Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for August 9 2016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 163
    windows 7
       #1

    Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for August 9 2016


    Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for August 9 2016

    Note: There may be latency issues due to replication, if the page does not display keep refreshing

    Today Microsoft released the following Security Bulletin(s).

    Note https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/default and https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dn440717 are authoritative in all matters concerning Microsoft Security Bulletins! ANY e-mail, web board or newsgroup posting (including this one) should be verified by visiting these sites for official information. Microsoft never sends security or other updates as attachments. These updates must be downloaded from the microsoft.com download center or Windows Update. See the individual bulletins for details.
    Because some malicious messages attempt to masquerade as official Microsoft security notices, it is recommended that you physically type the URLs into your web browser and not click on the hyperlinks provided.

    Bulletin Summary:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...urity/ms16-aug



    Critical (5)
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (3177356)
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-095 - Critical

    Cumulative Security Update for Microsoft Edge 3177358 }
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-096 - Critical


    Security Update for Microsoft Graphics Component (3177393)
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-097 - Critical


    Security Update for Microsoft Office (3177451)
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-099 - Critical


    Security Update for Microsoft Windows PDF Library (3182248}
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-102 - Critical



    important(4)
    Security Update for Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers (3178466)
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-098 - Important

    Security Update for Secure Boot (3179577)
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-100 - Important

    Security Update for Windows Authentication Methods (3178465)
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-101 - Important

    Security Update for ActiveSyncProvider
    (3182332)
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-103 - Important


    Please note that Microsoft may release bulletins out side of this schedule if we determine the need to do so.
    If you have any questions regarding the patch or its implementation after reading the above listed bulletin you should contact: For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 800-MICROSOFT (800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 8,137
    Windows 10 64 bit
       #2

    I wish I could get updates on my Win 7. Been way over a month since the last updates. I let it sit for almost an hour today but still searching for updates. My Win 10 updated right away.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 327
    Windows 7 Professional X64 Service Pack 1
       #3

    Whats with the optional updates (2) about keyboards? I think it is just the help menu, but using the words keyboard is confusing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for August 9 2016-op.jpg  
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,760
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
       #4

    What needs to be installed manually to avoid long Windows update check/install times?
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 4,776
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
       #5

    townsbg said:
    What needs to be installed manually to avoid long Windows update check/install times?
    There's been a few things over the last 6 months or so. For me windows updates check today took less than two minutes and currently downloading and installing the updates.

    Also to fix things it seems to depend upon which versions of WUC still show up as installed updates.

    You'd need to report what this finds:

    Code:
    get-hotfix -id KB2990214,KB305026,KB3065987,KB3075851,KB3083324,KB3083710,KB3102810,KB3112343,KB3135445,KB3138612,KB3138615
    EDIT: Also check which of these are installed if any:

    Code:
    get-hotfix -id KB3161664,KB3161608,KB3172605
    From Elevated Command Prompt type Powershell and wait for the PS prompt to appear then run the above.

    Note: For anyone reading this do not assume that all of the above updates need to be installed. Some of them are needed but some are problematic and should be removed.
    Last edited by Callender; 09 Aug 2016 at 17:33. Reason: add info
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,760
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
       #6

    I asked because it seems that every month there is an update to install manually on Vista to aid with the update check. I've already gotten an alert for updates on 7 however in the past the download was stuck on 0kb of 0kb for hours. I wanted to try and avoid that. It looks like I am missing one from your second set and three from your first. Do I need to install those manually?

    PS C:\Users\Administrator> get-hotfix -id KB2990214,KB305026,KB3065987,KB3075851,KB3083324,KB3083710,KB3102810,KB3112343
    ,KB3135445,KB3138612,KB3138615

    Source Description HotFixID InstalledBy InstalledOn
    ------ ----------- -------- ----------- -----------
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB2990214 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 5/6/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3065987 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 7/22/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3075851 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 8/5/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3083710 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 10/17/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3102810 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 11/11/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3112343 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 12/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3135445 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 2/12/2016 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3138612 virtual7\Admi... 4/16/2016 12:00:00 AM
    PS C:\Users\Administrator> get-hotfix -id KB3161664,KB3161608,KB3172605

    Source Description HotFixID InstalledBy InstalledOn
    ------ ----------- -------- ----------- -----------
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3161608 Ben-virtual7\Admi... 7/15/2016 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Security Update KB3161664 Ben-virtual7\Admi... 6/16/2016 12:00:00 AM
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 20,583
    Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
       #7

    Hi,
    Yep a manual search was pretty quick to see these come up
    Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for August 9 2016-8-9-16-new-updates.png
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 20,583
    Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
       #8

    townsbg said:
    I asked because it seems that every month there is an update to install manually on Vista to aid with the update check. I've already gotten an alert for updates on 7 however in the past the download was stuck on 0kb of 0kb for hours. I wanted to try and avoid that. It looks like I am missing one from your second set and three from your first. Do I need to install those manually?

    PS C:\Users\Administrator> get-hotfix -id KB2990214,KB305026,KB3065987,KB3075851,KB3083324,KB3083710,KB3102810,KB3112343
    ,KB3135445,KB3138612,KB3138615

    Source Description HotFixID InstalledBy InstalledOn
    ------ ----------- -------- ----------- -----------
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB2990214 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 5/6/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3065987 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 7/22/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3075851 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 8/5/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3083710 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 10/17/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3102810 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 11/11/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3112343 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 12/12/2015 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3135445 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 2/12/2016 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3138612 virtual7\Admi... 4/16/2016 12:00:00 AM
    PS C:\Users\Administrator> get-hotfix -id KB3161664,KB3161608,KB3172605

    Source Description HotFixID InstalledBy InstalledOn
    ------ ----------- -------- ----------- -----------
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3161608 Ben-virtual7\Admi... 7/15/2016 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Security Update KB3161664 Ben-virtual7\Admi... 6/16/2016 12:00:00 AM
    Hi
    Yep pretty weird but the update is usually the Kernel mode driver update to get the rest to show up
    Most people are very cautious of kernel mode driver updates they seem to screw up more than they fix :)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3177725
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 4,776
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
       #9

    townsbg said:

    Source Description HotFixID InstalledBy InstalledOn
    ------ ----------- -------- ----------- -----------
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB2990214 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM 5/6/2015 12:00:00 AM
    You should remove the above update and reboot.

    [/QUOTE]
    PS C:\Users\Administrator> get-hotfix -id KB3161664,KB3161608,KB3172605

    Source Description HotFixID InstalledBy InstalledOn
    ------ ----------- -------- ----------- -----------
    VIRTUAL7 Update KB3161608 Ben-virtual7\Admi... 7/15/2016 12:00:00 AM
    VIRTUAL7 Security Update KB3161664 Ben-virtual7\Admi... 6/16/2016 12:00:00 AM
    Sorry - forgot to include

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

    It's a pre-requisite for KB3161608 and KB3172605. You have KB3161608 installed but it's been pulled and replaced by KB3172605. KB3172605 includes the lastest Windows Update Client.

    On my machine at home I removed KB3161608 and rebooted before installing KB3172605.

    On my machine at work I installed KB3172605 also leaving KB3161608 installed. Both machines still work. However as KB3161608 has been pulled I'd be inclined to remove it.

    EDIT: Known problem with Intel Bluetooth drivers if KB3172605 is installed. Avoid if you need Intel Bluetooth

    Would suggest:

    First download the installers from MS UPdate Catalog using IE and save them into a folder on your desktop.

    https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

    Uninstall KB2990214 and reboot.
    Get KB3020369 (if missing - check first) install it if you don't have it.
    Reboot if you installed it.
    Uninstall KB3161608
    Reboot.
    Install KB3172605
    Reboot.

    Before each reboot set Windows Update Service to disabled. That should allow you to run the standalone installers for updates without problems.

    Before the final reboot check Windows Update Service is set to Automatic (Delayed Start)

    Then check Task Manager and see if svchost.exe (netsvcs) and Trustedinstaller are running. If so - wait for them to finish before running a manual update check.
    Last edited by Callender; 09 Aug 2016 at 18:19. Reason: add info on Intel Bluetooth issue
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4,776
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
       #10

    ThrashZone said:
    Yep pretty weird but the update is usually the Kernel mode driver update to get the rest to show up
    Most people are very cautious of kernel mode driver updates they seem to screw up more than they fix :)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3177725
    You might just want to try installing this first! For me it showed up straight away in today's list of updates without needing to be pre-installed.

    Even so - if it works it looks like you've also got outdated or pulled updates that could be removed.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07.
Find Us