Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wat update - yes/no?

07 Mar 2010   #41
Staple Head

Windows 7
 
 

this is now a mute point the update has already been cracked the day it came out.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Mar 2010   #42
KCINREBAK

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

yeah your right, theres a crack already in progress for it, and when they release an update for that crack, another crack will be released, its a never ending cycle that microsoft cannot win, pirating is imposible to stop considering the ratio of people downloading it to the ratio of people trying to stop it. still, microsoft is sneaky and knew this update was coming long before seven was released. This is just another move to make windows more secure which is good in a way, but losing the trust of customers is retarded
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #43
Staple Head

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KCINREBAK View Post
yeah your right, theres a crack already in progress for it, and when they release an update for that crack, another crack will be released, its a never ending cycle that microsoft cannot win, pirating is imposible to stop considering the ratio of people downloading it to the ratio of people trying to stop it. still, microsoft is sneaky and knew this update was coming long before seven was released. This is just another move to make windows more secure which is good in a way, but losing the trust of customers is retarded
actually microsour has already won. who do you really think released most of the copies to the torrent / p2p sites, microsour themselves. people that work for microsoft created most of the cracks. it is nothing more than free advertising for them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Mar 2010   #44
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

the whole thing is stupid to me, pardon my interruption.

if you don't want to install it the update, don't.

it's ironic, though, that you don't want your os "phoning home," but to ensure that your os is running safely, you'll let your antivirus / antispyware do what it needs to do automatically...

if you're technically savvy enough to not install it then you're equally as technically savvy enough to handle any problems that may arise down the line.

(and speaking of control, the only thing any of us truly has control over is what we create. you want an os you want to control? make your own. linux is free, but it still needs patching too... )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #45
Staple Head

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
the whole thing is stupid to me, pardon my interruption.

if you don't want to install it the update, don't.

it's ironic, though, that you don't want your os "phoning home," but to ensure that your os is running safely, you'll let your antivirus / antispyware do what it needs to do automatically...

if you're technically savvy enough to not install it then you're equally as technically savvy enough to handle any problems that may arise down the line.

(and speaking of control, the only thing any of us truly has control over is what we create. you want an os you want to control? make your own. linux is free, but it still needs patching too... )
actually every three days i manually check for any and all updates to my software, including antivirus / spyware / firewall, and on the second wednesday of every month i manually chec k windows update and manually pick and chose which updates to manually install. i have never and never will allow anything to phone home automatically. as previously stated myself just like most users believe once we pay for our copy of the os it is our copy, microsoft can believe that they are just allowing us to use it if they want. as for the wat is was cracked the day after it came out. so now it is a mute point. microsoft will update it, it will get cracked again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #46
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Staple Head View Post
as for the wat is was cracked the day after it came out. so now it is a mute point. microsoft will update it, it will get cracked again.
i read about that, but from what i read, both ms and the cracker community will be hard at work from now on. the wat is supposed to check every 90 days if the particular files have been tampered with.

Quote:
The installer also creates a new Windows Activation Technologies folder in Task Scheduler and adds two new entries to it. The first task is configured to run at the next restart and then to reset the task trigger so that it runs again 90 days later. The second task is configured to run a week after the first one. When the first task ran successfully on my test systems, the Next Run Time was set to a date 90 days in the future for the first task, and one week after that new date for the second task. (According to Microsoft, the purpose of the second task is to allow the update to run weekly after it detects and repairs a system whose activation files have been tampered with.)
Quote:
According to the initial settings of the main Scheduled Task created during installation of KB971033, it is set to run at the next startup. After it runs successfully, it sets its Next Run Time to 90 days later.
Windows Activation Technologies: an unauthorized inside look | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #47
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KCINREBAK View Post
Just got hit with the Wat update. Im using a copy of seven ultimate with a OEM key in which I prefer not to say where I got it but if I install the wat update will it patch my seven to where i only have a 30 day evalution? or if I choose not to install it will I be able to continue updates?
if you choose not to install it, you'll still be able to receive [other] updates microsoft update.

read in full: Windows Activation Technologies: an unauthorized inside look | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #48
Staple Head

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Staple Head View Post
as for the wat is was cracked the day after it came out. so now it is a mute point. microsoft will update it, it will get cracked again.
i read about that, but from what i read, both ms and the cracker community will be hard at work from now on. the wat is supposed to check every 90 days if the particular files have been tampered with.

Quote:
The installer also creates a new Windows Activation Technologies folder in Task Scheduler and adds two new entries to it. The first task is configured to run at the next restart and then to reset the task trigger so that it runs again 90 days later. The second task is configured to run a week after the first one. When the first task ran successfully on my test systems, the Next Run Time was set to a date 90 days in the future for the first task, and one week after that new date for the second task. (According to Microsoft, the purpose of the second task is to allow the update to run weekly after it detects and repairs a system whose activation files have been tampered with.)
Quote:
According to the initial settings of the main Scheduled Task created during installation of KB971033, it is set to run at the next startup. After it runs successfully, it sets its Next Run Time to 90 days later.
Windows Activation Technologies: an unauthorized inside look | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com
the current wat crack removes all the wat files allows you to install kb971033 and pass the 90 day check.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #49
sanford

windows 7
 
 

I guess I am stupid, but I still fail to see why anyone would actually want to install this?

What am I missing?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #50
RST101

Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
 
 

Nothing, just another episode of ms can do what it likes because we the people let them.

It won't get any where near my computer. I have activated once and now they want to snoop, ha your having a laugh.

They will probably want to charge you again in 12 months another £100.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wat update - yes/no?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Win7 home update fails, error 8007370B - cannot update, install SP1.
Running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Cannot update, attempting to upgrade to Win 7 professional. Discovered automatic updates were fried for some time and the system did not have SP1, which is apparently required for the upgrade. I see similar threads, each seems to require advanced...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update fails in Update Check. Error code C80003FA.
Hello, I recieve error C80003FA whenever I do a Windows Update run. It doesn't get past the stage of checking for updates. I've tried several fixes including: - Waiting 15 minutes and running Windows Update again. - Letting Windows Update run on its own schedule. - SFC /Scannow -...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 - Update KB976932 and KB982526 update failure- error 800b100
Hey, I'm trying to install update KB976932 (Windows Service pack 1 for 64bit) and KB982526 (Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1) but I keep getting error 800b100 which stops me from doing so. I've tried deactivating my firewall; manually installing from the microsoft website; and using the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Update Error Code 80073712-Cumulative Security Update IE11, Win 7(64)
I'm having no luck installing KB2977629 (Cumulative Security Update IE11). I repeatedly get the error 8007371B. SURT installs with no errors. SFC /SCANNOW runs with no errors. I am uploading the requested screenshots and ZIP file. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!!! ...
Windows Updates & Activation
Unable to install Windows Update: Update Kernel-mode driver framework
I am unable to update the Kernel-mode driver framework ver 1.11 for windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2685811). I get error: 80073712 Also, I am getting BSOD/stop errors in normal mode that say anything from: -memory_management 0x0000000001a, - "A device driver attempting to corrupt the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Multiple Update Failures / Win7 x64 - Unable to Update, Error 800b010
My problems are essentially those expressed in many previous posts, but specifically this one here was most pertinent (aside from the specific updates of course): https://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/155225-win7-x64-unable-update-error-800b0100.html Here is a list of the updates...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:16.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App