Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Fresh W7 Install: Tried using WSUS Offline for Updates but....

05 Feb 2019   #1
KokoLoko

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 
Fresh W7 Install: Tried using WSUS Offline for Updates but....

.... Windows Update still lists the same 115 Important Updates after running WSUSOffline!

Custom built desktop, last fresh W7 install at least 5 years ago - love this thing! Finally went for a SSD upgrade and decided for a fresh Windows 7 install.


After installation, Windows Updates had 115 Important updates. Overwhelming. Came to 7Forums for a list of "must-avoid" updates and in the researching process, I came across a post recommending WSUSOffline.

So I decided to try WSUSOffline. I went with the basic selection. It downloaded files for a while. I thought I was being hacked by Russians. Then I went for the install phase, also with the basic settings. No error messages and everything seemed to be fine. Let the machine do its thing overnight, as it took a while.

At the end of the process, after a few reboots, Windows Update still shows the same 115 needed updates. As if WSUSOffline didnt do anything.

Now I am questioning even the validity of WSUSOffline and whether I can trust what it did to the fresh Windows install.

Can someone please shed some light here?

- Is WSUSOffline a trusted tool? It was def crunching a LOT of data.
- Why is Windows Update still listing the same number of updates? Did I mess up the process or is there still something to be done in order to complete the updating process?
- Should I re-install W7 and manually pick updates for the system? If so, then I still need a list of "must avoid" KB. I could not find a definite list of must-avoid or must-install updates.


Thanks in advance!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Feb 2019   #2
KokoLoko

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

WSUS Offline Settings:

Fresh W7 Install: Tried using WSUS Offline for Updates but....-windows-updates_04.png

Fresh W7 Install: Tried using WSUS Offline for Updates but....-windows-updates_05.png


Windows Update AFTER running WSUS Offline:

Fresh W7 Install: Tried using WSUS Offline for Updates but....-windows-updates_01.png

Fresh W7 Install: Tried using WSUS Offline for Updates but....-windows-updates_02.png

Fresh W7 Install: Tried using WSUS Offline for Updates but....-windows-updates_03.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2019   #3
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi KokoLoko,

Welcome to SevenForums!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KokoLoko View Post
.... Windows Update still lists the same 115 Important Updates after running WSUSOffline!

Can someone please shed some light here?

- Should I re-install W7 and manually pick updates for the system? If so, then I still need a list of "must avoid" KB. I could not find a definite list of must-avoid or must-install updates.
A lot of members here use DISM++ [a much faster and easier method] to get the OS upto date with regard to WU's [Windows Updates]. Using M$ Windows update to update your OS involves many hours of downloading, installing and re-booting.

DISM++ [Deployment Image Servicing and Management]

DISM++ is a FREE implementation tool that has the ability to perform Windows Updates [WU]. Some of the advantages [but not all] are:

[1] The GUI is very easy to understand and use.
[2] It is much faster than M$’s WU because it uses a different engine.
[3] It downloads the latest WU DB from the M$ servers, scans your OS, and then lists the updates available.
[4] It doesn’t install superseded updates like M$ does.
[5] It gives you the option of what you want to install.
[6] The pre-ticked updates are what is recommended and are similar to the WU critical and recommended updates. The un-ticked updates are similar to the WU optional updates.

[7] It warns you if an update:
  • Includes telemetry.
  • Has known issues with certain hardware.
  • Needs exclusive access.
  • Is suspect.
  • Your OS doesn't need it.
  • Has any other known issues.
[8] It doesn’t require re-booting between updates.
[9] It can be used to either update an install.wim image OFFLINE, or to update the LIVE OS.

If you want to go down this route then let us know and we will post the procedure.

I hope this helps!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Feb 2019   #4
KokoLoko

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Paul,

Thanks for the feedback. I gather from your response that I had chosen the long (or even wrong) path for this new install. It is still very early in the game that I could easily re-do the Windows 7 install and try this tool you mention.

Is this what you recommend?

If so, how do I get a hold of this DISM++ and what are the steps?

I am basically looking for minimum required Windows Updates - hecka, my previous install run beautifully for more than 5 years with no issues.

Thanks in advance,

BB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2019   #5
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi KokoLoko,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KokoLoko View Post
I gather from your response that I had chosen the long (or even wrong) path for this new install. It is still very early in the game that I could easily re-do the Windows 7 install and try this tool you mention.

Is this what you recommend?

If so, how do I get a hold of this DISM++ and what are the steps?

I am basically looking for minimum required Windows Updates - hecka, my previous install run beautifully for more than 5 years with no issues.
I am not saying that using WSUSOffline is the wrong way to do it, although in your case it appears not to have worked!

You do not need to do a re-installation of the OS in order to use DISM++ to get the OS upto date. As mentioned in my previous post: [9] It can be used to either update an install.wim image OFFLINE, or to update the LIVE OS.

If you want the procedure then I will post it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2019   #6
KokoLoko

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi KokoLoko,
You do not need to do a re-installation of the OS in order to use DISM++ to get the OS upto date. As mentioned in my previous post: [9] It can be used to either update an install.wim image OFFLINE, or to update the LIVE OS.

If you want the procedure then I will post it!
Paul,

I do not know (nor trust) what happened with my attempt with WSUSOffline but I know it crunched a LOT of data, so I rather do another fresh install and try DISM++

Please post the DISM++ procedure to install Windows Updates on a fresh operating Windows 7 Pro x64 install.

Thanks in advance
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2019   #7
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi KokoLoko,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KokoLoko View Post
I do not know (nor trust) what happened with my attempt with WSUSOffline but I know it crunched a LOT of data, so I rather do another fresh install and try DISM++.

Please post the DISM++ procedure to install Windows Updates on a fresh operating Windows 7 Pro x64 install.
I doubt very much that WSUSOffline has done anything serious or harmful to your OS because it is a recognised and trusted utility.

If I was you I would use DISM++ to update your current system. This way you will get a feel for using [and how to use it] DISM++ if you do decide to clean install!

To run the DISM++ [Deployment Image Servicing & Management] utility on the LIVE OS, please follow my instructions below!

NOTE: The light blue text below are links to the relevant websites and programs, just click them!

RECOMMENDED: It is best to run the DISM++ Windows updates a couple of times to make sure you get ALL the updates that are needed. DON’T install ANY of the ORANGE updates though. It can also install the required .NET Framework updates. Then just run WU to see what other updates are available, if any.

DISM++ - Run Windows Updates On The LIVE OS

DISM++ Direct download [zip] => DISM++.

Here is the quick procedure guide:

[1] Download the latest version of DISM++ [see the DISM++ Direct download [zip] link above].
[2] Extract the files using something like 7-Zip here => 7-Zip.
[3] Turn Sleep mode OFF in Power Options [you can turn it back on after you have finished].
[4] Double-click Dism++x86 or Dism++x64 and then click Run.
[5] Click Updates in the left-hand pane and then click Scan [bottom right].
[6] Once the scan has completed, click Install Updates [blue button to the right of Scan].
[7] If any warning pop-ups appear [see item [7] in the Basic Overview above], click Cancel and it will skip that one. There could be several of these appear so click Cancel to all of them.
[8] It is advisable to run the DISM++ WU a couple of times. To do this, just re-boot and Scan again [from number [4] above].
[9] Run M$ WU [Windows Update] to see if there are any other updates available.

That's it!

I hope this helps!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2019   #8
KokoLoko

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi KokoLoko,

If I was you I would use DISM++ to update your current system. This way you will get a feel for using [and how to use it] DISM++ if you do decide to clean install!
Paul, very good advice, I am happy I waited for your response before proceeding with the formatting. Great advice actually. I have a fresh Windows installation to practice this tool!


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
RECOMMENDED: It is best to run the DISM++ Windows updates a couple of times to make sure you get ALL the updates that are needed. DONíT install ANY of the ORANGE updates though. It can also install the required .NET Framework updates. Then just run WU to see what other updates are available, if any.
Paul, I have everything done as you listed. After I run "Scan", a list of items are orange as you pointed out and a range of updates under "Security Updates" & "Critical Updates" were already selected.

I just want to understand this: who pre-selected these updates and what was this list based on? Is this recommended list accepted in the community as the must-have updates? I am trying to understand how this works.

For instance: in the 7Forums I came across a few posts listing KB3020369 as a must-have update. Under DISM++ it is not pre-selected. Same for KB3179573.

I am updating the pre-selected list as recommended by DISM++ to see if anything else pops. Hopefully not.

Thanks once again!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2019   #9
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi KokoLoko,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KokoLoko View Post
Paul, very good advice, I am happy I waited for your response before proceeding with the formatting. Great advice actually. I have a fresh Windows installation to practice this tool!
You are most welcome! With a fresh install to work on it is even better!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KokoLoko View Post
After I run "Scan", a list of items are orange as you pointed out and a range of updates under "Security Updates" & "Critical Updates" were already selected.

I just want to understand this: who pre-selected these updates and what was this list based on? Is this recommended list accepted in the community as the must-have updates? I am trying to understand how this works.
The pre-ticked updates are what is recommended and are similar to the WU critical and recommended updates. The un-ticked updates are similar to the WU optional updates.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KokoLoko View Post
For instance: in the 7Forums I came across a few posts listing KB3020369 as a must-have update. Under DISM++ it is not pre-selected. Same for KB3179573.
Those updates are only needed on a clean install prior to installing the un-official Win 7 SP2. So there is no need to worry about them!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KokoLoko View Post
I am updating the pre-selected list as recommended by DISM++ to see if anything else pops. Hopefully not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2019   #10
KokoLoko

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Paul Black,

All seems to be fine. Thank you very much for the feedback and guide.

Cheers!

Koko
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Fresh W7 Install: Tried using WSUS Offline for Updates but....




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
No Windows Updates, can't run SFC, and can't install updates via WSUS
Have a desktop here running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with SP1. Noticed that updates were never being installed by Windows Update, despite it being set to automatic. Tried running it manually by clicking Check For Updates, and got this: Windows could not search for new updates. Code 80004002...
Windows Updates & Activation
can you install updates while offline once you have downloaded them
Hi there :), I have very little online time and it cost me a lot. Can I install an update ( newest Windows Media Player 12 ) which I have already downloaded, it's sitting there amongst my downloads while not connected ? I've been trying this and it does not work, why ?:( It says "...
Windows Updates & Activation
7 Pro Fresh Install - Windows Update fails - WSUS hangs
I have been able to download the updates with WSUS, however, I am stuck on 'Listing IDs of missing updates'. Malwarebytes and Spybot are the only programs on here at this time that are even close to seeing something viral. Cryptoprevent was not causing a problem to my knowledge. I stopped...
Installation & Setup
Windows update + wsus offline installer problem
Did a fresh install of win7 x64 and had the problem with windows update checking for update forever so decided to install updates via wsus offline installer Wsus found and installed 210 updates and installed them then found another 28 but in the meantime window updater that i left running found...
Windows Updates & Activation
How do I download and install updates on a network without using WSUS?
Hello Everyone, We have around 100 systems in our Labs using Windows 7 x64 Downloading and Installing updates for each one of them will eat away our bandwidth.It's already slow ,here in India. I was wondering whether we can host a proxy which would download updates and save it.The computers on...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:33.
Twitter Facebook