Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: W7 is dead but updates keep coming

3 Weeks Ago   #1
Orcadian

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
 
 
W7 is dead but updates keep coming

Anyone else still receiving an almost-daily update for Windows Defender? They always have the same number: KB 915597. Still getting some for NET framework and malicious software removal tool, too. I had turned updates off as I thought all updates would stop on 14 Jan.

Windows 7 is increasingly slow to come up - and sometimes even to open programs. I confess to being slightly paranoid that Microsoft might introduce updates that make Windows 7 slow and fussy, in order to encourage us to move to W10. Stupid notion, right?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
3 Weeks Ago   #2
Bree

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orcadian View Post
Anyone else still receiving an almost-daily update for Windows Defender?
While W7 has reached end of support, Microsoft have stated that for all systems running MSE it will continue to be supported until 2023.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Microsoft
Microsoft will continue to release signature updates (including engine) to service systems currently running Microsoft Security Essentials untill 2023.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ity-essentials


It would appear Defender updates are also to continue. The date 2023 is when the (paid for) Extended Security Updates will end, so it makes sense to keep the AV updates going until then.


How to get Extended Security Updates for eligible Windows 7 devices
My System SpecsSystem Spec
3 Weeks Ago   #3
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 1909 - 18363.657 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
 
 

The virus/malware definitions will continue for some time, but there will be no updates to the Windows Defender itself I assume that .Net Framework is used by defender, and the MSRT is still active so is updated, the same as would apply to an office installation (office 2010 reaches end of life towards the end of the year). My Pro Malware suite gets at least twelve times a day so a daily update is not a lot

Nothing should have changed at Win7 EOL, you need to look at any other changes that could cause slowdown

Microsoft have no interest in selling you windows 10. The free upgrade that ended in 2015 is still working which shows this.

They actually increase their potential workload if they forced you to upgrade, at the moment your system with windows 7 has no maintenance and support costs. (they have to make the updates that you are getting for the businesses that are paying for extended support).

If you update to Windows 10 then Microsoft has an obligation to support you for 18 Months for each version issued (The annual win ten updates are only supported for 18 months not the five years full + five years extended that used to apply)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

3 Weeks Ago   #4
erpster4

Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64bit [x64]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post

If you update to Windows 10 then Microsoft has an obligation to support you for 18 Months for each version issued (The annual win ten updates are only supported for 18 months not the five years full + five years extended that used to apply)

that part of Win10 support only applies usually to the Home & Pro editions of Win10, Barman58
where MS supports each Win10 release for about 18 months.


The Enterprise & Education editions of Win10, on the other hand, are supported for 30 months - assuming they are the September or fall/autumn releases. the spring or March releases of Win10 Enterprise & Education seem to be supported for 18 months



all written on this Windows lifecycle fact sheet:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet
My System SpecsSystem Spec
3 Weeks Ago   #5
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 1909 - 18363.657 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
 
 

I think the only thing we can state at present is that they are in flux

The last I heard was that the the main changes issued would be in the spring and the September update would be limited minor new items and fixes to the previous spring update - basically the way that 1903 and 1909 were We may know more by the end of 2020 if Microsoft have changed their distribution policy yet again or that the 1903/1909 issue makeups are the standard going forward

Enterprise and education are variations on pro which should not be generally available to the "public", (just to VL licensees), plus they get the LTSC versions which are completely separate

IMHO None of the Win10 versions will ever again be supported by the old five year support plus five years, (or More), except of course if a particular VL customer negotiates a specific paid contract with Microsoft
My System SpecsSystem Spec
3 Weeks Ago   #6
Orcadian

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bree View Post
While W7 has reached end of support, Microsoft have stated that for all systems running MSE it will continue to be supported until 2023. ...... It would appear Defender updates are also to continue. The date 2023 is when the (paid for) Extended Security Updates will end, so it makes sense to keep the AV updates going until then.
Thanks, Bree. I don't think I am running MSE. Certainly I've never bought it and nothing shows up in Installed Programs.

I've attached screenshots of the 'final' two updates, 15 Jan, and of the updates I have had since then (but have switched off). In the light of Barman58's remarks, I might well turn them on again.
.


Attached Thumbnails
W7 is dead but updates keep coming-updates-15.1.20.jpg   W7 is dead but updates keep coming-updates-since-15.1.20.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
3 Weeks Ago   #7
Bree

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orcadian View Post
Thanks, Bree. I don't think I am running MSE. Certainly I've never bought it and nothing shows up in Installed Programs.

The 'Defender' in W7 is little more than protection against unwanted programs (PUPs). It is not a proper full blown AV. It still uses definition updates though.


Microsoft Security Essentials is a free AV from Microsoft for Windows versions up to and including W7. It uses the same scan engine and definitions as currently used in W8/W10 Defender. MS have said they will remove it from their download servers now that W7 is at EoL, but for now it is still available.


https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=5201
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
3 Weeks Ago   #8
Orcadian

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bree View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials is a free AV from Microsoft for Windows versions up to and including W7. It uses the same scan engine and definitions as currently used in W8/W10 Defender. MS have said they will remove it from their download servers now that W7 is at EoL, but for now it is still available. https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=5201
Thanks again! Problem is that to install MSE, I am advised to remove my antivirus. I don't really want to do that. However, I reckon I should download the installer now, in case it disappears. Any idea which of the two files one wants - both, perhaps? (One is 14.4Mb, the other 11.7Mb.) There's not much guidance on that page. Edit: Belay that; Wiki says 64-bit systems need the 14.4Mb file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
3 Weeks Ago   #9
Bree

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orcadian View Post
Thanks again! Problem is that to install MSE, I am advised to remove my antivirus. I don't really want to do that. However, I reckon I should download the installer now, in case it disappears. Any idea which of the two files one wants - both, perhaps? (One is 14.4Mb, the other 11.7Mb.) There's not much guidance on that page. Edit: Belay that; Wiki says 64-bit systems need the 14.4Mb file.

Yes, one is for 32-bit Windows, the other for 64-bit. If your current AV is going to continue providing updates for W7 then you could stick with that. If they ever stop, well with the installer now downloaded you could switch to using MSE. That's supported until 2023.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
3 Weeks Ago   #10
Orcadian

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bree View Post
... If your current AV is going to continue providing updates for W7 then you could stick with that. If they ever stop, well with the installer now downloaded you could switch to using MSE. That's supported until 2023.
Gotcha.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 W7 is dead but updates keep coming




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
USB ports still dead after doing linked tutorial & driver updates
Hello there, SevenForums community. I'm looking for some assistance in fixing my laptop's USB ports, none of which are functioning anymore (I have three USB ports total: one is USB 2.0 and two are USB 3.0). I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 on a Dell Inspiron N5110 model laptop...
Drivers
sony vaio vgc-rb40 mouse and keyboard dead after updates last week
I am working on a sony vaio vgc-rb40 in which the mouse and keyboard don't work. I have tried the ps2 ports and the usb in both legacy and 2.0 the computer sees the new device and installs it in usb but it still does not work. no keyboard or mouse in safe mode but it does work in the bios and...
Hardware & Devices
Start up Repair keeps coming up after windows updates
hi guys, i just formatted my computer and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7. After i installed the windows updates, it reboots and keeps coming up with startup repair. I have reinstall Windows 7 from scratch many times now but as soon as i run the windows update, same problem.... i have...
Windows Updates & Activation
Left 4 Dead 2 - Coming Soon
Steam News hellz yeah!
Gaming
Test Updates Coming for the Windows 7 RC
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52.
Twitter Facebook