Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: reproduce windows update history

3 Weeks Ago   #1
svnfrms2r

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, updated monthly
 
 
reproduce windows update history

To all geniuses here:


Is there a way to reproduce the update history?
(Mine vanished when resetting the windows update with tweaking_com)

Can it be taken from a backup?


Can two of those update histories be merged (older backup and latest backup)?


Is it possible to create it from the 'installed updates' table, which is different from 'update history' (both under 'windows update')?


Many thanks in advance!
:)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
3 Weeks Ago   #2
iko22

Windows 7 x64, Vista x64, 8.1 smartphone
 
 

Hi svnfrms2r,

Yes, you can generate a new update history anytime by using the DISM command from the Command Line Prompt:

Code:
dism /online /Get-Packages /Format:Table
you can pipe the output to a text file if you wish.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
3 Weeks Ago   #3
svnfrms2r

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, updated monthly
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iko22 View Post
Hi svnfrms2r,

Yes, you can generate a new update history anytime by using the DISM command from the Command Line Prompt:

Code:
dism /online /Get-Packages /Format:Table
you can pipe the output to a text file if you wish.

Awesome!!!
Thank you.



And is there a way to make that the 'update history' that appears in the 'windows update'?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

2 Weeks Ago   #4
Snick

Win 10 x64, Linux Lite, Win 7 x64, BlackArch, & Kali
 
 

If tweaking renamed the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder you can change the name back, if not and it was deleted, you made the mistake NOT ME. THAT'S WHY I HELP PEOPLE HERE, SO THEY DON'T MAKE MISTAKES AND WIN UPDATE WORKS.
FYI: you can't just rename it as the current folder is active as long as windows update is active, ACTIVE is the operative word here. GET IT? it will be the full current updates on your computer. Answered your question didn't I. YES!

BILL
My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Week Ago   #5
Snick

Win 10 x64, Linux Lite, Win 7 x64, BlackArch, & Kali
 
 

From Admin CMD, you have to
stop wuauserv
stop bits
rename softwaredistribution folder
start wuauserv
start bits
restart computer
That is what the batch file does except reverse, it renames the original SDF and Windows generates a new incomplete one.
FYI: Most often, renaming the SFD is fruitless and you see the results empty win update history. CBS error x100 yes, that is the culprit. rare error.

Code:
 @echo off
Title Re-Name Software Distribution Folder
echo.
Echo Renaming Software Distribution Folder
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
net start wuauserv
net start bits
echo.
echo Make sure you have any open programs saved!
echo.
echo Pending shutdown popup will not appear.
echo.
echo Old SoftwareDistribution folder is at: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribtion.old
echo.
echo Restart will begin immediately after you press any key!
echo.
pause
rem shutdown /f /r /t 0
exit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
4 Days Ago   #6
svnfrms2r

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, updated monthly
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snick View Post
If tweaking renamed the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder you can change the name back, if not and it was deleted, you made the mistake NOT ME. THAT'S WHY I HELP PEOPLE HERE, SO THEY DON'T MAKE MISTAKES AND WIN UPDATE WORKS.
FYI: you can't just rename it as the current folder is active as long as windows update is active, ACTIVE is the operative word here. GET IT? it will be the full current updates on your computer. Answered your question didn't I. YES!

BILL

Thank you!


Am looking for a way to recreate the "Update History", since I have an old and a new one from the two system states I merged.
But if it is impossible, I guess it really is not a big problem, since the "Installed Updates" still works fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
4 Days Ago   #7
svnfrms2r

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, updated monthly
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snick View Post
From Admin CMD, you have to
stop wuauserv
stop bits
rename softwaredistribution folder
start wuauserv
start bits
restart computer
That is what the batch file does except reverse, it renames the original SDF and Windows generates a new incomplete one.
FYI: Most often, renaming the SFD is fruitless and you see the results empty win update history. CBS error x100 yes, that is the culprit. rare error.

Code:
 @echo off
Title Re-Name Software Distribution Folder
echo.
Echo Renaming Software Distribution Folder
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
net start wuauserv
net start bits
echo.
echo Make sure you have any open programs saved!
echo.
echo Pending shutdown popup will not appear.
echo.
echo Old SoftwareDistribution folder is at: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribtion.old
echo.
echo Restart will begin immediately after you press any key!
echo.
pause
rem shutdown /f /r /t 0
exit

Thank you, will use it when needed.
Would have used USB Linux if need be or tried to use unlocker
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
4 Days Ago   #8
svnfrms2r

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, updated monthly
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snick View Post
CBS error x100 yes, that is the culprit. rare error.
Overlooked this above, what is
"CBS error x100"
?


Thank you!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 reproduce windows update history




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cannot open Windows Update to check DL history
Greets from a non-techie in Japan . I wanted to check my update download history , but when I click on Windows Update and just get a white screen with the spinning green wheel . After a few minutes I am able to escape the temp freeze . I have a Dell with Windows 7 64 bit / Intel core i3 processor ....
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update - View Update History Details
How to View Windows Update History Details in Windows 7 and Windows 8 This tutorial will show you how to view the Windows Update history details of all successful or failed update installations with the update's importance type and date installed in Windows 7 and Windows 8. The Windows...
Tutorials
Windows Update History is empty
I uninstalled KB3065987. Uninstalling this update allowed the Windows Update icon to return in the system tray. Unfortunately my Windows Update History is now empty. I can see all the updates on the Installed Updates screen. 2 questions: 1) Is there a way to get back my Windows Update...
Windows Updates & Activation
there's a lot of failed update on windows update history?
i just reinstall my windows 7 home premium last night, and after i click the update button i left it alone and couple of hours later i saw a lot of failed update on windows update history? these unfinished update will it became a trash on my computer or just simply gone? how to delete these...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update History Empty After WindowsImageBackup Restored
Has anyone else noticed that the Windows update history is a blank page and says the user has not installed any updates once a WindowsImageBackup is restored? I have switched to Macrium Reflect and tested it. It does not delete the update history. I like knowing what I have installed in case...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:42.
Twitter Facebook