Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Stop Windows Update from Reminding Me About IE10

17 Apr 2011   #21
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unifex View Post
Windows 7 is not XP. Indeed, in the XP days it was not possible to remove Windows Explorer without rendering the system very unstable. In Windows 7 it is very simple to remove IE:

Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> uncheck Internet Explorer -> OK, apply, maybe reboot.

Now, this of course removes icons and links, but does it remove the actual code? I don't think so. There are several Windows features that use Internet access and I bet they simply use the IE code without "running the IE itself" if that makes any sense. What I mean by that is you don't get an IE window and don't have a corresponding process in Task Manager.

However, what I don't know is whether Windows Update will want you to update to IE9 even if you "turn off" the IE by the above method. Logically thinking it should not (why update the removed program?) but at the same time the vulnerabilities in the other network-aware code should be patched somehow. I am not sure how separated these things actually are.

But at least, if you turn off the IE, you don't need to worry about using it. At the same time, you can have it installed and still not use it. Is there any advantage of uninstalling IE vs simply ignoring it? I don't know any, unless a few MB of space are crucial for you.
That only turns off user access to it. It is still used by Windows Update and other internal functions.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Apr 2011   #22
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jrbeejay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jacksunny View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
Well how do you uninstall IE8.
Quit simple for UE users as it is not included but for us USA users that is another story, I think.
I'm not sure if this is true for Windows 7, but I know it is for XP. You can't uninstall it because you NEED Internet Explorer.
Many programs use internet explorer, expecially in the .NET framework (something used to create programs). If you remove Internet Explorer, many applications will be useless. This is also why you should upgrade to IE9. Then you just set a different browser as your default and remove the IE9 icons from the desktop and start menu.
I use a programme called OpenBVE, a train simulator, which relies on .NET. I run this very satisfactory without IE fitted at all on my computer, you guys in the US have listened to too much propoganda from MS, you do not need IE. I still use MS as my OS, but do not use IE or WM
Congratulations?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2011   #23
jrbeejay

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jrbeejay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post

You should still install IE9 for the security enhancements and integration with other products. You may not be actively using it, but your system still does. Not installing updates exposes you to vulnerabilities you may not be aware of. Don't let stubbornness cause your system to be non-secure. If you're that anti-MS, use Linux.
I see no reason to install IE9 if you have no other version of IE on your PC. If you are using Firefox4 then you do not need IE at all . I have three computers at home , all running windows 7 and no IE at all. I do run MS Flight Sim but I do not need IE for that.
This is an incorrect as you can be. You DO have IE. It is included with Windows. Other functions in Windows such as Windows Update use it. Why are you so resistant? What is IE9 going to do to hurt you?
Under EU law MS cannot put IE or WMP into the OS as this is a monopoly. MS were fined Billions of euros as they lost there case. It is a choice thing, as stated previously, I have 3 computers with W7 and have no problems as all have firefox 4 loaded. I am not against IE9, just prefer Firefox 4 or Chrome
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Apr 2011   #24
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jrbeejay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jrbeejay View Post
I see no reason to install IE9 if you have no other version of IE on your PC. If you are using Firefox4 then you do not need IE at all . I have three computers at home , all running windows 7 and no IE at all. I do run MS Flight Sim but I do not need IE for that.
This is an incorrect as you can be. You DO have IE. It is included with Windows. Other functions in Windows such as Windows Update use it. Why are you so resistant? What is IE9 going to do to hurt you?
Under EU law MS cannot put IE or WMP into the OS as this is a monopoly. MS were fined Billions of euros as they lost there case. It is a choice thing, as stated previously, I have 3 computers with W7 and have no problems as all have firefox 4 loaded. I am not against IE9, just prefer Firefox 4 or Chrome
I hear you, and know about those laws, but trust me, IE is still "under the hood." You just can't bring up the GUI part of it.

Also, no one is talking about preference. We are talking about installing updates to software as a security practice. I use Firefox as well 90% of the time, but when an update is pushed, I'm damn well going to install it. MS knows their OS better than I do, and if they feel an update is necessary, I'm not going to question it. If it messes something up, well, I'll use System Restore and go back to before I installed it. But even then, I will find out why the update failed, fix the problem and make SURE that it is installed on my systems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2011   #25
jrbeejay

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jrbeejay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post

This is an incorrect as you can be. You DO have IE. It is included with Windows. Other functions in Windows such as Windows Update use it. Why are you so resistant? What is IE9 going to do to hurt you?
Under EU law MS cannot put IE or WMP into the OS as this is a monopoly. MS were fined Billions of euros as they lost there case. It is a choice thing, as stated previously, I have 3 computers with W7 and have no problems as all have firefox 4 loaded. I am not against IE9, just prefer Firefox 4 or Chrome
I hear you, and know about those laws, but trust me, IE is still "under the hood." You just can't bring up the GUI part of it.
Maybe you are right, but I get all updates from MS, and not once have I been offered any for either IE8 or IE9, so I suspect you are wrong.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2011   #26
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

IE9 is so recent, that indeed there were no updates for it so far. The following updates for IE8 were installed on my system (you can go to Windows updates and look up the update history): KB2447568, KB2360131, KB2362765, KB2398632, KB2183461, KB982664, and so on - that's about how much patience I had typing these things . Granted, this is way less than the overall amount of updates, but it just shows that I am rather confused by the statement

"and not once have I been offered any for either IE8 or IE9".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2011   #27
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MacGyvr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unifex View Post
Windows 7 is not XP. Indeed, in the XP days it was not possible to remove Windows Explorer without rendering the system very unstable. In Windows 7 it is very simple to remove IE:

Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> uncheck Internet Explorer -> OK, apply, maybe reboot.

Now, this of course removes icons and links, but does it remove the actual code? I don't think so. There are several Windows features that use Internet access and I bet they simply use the IE code without "running the IE itself" if that makes any sense. What I mean by that is you don't get an IE window and don't have a corresponding process in Task Manager.

However, what I don't know is whether Windows Update will want you to update to IE9 even if you "turn off" the IE by the above method. Logically thinking it should not (why update the removed program?) but at the same time the vulnerabilities in the other network-aware code should be patched somehow. I am not sure how separated these things actually are.

But at least, if you turn off the IE, you don't need to worry about using it. At the same time, you can have it installed and still not use it. Is there any advantage of uninstalling IE vs simply ignoring it? I don't know any, unless a few MB of space are crucial for you.
That only turns off user access to it. It is still used by Windows Update and other internal functions.
That's basically what I've said.

The question remains though, will you still get IE updates and in particular would you be offered IE9 if you've already disabled IE8 this way?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2011   #28
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jrbeejay View Post
Under EU law MS cannot put IE or WMP into the OS as this is a monopoly. MS were fined Billions of euros as they lost there case. It is a choice thing,
Rather, this is the interpretation of the anti-trust law by the European Commission. Given that they have no complaints regarding bundling of Safari with MacOS and Konquerer with Linux (or the necessity of using iTunes with iPods/iPads) - I don't buy this interpretation at all. As a result, I absolutely refuse to use Opera and RealPlayer - whose makers basically started the whole thing by filing complaints with the Commission and I definitely do not use any of those "N" versions of Windows. No Commission is going to tell me which OS or browser to use.

I am actually typing this in Firefox. That's my choice. But I do have IE9 on my system as well. And it is my choice not to disable it. I don't believe that EU bureaucrats have any right to even voice their opinion on that choice, let alone trying to trick me into using the "European" browser.

I also totally hate the "localization" features of any consumer products - the fact that for example the same model of the same Blu-Ray player sold in Germany and in the US behave rather differently, but there is not much I can do except for making the thing region-free. But that of course is the subject of the whole other rant.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2011   #29
jrbeejay

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unifex View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jrbeejay View Post
Under EU law MS cannot put IE or WMP into the OS as this is a monopoly. MS were fined Billions of euros as they lost there case. It is a choice thing,
Rather, this is the interpretation of the anti-trust law by the European Commission. Given that they have no complaints regarding bundling of Safari with MacOS and Konquerer with Linux (or the necessity of using iTunes with iPods/iPads) - I don't buy this interpretation at all. As a result, I absolutely refuse to use Opera and RealPlayer - whose makers basically started the whole thing by filing complaints with the Commission and I definitely do not use any of those "N" versions of Windows. No Commission is going to tell me which OS or browser to use.

I am actually typing this in Firefox. That's my choice. But I do have IE9 on my system as well. And it is my choice not to disable it. I don't believe that EU bureaucrats have any right to even voice their opinion on that choice, let alone trying to trick me into using the "European" browser.

I also totally hate the "localization" features of any consumer products - the fact that for example the same model of the same Blu-Ray player sold in Germany and in the US behave rather differently, but there is not much I can do except for making the thing region-free. But that of course is the subject of the whole other rant.
I can only agree with you, I will not have anything with the Apple name on it because I like to choose what I run, not be told what I can run. However, MS was a monopoly, and is seen as such by a lot of US citizens as well, even if I agree with you re the EU and its ruling. I do have a choice, I do not have IE8 or IE9 on my computer and I have not received any patch update that mac listed on my non IE computers. However, I have checked my grandsons, computer, he uses from my house on my wirelesss network, and he does have those updates because he uses IE8, and now IE9. IE is a web browser, not an OS, why should you need it, it used to be part of the OS, but is not now and I bet you can remove it if you tried as well. That is if you wanted to of course, do not get me wrong, if IE8 or 9 was fitted to my computer I would leave it alone, but it does not come with a european MS OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2011   #30
unifex

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jrbeejay View Post
I can only agree with you, I will not have anything with the Apple name on it because I like to choose what I run, not be told what I can run. However, MS was a monopoly, and is seen as such by a lot of US citizens as well, even if I agree with you re the EU and its ruling. I do have a choice, I do not have IE8 or IE9 on my computer and I have not received any patch update that mac listed on my non IE computers. However, I have checked my grandsons, computer, he uses from my house on my wirelesss network, and he does have those updates because he uses IE8, and now IE9. IE is a web browser, not an OS, why should you need it, it used to be part of the OS, but is not now and I bet you can remove it if you tried as well. That is if you wanted to of course, do not get me wrong, if IE8 or 9 was fitted to my computer I would leave it alone, but it does not come with a european MS OS.

So, given your Original Post, do you still get the suggestion to "update" to IE9 through Windows Update on the system without IE8? Or you were talking about other computers were you had IE8?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Stop Windows Update from Reminding Me About IE10




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cannot install IE10 from Windows Update, Error 9C57
When I attempted to install IE10 from Windows Update, the update failed with Error 9C57. There was also a prior failure (also this morning) to install an optional update, Platform Update for Windows 7 x64 edition (KB2670838). Finally, while this may be entirely unrelated, I noticed earlier...
Windows Updates & Activation
*Only* IE10 install fails in Windows Update
First of all, I'm new here, so try to be patient as I stumble through the rules. :confused: Normally I'm pretty good at fixing software issues, but this one has me stumped. I have a machine running Win7 h/p which seems to have installed any other updates fine, but always chokes on IE10,...
Windows Updates & Activation
Cannot Install IE10 From Windows Update
Hello there, My computer was victim to some malware and that seems to be cleared up but I am now not able to install Internet Explorer 10 through windows update. I am receiving an error code of 9C59. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Attached is my CBS.zip
Windows Updates & Activation
Update to IE9 or IE10 after Windows 7 install
I just installed Windows 7 Pro and it came with IE8. Windows Update has an "important" update for IE10 and a "optional" update for IE9. Can I safely skip the IE9 update and go straight to IE10?
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 HP x64 Update IE10 Error Code 9C59
Have spent all afternoon trying to sort this and am close to giving up but thought I would post some logs in here in one last attempt. Have completed all important and optional Windows updates but the installation of IE10 fails everytime with error 9C59. Have tried manual download and same issues....
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update keeps reminding me of updates I don't want to install?
Hi there, Windows update keeps sending me reminders for updates I want to disregard, particularly "Windows Malicious Software Tool". Is there any way to tell the system once I un-check that particular update that I don't want it and don't desire to be prompted to download it all the time? ...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App