBox is detected, it will issue an warning that says VMLite is not compatiable with VirtualBox, and the installation will stop at that moment.
Simply not true. Installation went to the end without a glitch.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huisinro View Post
What you experienced here has not been experienced by other users, and the number of other users are many many more than a single user, so to generalize a conclusion based on a single case is difficult. All software has bugs, but we won't release a product if it does something like that, and we wouldn't call it a plugin if it's so conflicted with VirtualBox.
I'm not calling it a plugin, neither. I did not test a plugin. I tested the full version.

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #19
huisinro

windows 7
 
 

The plugin was announced to our registered users in our forum, with instructions:

VMLite XP Mode Plugin for VirtualBox released - VMLite

The second setup exe should be the one to use, in addition to your existing VBox installation.

If you use first exe, then it should stop to install if VBox is detected. We check this key to determine whether VBox is installed, the following is the warning dialog:



[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sun\VirtualBox]
"InstallDir"="C:\Program Files\Sun\VirtualBox\"

If somehow, your computer has the above key deleted, then VMLite may proceed to install, as if there is no VBox on the computer.


Attached Images
Warning VMLite screws your VirtualBox setup!-vmlite-vbox-warning.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #20
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huisinro View Post
The plugin was announced to our registered users in our forum, with instructions:

VMLite XP Mode Plugin for VirtualBox released - VMLite

The second setup exe should be the one to use, in addition to your existing VBox installation.

If you use first exe, then it should stop to install if VBox is detected. We check this key to determine whether VBox is installed, the following is the warning dialog:



[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sun\VirtualBox]
"InstallDir"="C:\Program Files\Sun\VirtualBox\"

If somehow, your computer has the above key deleted, then VMLite may proceed to install, as if there is no VBox on the computer.
so this is the install check right?
the check just needs to have that key in the registry if i got it correct to pop-up
do you also have a check for wow6432node (32 bit VB in 64 win (i believe from the looks of it should ))?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Warning VMLite screws your VirtualBox setup!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
XP x64 in VirtualBox on Win7 x64 optimum setup
What would be the best configuration for the Virtual Computer? I have 8 Cores in the system, would putting 8 in the XP VM be good or bad How much memory? Depending on how you look at it, I have 16, 15, 12, or 11 Gigs. As for use of the systems: Right now, it is the only desktop in...
Virtualization
corsair h60 screws
Hey guys I would like to run my corsair h60 in push pull how ever I can't seem to find any retailers of the screw length / size that I require any help? Cheers-storm
Hardware & Devices
Anyone tried Vboot from VMLite?
It sounds like it will let you boot into a Windows XP VHD. So first you downloaded and install XM mode, which will give you the XP Pro in a VHD. Then install VBoot? Sounds interesting?
Virtualization
VMLite XP Mode x Virtual machine
I did not find any conclusive article on the difference between deploying a virtual machine in W7, or using the VMLIte, using its the XP mode. Mainly, the following: XP Mode consumes so many hardware resources as the virtual machine (for instance the RAM)?:sarc:
Virtualization
Seamless Mode in VMLite
How do you exit seamless mode in VMLite?
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App