Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Report On Multiple Windows Update Failures from Dec 2018 On

20 Feb 2019   #41
malletKATman

Windows 7 PRO SP-1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wither 2 View Post
Did you change the Windows Update from "Never.." back to the normal setting.
No, I have always configured Windows Update as "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", for the 9+ years I have used this box. Now I have the process set to "Never..." because to do otherwise interferes with the Shutdown process.

When I want to test an candidate install I go to the Microsoft Update Catalog, search for the update, and manually download the MSU file for it. Then I shutdown the Windows Update service with "services.msc", end the TrustedUpdater.exe process with the Task Manager (required to break locks on the Update log files), delete the Install logs (%WinDir%\WindowsUpdate.log and %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log, restart the Windows Update service, and click on the downloaded MSU to run the install. (I was advised in this thread that I could operate that way.) Proceeding thusly creates as lean, isolated and small a set of log files as is possible which is desirable because all these forums have a strict size limit on uploadable ZIP files, and I don't want to clutter my dropbox if I don't have to (the alternate way to "upload" a big file: place it in my dropbox, request a URL for the file from Dropbox, and post that URL in my forum thread.)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Feb 2019   #42
malletKATman

Windows 7 PRO SP-1 64-Bit
 
 

I reran the combined SURT & SFCFix mashup to see if cascading such runs would fix more problems. It's unlikely that is the case as you can see from the CheckSUR.log and the SFCFix.txt files in the ZIP file. This time SFCFix ran in only 8 minutes; it clearly found a lot fewer things to work on.

=============================
SUMMARY: Some corruptions could not be fixed automatically. Seek advice from helper or sysnative.com.
CBS & SFC total detected corruption count: 0
CBS & SFC total unimportant corruption count: 0
CBS & SFC total fixed corruption count: 0
SURT total detected corruption count: 17617
SURT total unimportant corruption count: 0
SURT total fixed corruption count: 16321
AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.
SFCFix version 42.32768.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
Currently storing 2662 datablocks.
=============================
02-20 2nd SURT & SFCFix Run Logs.zip


My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2019   #43
Snick

Win 10 x64, Linux Lite, Win 7 x64, BlackArch, & Kali
 
 

SFCFix.exe fixed 16321 orphaned components. With SFCFix.exe, you have to have a script written to specifically address some of your other issues. There are specific directives/commands you use to tell the program what to do and what to repair or replace something with. Quite often base16/hexidecimal notation is used in the scripts. SFCFix.exe run by itself is slightly better than sfc /scannow, but the real power is using it to repair or replace using SFCScript.txt.

Another program, FRST has similar features, you prepare a script from the results of a scan or scans, prepare the fix or fixes, then run it through the run fix button on the GUI.


I have a program I wrote that automates some of the search, copy, paste function, and I have a library of 400K+ cat/mum, primary, and manifest files which makes it easier for me to locate and provide those replacements then most people. Original Poster is (OP). I'll leave speculation to your helper(s) at Sysnative. They are prompt in responding to your request, surgical in their repair process and the most knowledgeable with Windows Update. That's why I am training there.


From your CBS.log it appears you have a problem with first update that won't install, it looks like it is corrupt, then systemic failure of the others as a result. Yep, they'll help with that too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Feb 2019   #44
wither 2

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by malletKATman View Post
No, I have always configured Windows Update as "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", for the 9+ years I have used this box. Now I have the process set to "Never..." because to do otherwise interferes with the Shutdown process.

When I want to test an candidate install I go to the Microsoft Update Catalog, search for the update, and manually download the MSU file for it. Then I shutdown the Windows Update service with "services.msc", end the TrustedUpdater.exe process with the Task Manager (required to break locks on the Update log files), delete the Install logs (%WinDir%\WindowsUpdate.log and %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log, restart the Windows Update service, and click on the downloaded MSU to run the install. (I was advised in this thread that I could operate that way.) Proceeding thusly creates as lean, isolated and small a set of log files as is possible which is desirable because all these forums have a strict size limit on uploadable ZIP files, and I don't want to clutter my dropbox if I don't have to (the alternate way to "upload" a big file: place it in my dropbox, request a URL for the file from Dropbox, and post that URL in my forum thread.)
I just thought I'd mention that I asked you to set it to "Never" and reboot before trying to install the download from Microsoft Update Catalog to prevent Windows Update from searching for updates during the install. Some of the downloaded updates won't install with it running because there would be more than one Windows Installer running and that's not allowed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2019   #45
malletKATman

Windows 7 PRO SP-1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wither 2 View Post
I just thought I'd mention that I asked you to set it to "Never" and reboot before trying to install the download from Microsoft Update Catalog to prevent Windows Update from searching for updates during the install. Some of the downloaded updates won't install with it running because there would be more than one Windows Installer running and that's not allowed.
I always have "Never" set when I make those Microsoft Update Catalog downloads. The only difference is that I haven't rebooted before manually installing. But I have stopped the Windows Update Service and killed the TrustedUpdater.exe process before starting each run. Once the service is restarted with the "Never.." option, Windows Update never shows any updates ready for installing for the life of the session. That's necessary now to allow a regular shutdown from the "Start" icon (prevents Windows Update from attempting to install all the available Important updates before really shutting down). Otherwise I would have to Run a "shutdown /s /t 00" command.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Feb 2019   #46
malletKATman

Windows 7 PRO SP-1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snick View Post
SFCFix.exe fixed 16321 orphaned components. With SFCFix.exe, you have to have a script written to specifically address some of your other issues. There are specific directives/commands you use to tell the program what to do and what to repair or replace something with. Quite often base16/hexidecimal notation is used in the scripts. SFCFix.exe run by itself is slightly better than sfc /scannow, but the real power is using it to repair or replace using SFCScript.txt.

Another program, FRST has similar features, you prepare a script from the results of a scan or scans, prepare the fix or fixes, then run it through the run fix button on the GUI.

I have a program I wrote that automates some of the search, copy, paste function, and I have a library of 400K+ cat/mum, primary, and manifest files which makes it easier for me to locate and provide those replacements then most people. Original Poster is (OP). I'll leave speculation to your helper(s) at Sysnative. They are prompt in responding to your request, surgical in their repair process and the most knowledgeable with Windows Update. That's why I am training there.

From your CBS.log it appears you have a problem with first update that won't install, it looks like it is corrupt, then systemic failure of the others as a result. Yep, they'll help with that too.
In the description of SFCFix as part of the posting requirements for the Sysnative Windows Update forum they make no mention of how to run SFCFix with a script. If that is necessary, I hope they include instructions.

I just got my first response from my posting on that forum: to wit.
"Hello and welcome to Sysnative!

As this is an extreme number of corruptions, I would ask you that you first download a utility like CrystalDiskInfo, so I could verify there are no issues with the drive.

Thank you."
This from "softwaremaniac", a moderator of another forum and a Windows Update instructor. I guess he doesn't think SFC, CHKDSK and SFCFix are adequate to prove that there is nothing wrong with the architectural structure of my Windows partition. Oh well, I guess I'll try to humor him.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2019   #47
Snick

Win 10 x64, Linux Lite, Win 7 x64, BlackArch, & Kali
 
 

Softwaremaniac is excellent at fixing your Windows Update issues. May be something in the log you provided that info is needed from crystaldisk. Everyone that responds at Sysnative is trained or in training, the latter with direct supervision of an instruction with expert knowledge of the subject-matter. If you have a question or concern, address it to them in your posts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Feb 2019   #48
malletKATman

Windows 7 PRO SP-1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snick View Post
Softwaremaniac is excellent at fixing your Windows Update issues. May be something in the log you provided that info is needed from crystaldisk. Everyone that responds at Sysnative is trained or in training, the latter with direct supervision of an instruction with expert knowledge of the subject-matter. If you have a question or concern, address it to them in your posts.
I appreciate the recommendation for softwaremaniac. He wanted the CrystalDiskInfo report on the health of my new C: SSD. That report is similar to that from Samsung Magician provided with the new disk that I use regularly. I provided softwaremaniac with both reports, in which it is quite clear that my disk is healthy. I also pointed out that the disk was installed just 6 weeks ago, and that any file corruption from faulty disk I/O is likely old and caused by the previous C: 80BG SSD that ran for 9 years before being replaced by, and the entire Windows partition copied to, the new drive with the Samsung Data Migration tool.

Now softwaremaniac wants to look at my Registry exported as a hive file, starting at the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing node. I'm glad he's digging into this problem and I thank you for steering me to Sysnative.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2019   #49
Snick

Win 10 x64, Linux Lite, Win 7 x64, BlackArch, & Kali
 
 

Was checking the SSD for bad sectors. Yes new SSDs do fail. Component hive corruption as I thought!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2019   #50
malletKATman

Windows 7 PRO SP-1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snick View Post
Was checking the SSD for bad sectors. Yes new SSDs do fail. Component hive corruption as I thought!
However, this problem started before I installed the new SSD so it was not the cause of any hive corruption.

Meanwhile, softwaremaniac had me install the Farber Recovery Scan Tool (FRST64.exe), load the Components registry hive (with the "Turn Windows features on and off" option in Control Panel->Programs and Features and leaving the dialog open on the screen, and make a Search Registry run in FRST64.exe searching for KB4284826;KB4338818;KB4343900. I posted the resulting SearchReg.txt run log file. He responded with a fixlist.txt file to repair the Components registry hive with a FRST64.exe Fix option run. This ran successfully. I followed with another SURT run which came up with a new set of errors, to wit:
===============================
Summary:
Seconds executed: 306
Found 14206 errors
CSI Missing Deployment Key Total count: 2053
CBS Watchlist Component Missing Total count: 12153
===============================
I posted the Fix run Fixlog.txt and the new SURT CheckSUR.log for softwaremaniac to examine.

I can upload a ZIP file to this thread with SearchReg.txt, fixlist.txt, Fixlog.txt and the new CheckSUR.log if you would like to examine the evidence all this produced.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Report On Multiple Windows Update Failures from Dec 2018 On




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Update (System updates) Multiple Failures
Hi. I am having problems with windows when it tries to update the OS but apparently not when it tries to do Apps like Office as demonstrated by this screenshot: Having looked through the error codes they are as follows: KB3147071 - 800F0826 KB3138901 - 800F0826 KB3146963 - 800F0826...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 Updates - Multiple Failures
Hi, I just did a clean install of Win 7 32 bit on a new hard drive. I have Automatic Updates active and have activated my install of Win 7. I have the following multiple update failures despite having run update manually several times and Fix It as well. Do I need to go through each of these...
Windows Updates & Activation
After upgrade to Windows 7 Pro multiple windows update failures
Earlier this week I did an upgrade on my laptop from home premium to professional and now I have 4 updates which continually fail. I've been searching around for a solution and there appear to be several other folks who have reported similar problems on this forum and received good results. I tried...
Windows Updates & Activation
Multiple Update Failures / Win7 x64 - Unable to Update, Error 800b010
My problems are essentially those expressed in many previous posts, but specifically this one here was most pertinent (aside from the specific updates of course): https://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/155225-win7-x64-unable-update-error-800b0100.html Here is a list of the updates...
Windows Updates & Activation
13 Failures to update Windows 7 x64 Pro
:( Everyday Windows tries to run 4 updates and they all fail, including this morning. So far, 13 updates have failed beginning on 4/27. They are; KB2515325, KB2522422, KB2492386 and KB982018. Anyone else having this problem? I am running Windows 7 x(64) Professional. I have no idea how to...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22.
Twitter Facebook