Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: updates notification

04 Jun 2011   #1
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 
updates notification

Win 7 Home Premium, IE9.
Security program : MSE

My Windows Updates is set at manual.

For the past few days, some thing strange happened.....
I received notification for an update > opened my Windows Update, and it said it is fully updated.
Then I clicked open Check for Updates, sure enough there was an optional update. So I installed it.
That happened at least 3 times.
All the optional updates are for Definition update for Microsoft Security Essentials.
Can some one explain this issue ?

Another question ......
Why are those definition updates categorized as " optional " ???

Thank you.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Jun 2011   #2
niemiro

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dhu View Post
Another question ......
Why are those definition updates categorized as " optional " ???

Thank you.
Hello!

I shall answer that question.

There is actually a very specific reason. Say that you have MSE set to auto-install updates at 14:00 every day (actually set by auto scan at 14:00, and update before a scan). Say that Microsoft happen to release an update at 8:00, and you happen to check Windows Update at 10:00.

The MSE definition updates will be shown, but are marked as optional because if ignored they will be installed within 24 hours (at 14:00 in this example)

I know they are a bit disconcerting, I know how you feel, but they will auto-install given time.

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jun 2011   #3
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dhu View Post
Another question ......
Why are those definition updates categorized as " optional " ???

Thank you.
Hello!

I shall answer that question.

There is actually a very specific reason. Say that you have MSE set to auto-install updates at 14:00 every day (actually set by auto scan at 14:00, and update before a scan). Say that Microsoft happen to release an update at 8:00, and you happen to check Windows Update at 10:00.

The MSE definition updates will be shown, but are marked as optional because if ignored they will be installed within 24 hours (at 14:00 in this example)

I know they are a bit disconcerting, I know how you feel, but they will auto-install given time.

Richard
Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jun 2011   #4
niemiro

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Thanks a lot, and glad to have been of assistance! What about "I received notification for an update > opened my Windows Update, and it said it is fully updated.". I am afraid to say that I don't know the exact answer to that. Do you want me to see if somebody else does?

Thanks a lot!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2011   #5
t-4-2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
Thanks a lot, and glad to have been of assistance! What about "I received notification for an update > opened my Windows Update, and it said it is fully updated.". I am afraid to say that I don't know the exact answer to that. Do you want me to see if somebody else does?

Thanks a lot!
It is not urgent, but yes, I'd like to know why Windows Update window said there was no update for me when there was an optional update waiting.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 updates notification




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
updates available but NO system tray or shutdown notification
updates are set to "check for updates but let me choose...". when updates were available, the system used to 1) show a system tray notification AND 2) notify me about available updates unfortunatelly, I realised that nor 1) or 2) happens already for months; despite the fact that...
Windows Updates & Activation
when windows updates ready icon does not appear in notification area
Windows updates set to notify if available including ms products. Cleared out tray notification icons in registry sfc /scannow found no errors SURT KB 947821 does not complete successfully WU icon set to show icon and notify tried resorting from system image from April 2015. It worked until...
Windows Updates & Activation
Notification Center: Updates Icon Keeps Saying Windows 10 Tech Preview
So, I was thinking about installing Windows 10 Technical Preview on my computer. But, now I have backed out due to concerns of it not being finished. My problem is that the Windows Updates icon in the Notifications Center keeps saying Windows 10 Technical Preview is ready. I have already hidden the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Kill off annoying 'updates ready' notification?
There are a number of updates that are either not applicable or not wanted that I remove the check in the check-off box when I install. However, there appears to be no way to 'hide' or 'remove' those updates from the list. Consequently, even though I've updated my machine in the manner in which...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows updates notification keeps flashing
Hi, In XP if we reject some update(Malicious Software Tool), then there was a dialog box saying do not notify about this updates later. But in windows 7 I am not observing any of this dialog box and the rejected updates keep flashing daily. Is there any solution to stop this? Thanks.
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:07.
Twitter Facebook Google+