Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: "...not genuine" but it is and registered

28 Nov 2009   #1
GEWB

Linux (Mint is primary) / XP, Win7 Home / Win7 Pro, Ultimate / Win8.1 / Win10 archived VM
 
 
"...not genuine" but it is and registered

Win7 Pro, RETAIL package, 64bit install, on line registered.

Lately I'm getting a message above the task bar (far right):

Windows 7
Build 7600
This copy of Windows is not genuine


Doesn't show all the time, just pops up every now and then.

This is a legal and registered Pro package (retail purchase).

Go to Control Panel > Systems says "Windows is activated" and then the "...not genuine" mewssage disappears!

Ideas?

Regards,
GEWB




Attached Images
"...not genuine" but it is and registered-notgenuine.gif 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Nov 2009   #2
dave1812

Win7
 
 

Have you made ANY hardware changes since installation?

If you can't figure it out, call MS's tech line.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #3
GEWB

Linux (Mint is primary) / XP, Win7 Home / Win7 Pro, Ultimate / Win8.1 / Win10 archived VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Have you made ANY hardware changes since installation?

If you can't figure it out, call MS's tech line.
I have added a network printer and external storage devices. Oh, and a new keyboard.

(I add/change hardware almost as often as I change my underware.)

Regards,
GEWB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Nov 2009   #4
dave1812

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GEWB View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Have you made ANY hardware changes since installation?

If you can't figure it out, call MS's tech line.
I have added a network printer and external storage devices. Oh, and a new keyboard.

(I add/change hardware almost as often as I change my underware.)

Regards,
GEWB

ah, those wouldn't trigger the issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #5
GEWB

Linux (Mint is primary) / XP, Win7 Home / Win7 Pro, Ultimate / Win8.1 / Win10 archived VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GEWB View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
Have you made ANY hardware changes since installation?

If you can't figure it out, call MS's tech line.
I have added a network printer and external storage devices. Oh, and a new keyboard.

(I add/change hardware almost as often as I change my underware.)

Regards,
GEWB

ah, those wouldn't trigger the issue.
I didn't think so either. I find it odd that "System" shows as registered and the message goes away as soon as I open the System window.

I just hope my computer continues to work properly.

Regards,
GEWB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #6
fseal

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

If this is a newish install, maybe you have never "validated" it as "Genuine"? It does not happen automatically and has nothing to do with activation.

Have you ever run Windows Media Player? THat's generally the first place it asks you to validate. But some downloads from MS do too, but if you don't do either of those you could remain "unvalidated" forever.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #7
RogerR

7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Start > Computer > properties and scroll down.

What does it report under Windows activation?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #8
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GEWB View Post
Win7 Pro, RETAIL package, 64bit install, on line registered.

Lately I'm getting a message above the task bar (far right):

Windows 7
Build 7600
This copy of Windows is not genuine


Doesn't show all the time, just pops up every now and then.

This is a legal and registered Pro package (retail purchase).

Go to Control Panel > Systems says "Windows is activated" and then the "...not genuine" mewssage disappears!

Ideas?

Regards,
GEWB
Hi gewb

It could be as simple as the MS servers being swamped. It can also be caused if the clock is way off.

Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #9
GEWB

Linux (Mint is primary) / XP, Win7 Home / Win7 Pro, Ultimate / Win8.1 / Win10 archived VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fseal View Post
If this is a newish install, maybe you have never "validated" it as "Genuine"? It does not happen automatically and has nothing to do with activation.

Have you ever run Windows Media Player? THat's generally the first place it asks you to validate. But some downloads from MS do too, but if you don't do either of those you could remain "unvalidated" forever.
Validated as "genuine" during registration (registration ran the "genuine" tool).

Never launched Media Player - should I run it on something?

Regards,
GEWB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #10
GEWB

Linux (Mint is primary) / XP, Win7 Home / Win7 Pro, Ultimate / Win8.1 / Win10 archived VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Start > Computer > properties and scroll down.

What does it report under Windows activation?
There is no "properties" - Start > Computer just shows my drives.

Start Control Panel > System "Windows activation" shows as activated.

Regards,
GEWB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 "...not genuine" but it is and registered




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I stop W7 "calling home" and displaying "not genuine" messages?
MS thinks that one of my PCs is running W7 that's not genuine. It is genuine - at least I bought it from Amazon and paid 141 for it so that - to me - means it's genuine. It may not be but neither Amazon nor MS will take any responsibility for it not being genuine so I've given up with them both. I...
Windows Updates & Activation
Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"
My office just upgraded, and I can no longer use Windows XP. On this system, I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network, and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists. Each task on each taskbar...
General Discussion
all video files give error "class not registered" when trying to play
The title explains it all just restored my computer and now any kind of videos files i try to play give me the error "Class not registered" what do i do? btw, yes i did update all my video drivers.
Music, Pictures & Video
Help for Windows Media Player, "Class Not Registered"
-----RESOLVED----- Thanks To SledgeDG----- I've never seen a problem like this before, when i try to play a file for Windows Media Player, it says "Class not registered" >> Screenshot from Lightshot <<, Any resolves? Thank you. Sreenshots: Screenshot from Lightshot
Media Center
"class not registered"
When i try to open any downloaded stuff directly from bittorent or IDM or any other download manager, im getting an error as "Class not registered" what should i do to fix this error..?? http://i.imgur.com/mZwQ1.jpg
General Discussion
Q: Ok to change "Registered owner"?
Will I run into any problem if I change the Registered Owner (and Registered Company) for my system? (to fix a typo!) The method is described here: Registered Owner and Organization - Vista Forums I did see that some Registry installer sections for non-MS products have picked up the...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App