Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Change windows username (ComputerName/Username

15 Feb 2011   #1
jettj12

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Change windows username (ComputerName/Username

I set up my computer a long time ago with a stupid username, and I wanna know how to change it. I can change my logon username, but not the actual username (COMPUTERNAME/Username) or the user directory (C:/Users/USERNAME).


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Feb 2011   #2
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jettj12 View Post
I set up my computer a long time ago with a stupid username, and I wanna know how to change it. I can change my logon username, but not the actual username (COMPUTERNAME/Username) or the user directory (C:/Users/USERNAME).
Welcome to the forum,

I think this tutorial will help with that,

Computer Name - View and Change
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2011   #3
jettj12

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post

Welcome to the forum,

I think this tutorial will help with that,

Computer Name - View and Change
Thank you for responding, but that's the computer name. I want to change the actual username, like when you connect to the pc using rdp and you enter the computer name, a slash, then your username. I want to change the username. Let me underline what i want to change

\\Steven-PC\(insert embarassing username here)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Feb 2011   #4
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

OK, Have a look at this thread, I believe you'll need to create a new user account if I understand what you're trying to do, post # 4 specifically.

How to change MAIN user name in 7 Home Premium
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2011   #5
jettj12

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
OK, Have a look at this thread, I believe you'll need to create a new user account if I understand what you're trying to do, post # 4 specifically.

How to change MAIN user name in 7 Home Premium
Much obliged man. It worked.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2011   #6
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jettj12 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
OK, Have a look at this thread, I believe you'll need to create a new user account if I understand what you're trying to do, post # 4 specifically.

How to change MAIN user name in 7 Home Premium
Much obliged man. It worked.
You're welcome, glad to hear it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Change windows username (ComputerName/Username




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is there a way to change Windows 7 username?
I pretty much forgot the "D" after the "E" in powered Can i rectify that or if not Np
Chillout Room
Cant change Username.
good pm! Happy New Year :D i cant configure why i cant change my user name? im on the state of Administrator. But everytime i input a new name. I tried 50 names lol, but still "pcuser" is my default name. Anyone help?? :\
Customization
Who can change my Username?
Could someone please change my username to gln2d3? It's my official username in other forums. I wasn't sure where to put this, so please tell me where to put it in future. Thanks!
Chillout Room
is there anyway to change my username?
hello guys is there anyway to change my windows task manager user name? i try changing my user account name it didn't change it even i try to restart my PC and logging off and on it didn't change. when i change my user account name it only change the user name on the screen when u want to log in...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App