How to Rename a Power Plan Name in Windows 7 and Windows 8
EXAMPLE: Power Plan Renamed
This tutorial will show you how to rename power plans (schemes) to have any name you would like in Windows 7 and Windows 8.
You will need to be logged in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.
1. Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 7 or Windows 8.
2. To List and See All Power Plans
NOTE: This will give you a list of all of the power plans on your computer with the name and GUID number of each power plan.
A) In the elevated command prompt, type in powercfg list and press enter. (see screenshot below)3. In the elevated command prompt, type in the command below (in code box) for the power plan that you want to rename, and press Enter.
- Substitute GUID in the command below for the actual long GUID number of the power plan that you want to rename as displayed in step 2 above.
- Substitute New Name in the command below for the new name that you want to rename the power plan within quotes.
powercfg -changename GUID "New Name"
FOR EXAMPLE: If I want to rename the power plan Custom Plan to New Custom Plan (see example screenshots at top of tutorial), then I would type in the command exactly as below and press enter.4. Close the elevated command prompt.
powercfg -changename 11eb7d0f-207d-455e-b86b-f0de0122ba90 "New Custom Plan"
5. The power plan has now been renamed.