Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows XP Mode Questions

27 May 2010   #21
RP McIntosh

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
If you are not browsing online when having the XP Mode running or want to browse a little safer you can go to an immediary site first It's the Windows for all site someone set up with a working IE you use there to leave no tracking cookies or be exposed to data miners and other bugs since that isolates you entirely. SilveOS.com - Silverlight operating system

I've been using when checking out any new sites with question marks before running into any nasties! That works like an extra layer of protection there.

The active shield portion should be able to be started up manually once the desktop is fully loaded if you find that is causing any concerns. You may even want to raise the allotted memory up to 2gb since you have adequate system memory to run multiple VMs at present to see if you are running into a lack of resources type problem rather any software conflicts.

The Brothersoft reference was simply one version of The Daily Journal found among other similar programs and may only be similar by name alone. Run a search on Bing and you'll find numerous links for those!
I'll look into the site you mention.

The Live Update isn't set to run automatically. But it sort of ends up that way, if it is the first virtual application I start. That is, (unless I'm mistaken in my thinking--always a possibility for me), the very first XP Mode application I start is sort of running on startup, since presumably, when I click the Live Update under the XP Mode applications, it must first start the Virtual Machine and XP Mode, and then, once they are up and running, the order to run Live Update is waiting. My intent was to not have to open XP Mode itself but once a month, to do the Windows Update--the rest of the time, I would simply run the XP Mode applications to make my Daily Journal entries, update the antivirus definitions, and copy my backup file to my backup drive.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 May 2010   #22
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Once you have all of the XP updates on the only thing that should be seen is any updates for the XP Mode itself or the VPC at this point. SP3 is already included in the XP Mode.

The site is the Windows4all site someone set up some time back for those who have never run any version of Windows before since schools often use another OS on branded hardwares. You can download onto the VHD however even using the site's version of IE there while that does add a small layer inbetween you and any possible bad sites you happen into.

For backing files up and having no worries of bringing any bugs onto the main host OS and your regular drives another option besides even a second HD would be using the SkyDrive seen in the Windows Live Hotmail. With that you upload directly into folders you create online not on any internal drive.

You can then download any file into a folder set up for receiving on a separate drive if you have more then one and run separate scans to insure nothing coming from the XP Mode is bugged. But that requires creating a Windows Live id and download + install of the Live Hotmail setup to get that going.

Having other VMs without the direct access to internal drives seen there as with the integrated components in the XP Mode the Gladinet CloudDesktop program creates a folder on the vhd as well as your main drive to act like a go between since all you do is drag files into the folder for automatic uploads to your SkyDrive folders online.

Just an added thought while it does add a new step in the process to consider rather then going to the SkyDrive section online and browsing to the same folders you create there for storage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2010   #23
RP McIntosh

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Once you have all of the XP updates on the only thing that should be seen is any updates for the XP Mode itself or the VPC at this point. SP3 is already included in the XP Mode.

The site is the Windows4all site someone set up some time back for those who have never run any version of Windows before since schools often use another OS on branded hardwares. You can download onto the VHD however even using the site's version of IE there while that does add a small layer inbetween you and any possible bad sites you happen into.

For backing files up and having no worries of bringing any bugs onto the main host OS and your regular drives another option besides even a second HD would be using the SkyDrive seen in the Windows Live Hotmail. With that you upload directly into folders you create online not on any internal drive.

You can then download any file into a folder set up for receiving on a separate drive if you have more then one and run separate scans to insure nothing coming from the XP Mode is bugged. But that requires creating a Windows Live id and download + install of the Live Hotmail setup to get that going.

Having other VMs without the direct access to internal drives seen there as with the integrated components in the XP Mode the Gladinet CloudDesktop program creates a folder on the vhd as well as your main drive to act like a go between since all you do is drag files into the folder for automatic uploads to your SkyDrive folders online.

Just an added thought while it does add a new step in the process to consider rather then going to the SkyDrive section online and browsing to the same folders you create there for storage.
Thanks for all the information. It will take me a while to digest it all. But I appreciate the info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 May 2010   #24
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

I can't pinpoint if it is or isn't Norton or The DJ program there. This is something you have to find out on your own there like I found some programs simply would go on but not run in the virtual environment as they would on a normal Windows install.

Bringing the ram available upto 2gb or just a little higher will suffice and leave some extra onhand to avoid any out of resources problem once you add a few more things on at some point. Here I was running 3 or 4 vhs at the same time having Virtual Box running at the same time as the XP Mode to see where those limits were going to be seen.

You'll get it worked out however. You may end up having to go with a smaller av program like the MS Security Essentials on the XP Mode and leave Norton strictly for your main host installation there. You would stll have a degree of protection inplace with that. The other ideas are workarounds when having doubts about possible risks in order to isolate things a bit further.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2010   #25
RP McIntosh

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
I can't pinpoint if it is or isn't Norton or The DJ program there. This is something you have to find out on your own there like I found some programs simply would go on but not run in the virtual environment as they would on a normal Windows install.

Bringing the ram available upto 2gb or just a little higher will suffice and leave some extra onhand to avoid any out of resources problem once you add a few more things on at some point. Here I was running 3 or 4 vhs at the same time having Virtual Box running at the same time as the XP Mode to see where those limits were going to be seen.

You'll get it worked out however. You may end up having to go with a smaller av program like the MS Security Essentials on the XP Mode and leave Norton strictly for your main host installation there. You would stll have a degree of protection inplace with that. The other ideas are workarounds when having doubts about possible risks in order to isolate things a bit further.
Thanks for the input. Having spent the last two weeks in the hospital, and still not getting around real well, I find I need to prioritize my computer activities. This one, at the moment, fits into the "minor annoyance" category, so as time and my physical endurance permit, I'll work on it. I do appreciate all of your insight, and your generosity in sharing your experience.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2010   #26
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

You'll get there! With something this new while most here had previously run the RC version of the XP Mode last year if their hardwares supported it

With some programs written for XP I've run into dll library errors on some occasions showing not everything is going to work out well there anyways. You simply have to go with what does.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2010   #27
RP McIntosh

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
You'll get there! With something this new while most here had previously run the RC version of the XP Mode last year if their hardwares supported it

With some programs written for XP I've run into dll library errors on some occasions showing not everything is going to work out well there anyways. You simply have to go with what does.

Well, for the moment, it's merely an annoyance (and it hasn't put in an appearance in the last 3 days). As time permits, I'll do some experimenting, and let everyone know if I come across anything interesting.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2010   #28
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

That's actually all you can do! For anything you install and run and then see some problem you have retrace all your steps and then make some adjustments to see if any problem is solved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2012   #29
nixie21

NY
 
 

I do get that message about logging off. I hit continue, but the application does not launch. The whole virtual machine opens with a box on the top saying starting virtual application (which never starts!!!) any clues???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows XP Mode Questions




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Questions About Enabling AHCI Mode After Windows Seven Install
I have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD (256 GB) and I installed windows seven on it, but not in AHCI Mode. I was going to change that now using this method: GUIDE - Enabling AHCI mode AFTER Windows 7 Installation - Guru3D.com Forums It says that it works for all Intel SSDs, I assume this would work with...
Hardware & Devices
Windows doesn't login properly in normal mode but fine in safe mode
Hi, I got win 7 home premium 64 bit on an i3 laptop. My system worked fine until today morning. The problem is this; When I boot the system in normal mode, I get to the part where I need to enter my password to login. Once i do that, all I get is a black screen with the mouse pointer that...
General Discussion
General questions about being in administrator mode.
Hello everyone, I am looking for general information about how my new Windows 7 equipped PC will act/appear when working in administrator mode. I was wondering why when i logged onto my PC as administrator that: 1) My desktop changed appearance and now looks like it did the first time i started...
General Discussion
Windows Normal Mode Crashes to BSOD and Safe Mode doesn't load
I need some help please as I do not know where to start. I installed a Windows Update a few days ago and then got a BSOD the next time I turned my PC on. So I did a system recovery and this seemed to work. Now, it's happened again without me doing a Windows Update and I cannot get into...
BSOD Help and Support
Sorry for some Virtual PC & XP Mode noob questions but...
Hello all Sorry for some probably very redundant Virtual PC and XP Mode noob questions and for not finding these on my one via a search but with several to ask and probably ones common enough to get a million results, I was just hoping I could put them all into one post. As well,...
Virtualization
Some Questions about XP Mode
First off I installed Win 7 RC in Virtual PC 2007 (didnt have an extra hdd to test it on). I tried to install the XP Mode RC and Virtual PC RC on it and it didnt work, I dont know why, perhaps because it would be a VM inside a VM or maybe I need to change the VM's bios? But now for some...
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:55.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App