Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wat update - yes/no?

10 Mar 2010   #91
cloud8521

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
...
PS - Kari how did you get away with those brutal comments? Are you married to Shawn? LOL!
Brutal? I tried to stay as civilized and polite I could, considering how passionate I hate everything related to piracy.

Anyway, I can see no valid reason to fight WAT; as long as it stays voluntary to install it, every user can and should do as they want to, install or not. When it's forced by Microsoft, the users who do not want it should IMO change to another OS. Free world, free choice.

Very subjective opinion, but I also think the main reason this debate is so heated, not only here but all around the InterWebs, is the fear. It looks like for once the crackers are late, they do not know how and when they are able to crack this.

Some hypothetical questions, from the bottom of my heart, to all those using illegal versions of Windows. Not waiting any answers, really. I've been waiting a thread where this question would not be too much OT:

How come a pirate's mostly custom built state of the art rig can cost a lot, with all the latest GPU's and SSD's and cooling systems and whatever, but the pirate thinks it would be too much to pay hundred bucks or so to get the state of the art OS to go with his pride and joy, The Rig?

I mean, I know my share of pirates and crackers, some of my friends for instance refuse to pay for OS and apps. I'm ashamed to say some of my family members are also software pirates. Some of them pay a lot for an extra fast broadband connection, only to be used for torrent up and downloads. These geeks I know have, without an exception, rigs that cost easily more than my HTPC and laptop together.

So where's the logic? Order /$/ 1000+ worth of components, assemble the rig and proudly put 'Self Built' on system specs and then decide 'No, I don't want to pay for Windows!'. Is it because hardware and components are not so easy to steal? Steal only what's easy to get without getting caught?

Like I said, this is more hypothetical reflections of what's going on in my mostly empty head. No need to answer.

Kari, still suffering from insomnia, quite drunk.

EDIT: @Lord of the Bobs, thanks.
agree with you 100%, but it gets worse, especially with games and it grinds my beans, i keep myself from saying anything because on multiple accounts (different forums) i have been given demerits for being "mean" to the pirates who if they could would steal(probably have) their products too (steam)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Mar 2010   #92
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Installed it on 3 PC's. Glitched on 1. Now running perfectly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #93
cloud8521

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Installed it on 3 PC's. Glitched on 1. Now running perfectly.
what happened?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Mar 2010   #94
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Brutal? I tried to stay as civilized and polite I could, considering how passionate I hate everything related to piracy.
-----------------
EDIT: @Lord of the Bobs, thanks.
Kari, I agree with all your statements (though I can't say I hate pirates like you do).

In this case, it was not the pirating that bothered me (or made me laugh), it was the guys ignorance and/or arrogance.
I have no idea how he can be THAT ignorant.

I did find it amusing how he managed to ignore ALL the evidence presented to him; that takes work.

In my opinion, they were here for nothing more than a good Troll.
And they did very well too, had us all worked up.

~Lordbob
Very important correction: I do not hate anybody, expect my second wife! I hope I'm right saying I have never said I hate pirates. If I've said so, it's wrong and not true; sometimes I say things I do not mean (I blame the distillers of Talisker and Laphroiag!)

I would like to use this opportunity to make a statement:

[STATEMENT]
I do not hate you, pirate! I hate piracy and things related to it. You are not a thing, you are a human with other ideals as I do.

By clicking the Submit Reply button I hearby declare the above mentioned is my true meaning, as I know it. Nothing less, nothing more.
[/STATEMENT]

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #95
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cloud8521 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Installed it on 3 PC's. Glitched on 1. Now running perfectly.
what happened?
Retail copy complained it wasn't geniune for 3 seconds until I clicked Get Genuine, even though I probably wasn't connected to the internet. The other 2 OEM copies are fine. Now its all smooth.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #96
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Very important correction: I do not hate anybody, expect my second wife! I hope I'm right saying I have never said I hate pirates. If I've said so, it's wrong and not true; sometimes I say things I do not mean (I blame the distillers of Talisker and Laphroiag!)
My mistake.

That is what I meant.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #97
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post

Anyway, I can see no valid reason to fight WAT; as long as it stays voluntary to install it, every user can and should do as they want to, install or not. When it's forced by Microsoft, the users who do not want it should IMO change to another OS. Free world, free choice.

Very subjective opinion, but I also think the main reason this debate is so heated, not only here but all around the InterWebs, is the fear. It looks like for once the crackers are late, they do not know how and when they are able to crack this.
Some of the members here who do not like the WAT are most definitely not pirates. They simply do not want their computers phoning home. They have nothing to hide; they simply resent an outsider controlling their computer. I fall in to this category.

I have nothing on automatic update. I manually update my anti-virus/anti-malware programs, my firewall as well as my O/S. I pick and choose which Windows updates I download and install.

That said, I installed WAT and let it do its thing. Now I am experimenting with it.

When MS came out with WGA for XP, I had some problems with it. I had to re-validate by phone three different times and my copy of XP Pro was legitimate. I also had a couple of problems with XP updates hosing my system - and it was the updates. Also when WGA was first introduced, MS was collecting a lot more information than they said they were. Therefore, I learned to be very cautious with updates and phoning home.

Unlike Darryl, I do not trust Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, General Motors, Toyota, etc; but not because they are inherently evil. It is because they are made up of people and people are fallible and the corporate agenda may not match my agenda. I do not distrust them either. I simply want to make up my own mind about how I operate my computer and to control what comes in and goes out of it.

The only entity I really and completely distrust is government - but that's another subject!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #98
win7clutz

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
 
 

Kari-

There could be a good argument made that you can build a decent "work at home box" using Neweeg parts for 'bout $300.00. (Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz, 2 Gig Ram, 250Gig Hardrive, DVD burner, etc.). Then add a $100.00+ for the OS and it seems to me that 25% of the total system cost being the OS seems pretty steep.

Maybe a little more reasonable pricing from MS would go a long way in preventing piracy. Although if the OS was $10.00, there would still be folks trying to steal it just because they can. I'm not trying to justify piracy because of retail pricing, nor do I believe that MS should be a non-profit organization. Just thinking that a little more fairness in pricing would go a long way in controlling the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #99
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Carl, when saying I can see no valid reason to fight WAT, I do not mean those who fight back are all automatically pirates. I just mean that when it comes to either install it or crack it, calling home four times a year is IMO not reason enough to use a crack to disable it.

That day is, luckily it seems, not yet here. I believe we are going to see this update forced to our computers by Microsoft and when -if- this day comes, the fear for these calls home is not a valid reason to use cracks.

I can understand your point. I've read a lot of your posts, enough to have an opinion of you as an honest man and I think one reason you have already installed it although you recent the principle is that you, too, think this update is going to be forced to us sooner or later, so you decided to deal with it. Get it done, rather than even consider the other means to avoid it.



Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #100
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Carl, when saying I can see no valid reason to fight WAT, I do not mean those who fight back are all automatically pirates. I just mean that when it comes to either install it or crack it, calling home four times a year is IMO not reason enough to use a crack to disable it.
Kari, I agree completely. Unlike WGA which tried to phone home every time I booted up, WAT is quarterly. I blocked WGA with my firewall and let it phone home only a couple of times a year.

MS appears to be very forthright about WAT - unlike thier approach to WGA. That is why I specualte that this volutary thing is test of consumer reaction.

Quote:
That day is, luckily it seems, not yet here. I believe we are going to see this update forced to our computers by Microsoft and when -if- this day comes, the fear for these calls home is not a valid reason to use cracks.
I feel sure that day will come with SP1. I know that I can block the current version now in several ways if I choose to do so. My firewall is definitely set ask me to let WAT access the internet. Thus it will be my choice.

Quote:
I can understand your point. I've read a lot of your posts, enough to have an opinion of you as an honest man and I think one reason you have already installed it although you recent the principle is that you, too, think this update is going to be forced to us sooner or later, so you decided to deal with it. Get it done, rather than even consider the other means to avoid it.
Thank you and you are right on target. I decided to get with the program now rather than fight it. I figured it would be a lot easier and quicker to validate now if something went wrong while only a small number of folks are affected rather than wait until WAT is worldwide. Fortunately I had no problem whatsoever.



Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wat update - yes/no?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Win7 home update fails, error 8007370B - cannot update, install SP1.
Running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Cannot update, attempting to upgrade to Win 7 professional. Discovered automatic updates were fried for some time and the system did not have SP1, which is apparently required for the upgrade. I see similar threads, each seems to require advanced...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update fails in Update Check. Error code C80003FA.
Hello, I recieve error C80003FA whenever I do a Windows Update run. It doesn't get past the stage of checking for updates. I've tried several fixes including: - Waiting 15 minutes and running Windows Update again. - Letting Windows Update run on its own schedule. - SFC /Scannow -...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 - Update KB976932 and KB982526 update failure- error 800b100
Hey, I'm trying to install update KB976932 (Windows Service pack 1 for 64bit) and KB982526 (Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1) but I keep getting error 800b100 which stops me from doing so. I've tried deactivating my firewall; manually installing from the microsoft website; and using the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Update Error Code 80073712-Cumulative Security Update IE11, Win 7(64)
I'm having no luck installing KB2977629 (Cumulative Security Update IE11). I repeatedly get the error 8007371B. SURT installs with no errors. SFC /SCANNOW runs with no errors. I am uploading the requested screenshots and ZIP file. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!!! ...
Windows Updates & Activation
Unable to install Windows Update: Update Kernel-mode driver framework
I am unable to update the Kernel-mode driver framework ver 1.11 for windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2685811). I get error: 80073712 Also, I am getting BSOD/stop errors in normal mode that say anything from: -memory_management 0x0000000001a, - "A device driver attempting to corrupt the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Multiple Update Failures / Win7 x64 - Unable to Update, Error 800b010
My problems are essentially those expressed in many previous posts, but specifically this one here was most pertinent (aside from the specific updates of course): https://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/155225-win7-x64-unable-update-error-800b0100.html Here is a list of the updates...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:38.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App