Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Don't you REALLY HATE these type of advertisments

24 Mar 2009   #11
garysgold

Vista Ult 64 bit Seven Ult RTM x64
 
 

Well, as I said, I don't mind ads, and if something looks interesting, I will click on it. Sites that use a lot of flash and pop-ups to get my attention, I don't go back to. This includes my own ISP. Haven't been back to that site since the day after I signed up for the service. I also don't watch TV because the programs aren't good enough to make me want to listen to 1/3 advertising and 2/3 show.

I agree, Mark. Here, Vistax64, Technet and the local weather are the only sites I regularly visit other than if I'm actually shopping for something or comparing products for something I plan on buying.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2009   #12
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
Problem with advertising is simple - it pays, and it pays well.
So does selling drugs, pimping prostitutes or a being a TV evangelist. Not a fan of that either.



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
All you folks that like to block advertising b/c it annoys you - as soon as you start dishing out money to support the websites that you frequent, I'll accept your bitching and moaning and complaints as valid.
So unless your a paying member - time, effort and input are worthless then? Good to know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2009   #13
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

I think people missed the point of my OP.

Conventional advertising (like on parts of this / other sites) can easily be tolerated -- I'm not arguing about those. You can read or ignore at will and these aren't of the "invasive" kind where the user has no control or very limited.

The other "Active" kind such as POPUPS which give the user no control (or limited control) are the big culprits. They also make you lose your thread of concentration - even if you "block" popups there's still a yellow bar on top of IE saying Popup disabled or Blocked.

The 3rd kind which is what my OP was about are the worst of all the evils as they can't be stopped via conventional popup blockingl and IMO are totally counter productive.

At least with TV breaks you can Read the paper, have a drink, do something else etc --you aren't forced to view the commercials.

When I am in the UK I do most of my TV viewing via a SKY TV Plus box. Great invention by SKY TV BTW and really easy to use. This is so simple to use that "even an adult can program it". Then when I watch a program I just forward wind @30X past the commercial breaks if watching a commercial channel

Internet advertising whilst being welcomed with open arms by business IMO will never deliver the zillions of dollars people said it would make.

If I'm LOOKING for a specific item then as a search engine and world wide catalog the it can't be beaten -- but for "general purpose advertising" -- no way.

Incidentally beware of the next phase in Internet advertising -- Subliminal Advertising.

"You Will use Windows 7 -- Resisitance is Futile" .

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Mar 2009   #14
johngalt

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by garysgold View Post
Well, as I said, I don't mind ads, and if something looks interesting, I will click on it. Sites that use a lot of flash and pop-ups to get my attention, I don't go back to. This includes my own ISP. Haven't been back to that site since the day after I signed up for the service. I also don't watch TV because the programs aren't good enough to make me want to listen to 1/3 advertising and 2/3 show.

I agree, Mark. Here, Vistax64, Technet and the local weather are the only sites I regularly visit other than if I'm actually shopping for something or comparing products for something I plan on buying.
I don't mind advertising either - and I don't like to block it - but there are definitely rogue advertising agencies out there and I will block them in the interests of self preservation. I am not saying that blocking in and of itself is wrong - but I *am* saying whiners about advertising for the sake of whining, without any sort of contributions that would help allay the cost, are, IMO, intolerable.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
So does selling drugs, pimping prostitutes or a being a TV evangelist. Not a fan of that either.
But do you regularly visit establishments that offer these vices on a daily, hourly, even on a minute by minute basis every minute that you are online?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
So unless your a paying member - time, effort and input are worthless then? Good to know.
I know you are more intelligent than that to try to twist my words into something that I am not saying. If you are contributing and you are whining, it can';t mean all that much because you're still coming back - but if you are here at all hours of the day, not contributing not paying and whining about advertising, as is the wont of numerous netizens all over, then you need to re-examine the facts.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
I think people missed the point of my OP.

Conventional advertising (like on parts of this / other sites) can easily be tolerated -- I'm not arguing about those. You can read or ignore at will and these aren't of the "invasive" kind where the user has no control or very limited.

The other "Active" kind such as POPUPS which give the user no control (or limited control) are the big culprits. They also make you lose your thread of concentration - even if you "block" popups there's still a yellow bar on top of IE saying Popup disabled or Blocked.

The 3rd kind which is what my OP was about are the worst of all the evils as they can't be stopped via conventional popup blockingl and IMO are totally counter productive.

At least with TV breaks you can Read the paper, have a drink, do something else etc --you aren't forced to view the commercials.

When I am in the UK I do most of my TV viewing via a SKY TV Plus box. Great invention by SKY TV BTW and really easy to use. This is so simple to use that "even an adult can program it". Then when I watch a program I just forward wind @30X past the commercial breaks if watching a commercial channel

Internet advertising whilst being welcomed with open arms by business IMO will never deliver the zillions of dollars people said it would make.

If I'm LOOKING for a specific item then as a search engine and world wide catalog the it can't be beaten -- but for "general purpose advertising" -- no way.

Incidentally beware of the next phase in Internet advertising -- Subliminal Advertising.

"You Will use Windows 7 -- Resisitance is Futile" .

Cheers
jimbo
I didn't miss your point - but apparently my point did get missed.

Why were there uncircumventable advertisements developed? because the status quo was already being circumvented.

Think about it - most punishments are not only used to exact some sort of reparation from guilty parties but also to serve as deterrents for others who might wish to do the same. When the system gets too easy to circumvent, the system gets changed, upgraded, what have you, so that the new system is less circumventable. In convenience stores all around, security systems including such things as security guards, security lights, camera systems, live video monitoring, etc. were unheard of in all but the very large scale stores 30 years ago. Thievery existed - but the system overall worked for the vat majority of store owners to watch for thieves and to get them caught when victimized. Fast forward about 15 years and video surveillance is proliferating at an alarming rate - and the costs of having those systems, along with other security devices, security lighting, security guards, etc. eventually trickles down to the consumers - raising the prices of the goods being sold to offset the cost of the additional overhead the store owners and conglomerates have to put up with. This, in turn, makes more items more unavailable to greater numbers of the public - which seems to perpetuate a vicious cycle of more thieves --> more security --> more thievery. However, the security also serves as a deterrent to those that would consider turning to thievery in the first place, as would the consequences. Getting caught is a lot easier, even if you massacre all the occupants of the store at any give time - and police response times are getting faster and faster as more police force is out on the streets, thereby increasing the chance that you get caught.

I know it seems odd to try to use crime as a metaphor for complaining about advertising, but the principle remains the same - the more the system gets circumvented, the more the system is adapted to address the circumvention. These advertisements that cannot be controlled by conventional means exists *solely* because methods exist today that allow even the most novice of users to circumvent the previous generation of advertising. Things like NoScript, local HTTP servers combined with hosts files, GreaseMonkey, JavaScript blocking at the OS level, HTTP filtering, etc all allow for blocking a lot of advertising, for whatever reason, be it my self preservation, your annoyance at the intrusion, or someone else's self-righteous misapprehension about their right to advertising-free web sites. Therefore, these new variations on advertising are developed to circumvent the circumvention techniques currently in use - and when the system begins to fail again because these new methods are easily circumvented, rest assured that the system will again be adapted to deal with that next generation of circumvention.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2009   #15
Stinkfinger

Windows 7 x64 Build 7057
 
 

Thank god for Adblock Plus.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2009   #16
johngalt

 

I'd thank the developer too - after all, it was his hard work :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2009   #17
smarteyeball

 
 

Sorry. I was just in a pissy mood after a depressing b'day yesterday. I took the wrong end of the stick and started shaking it. I was just being a pr*ck

[tangent]
It's just that I'm tired of being advertised at all the time. I no longer watch free to air tv or listen to commercial radio simply because it's gotten to the point where a red mist descends because of it all. It just frustrates me that the human race has so much potential, yet we contuniually undermine our potential by frittering it away on inanities.

I also don't like being manipulated and I just view advertising as an insiduious or sometimes downright blatant form of manipulation. Either way, logical or illogical, it's one of my buttons

Hell, On a daily basis, I unwittingly recall ads and jingles from 20+ years ago for products I never bought.... That's wasted room in my brain that could have been filled by something usefull instead

[/tangent]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2009   #18
johngalt

 

Sorry, dude, I was up 6 hours diagnosing and removing a particularly nasty 0-day trojan that my sister infected herself with to notice it was yer Birthday. So, Happy belated B'day, bud - too bad yer not a Pisces though :P

RE; your tangent - I am not saying they are right - but if it had not been for advertising, TV would not have proliferated as swiftly as it did. Unfortunately, it allowed the television companies, although keeping the costs relatively low for customers, to make oodles of money with which to buy more advertising :P

As for advertising in general, I tend to *not* buy products that I have seen advertised - If my product is simply not good enough to stand on its own merit, then that means I need to get more people talking about it - which means the product is of average quality in the first place. I now that any marketing major would be screaming blasphemy right now and have all sorts of studies to quote proving me wrong, but I am a Mathematics major - and if there is one thing I know, it is that Statistics can be skewed to represent just about *any* fact you want to.

Take this wonderful cartoon last week from XKCD:



Statistically speaking, the bonuses paid were less than 0.1% of the total bailout monies received. Again, statistically speaking, that is not a major amount when you consider it. Now, I am not saying this *justifies* AIG's actions - I am saying that the media has a ***long*** history of distorting facts by statistical and optical manipulation. How many times have you heard a news story mention some sort of 'statistical analysis' from 'multiple sources' in which the broadcaster says something like "...and some studies put that figure as high as XXX ...." What they neglect to tell you is the scope of, the parameters of, and the methodology used to determine said number, and what the number really means, and statistically speaking, how significant the number is compared to the mean, or how much of a variance there is, etc.

Numbers don't mean jack, unless you have the exact context they are in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2009   #19
angryman

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

On a side note for the example of using crime as a metaphor, although I agree advertising is needed to support sites as we have it all around us, I would consider browser overtaking advertisements a kind of martial law in that context. I don't agree with those, but no advertisements have annoyed me to the point I skip a site, yet anyway.

Email spam is another whole can of worms entirely.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2009   #20
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi all -- I didn't say NO advertising -- I meant that sort that blocks what you are reading until you move it or click away.

As to the whole "Crime" part -- althhough this is really OT to the point of the thread : -

I rarely ever now actually go into a "Physical Store" anymore other than Supermarkets and Petrol / Gas stations.

The whole experience now is totally unpleasant -- big security guards everywhere and enough video cameras out there that a High Security Jail would be proud of .

Electronics stores are the WORST offenders .

You can't often get to see the devices you want because they are locked up BEHIND the counter so if you want to look at something like the number of connections on the back of the device (can be important if you want to hook up to other components) you either have to strain your neck whilst a big security gorilla strolls by and wonders if you are casing the joint -- I stare back anyway and they scuttle off as I'm around 1.2 meter height, typically scandanavian blond and look as if I'm about to pull out a "horned" helmet and a battle axe--- or wait 45 minutes to see an assistant (who usually doesn't know anything) after he's been dealing with a customer asking idiotic questions like how do I turn on my PC.

Looking for a Motherboard is also a pain -- the "Aux" CPU power connector on the motherboard can have 4 or 8 connections. Most Power supplies still have 4 so when buying a new mother board you want to know if it's compatable with your power supply before buying.

Ask any of the guys to open one up and see the reaction. Whatever happened to "Customer Service".

Actually the only joy I get shopping now is "Terryfying" the "Tiny" security guards who are generally much smaller than me (phillipinos etc in London) who I probably could trample underfoot if I had to -- Sad life isn't it.

Thankgoodness for Internet shopping.

Towns / Cities are places to go Drinking etc and enjoy yourselves.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is default email account type deteremined by type of device?
I set up an Outlook account on a new-to-me laptop. I had been unable to download email for several months, since I didn't have a computer. I had been saving the emails I wanted to keep and had planned on downloading them into my new computer. After setting up the account, it appeared the system...
Microsoft Office
how to deal with photo files Type 1 and Type 2
I found a few pix in my files that I want to edit with Photoshop. I can't open them in PS because they are Type 1 or Type 2. When I try to open them, PS says they are .jpg.1 or. jpg.2. How do I get rid of the .1 and .2 so they become normal JPG photo files? I can look at them with Windows...
Music, Pictures & Video
7, I Hate!
Hey guys, I just came from XP to 7 Ultimate 64Bit to be able to utilize my 6GB of RAM. As of now, 7 is making me made nuts as there are a few things that drive to the point where I feel like I'm using a Mac because it simply just does not make any sense! First thing I realized, I can't view...
General Discussion
I hate windows 7
Hmmm so I am pretty mad right now. 1) The forums telling me that win 7 was a ok b) poeple in the industry was telling me that it was safe go for it c) not following my gut instinct and getting windows 7. It is the biggest hunk of garbage I have ever dealt with, my work flow is completely in...
General Discussion
something i hate
:mad: i was perusing the forum just looking for some thread topics that might interest me. i came across one where the op was asking for suggestions for a product (trying to leave things vague to protect identities). anyway, people chimed in and gave their input. pretty much after each input from...
Chillout Room
I hate W7 for one reason!
I have upgraded from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7. I can't stand it for only one reason. Somebody help me out with this. If you open photoshop (or any program) and create a new file and save it. Close. Then open the file again and make a change I get the message: "Could not save...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:43.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App