Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Changed user account name but profile and paths keep old name

03 Feb 2011   #1
Athene

 
Changed user account name but profile and paths keep old name

Hi everyone,

I got a new HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. When I booted it up for the first time, there was already an administrator account on it named after the company who sent me the laptop. I renamed the user account and the computer to my name. Unfortunately, this change was not taken over by my profile folder or the profile folder paths. For example, if I go to the C drive and to "Users", then there's the Public folder and underneath it is my profile folder (which has a lock icon) - stuck with the previous name. I can access it and see the picture, music, desktop etc. folders with my stuff in them. I wanted to save a Word Document, and the username in the path was the old one, so that's how I first noticed the issue.

I searched and asked around and found out that I'd have to create a new user account and delete the old one to fix this issue. I came across two sets of instructions. I found one set over here in this Microsoft document for Windows 7 - it is about replacing a corrupted user profile, and it says that one would need THREE user accounts to do it...Very confusing...obviously, my user profile is not corrupt, but it looks like I have to replace it:
Fix a corrupted user profile

The second set of instructions I came across simply said that I'd have to do the following:

1) rename my current account back to the old unwanted name
2) create a new administrator account with my name and log into it
3) copy documents, music, pictures etc. to the new account (how does one do this, and does this include hidden folders like the AppData folder?)
4) Delete the old account

I am not sure if these instructions are for Windows XP only or if they can be applied to Windows 7 as well.

Can you please help me fix this issue? I'm not a computer geek, I cannot edit the registry, I am a Windows 7 newbie and I don't know which instructions to follow.
I have already installed some new programs on the laptop - Microsoft Office 2010, Firefox, Thunderbird; I have no idea whether and how creating a new user account and deleting the old one will affect them/cause problems...

Thanks in advance for your time and patience :-)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Feb 2011   #2
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PallasAthene View Post
Hi everyone,

I got a new HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. When I booted it up for the first time, there was already an administrator account on it named after the company who sent me the laptop. I renamed the user account and the computer to my name. Unfortunately, this change was not taken over by my profile folder or the profile folder paths. For example, if I go to the C drive and to "Users", then there's the Public folder and underneath it is my profile folder (which has a lock icon) - stuck with the previous name. I can access it and see the picture, music, desktop etc. folders with my stuff in them. I wanted to save a Word Document, and the username in the path was the old one, so that's how I first noticed the issue.

I searched and asked around and found out that I'd have to create a new user account and delete the old one to fix this issue. I came across two sets of instructions. I found one set over here in this Microsoft document for Windows 7 - it is about replacing a corrupted user profile, and it says that one would need THREE user accounts to do it...Very confusing...obviously, my user profile is not corrupt, but it looks like I have to replace it:
Fix a corrupted user profile

The second set of instructions I came across simply said that I'd have to do the following:

1) rename my current account back to the old unwanted name
2) create a new administrator account with my name and log into it
3) copy documents, music, pictures etc. to the new account (how does one do this, and does this include hidden folders like the AppData folder?)
4) Delete the old account

I am not sure if these instructions are for Windows XP only or if they can be applied to Windows 7 as well.

Can you please help me fix this issue? I'm not a computer geek, I cannot edit the registry, I am a Windows 7 newbie and I don't know which instructions to follow.
I have already installed some new programs on the laptop - Microsoft Office 2010, Firefox, Thunderbird; I have no idea whether and how creating a new user account and deleting the old one will affect them/cause problems...

Thanks in advance for your time and patience :-)
The instructions above are correct, but instead of manually copying all the files, the easier way is to use Windows Easy Transfer (free download from Microsoft) and when going through its process, treat the old account as the "old computer" and the new account as the "new computer." Everything will be transferred to the new account (EVERYTHING), and then you can delete the old account.

This is one of those times where a new user will just have to suck it up and learn some new stuff. There's no simple fix to what you need to accomplish.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2011   #3
Athene

 

Quote:
This is one of those times where a new user will just have to suck it up and learn some new stuff. There's no simple fix to what you need to accomplish.
Hi, thanks for your answer. I am quite aware of having to "suck it up" in order to learn some new stuff - I've had Windows 98, XP, Vista and now Windows 7.

Now, if I want to copy my files manually, which set of instructions do I follow? The Microsoft document mentions three admin user accounts, the second set says to simply create one new user account. I'd be most grateful if this confusion could be cleared
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Feb 2011   #4
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PallasAthene View Post
Quote:
This is one of those times where a new user will just have to suck it up and learn some new stuff. There's no simple fix to what you need to accomplish.
Hi, thanks for your answer. I am quite aware of having to "suck it up" in order to learn some new stuff - I've had Windows 98, XP, Vista and now Windows 7.

Now, if I want to copy my files manually, which set of instructions do I follow? The Microsoft document mentions three admin user accounts, the second set says to simply create one new user account. I'd be most grateful if this confusion could be cleared
I don't know about three sets of instructions, I just know how you do it.

1) Create a new temporary account with admin privilege, name doesn't matter.

2) Log into that new account.

3) Rename your old account back to its original name.

4) Create your new account with the desired name.

5) Log into the new account so that the directory structure is created.

6) Log back into the temporary account.

7) Copy from the old to the new.

8) Delete the old (or wait until later to do this if you prefer).

9) Log into the new account.

10) Delete the temporary account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2011   #5
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

If I am correct you are using the hidden adminstrator account. If this is so, you could have problems if you are not experienced.
Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable
Create a new administrator account and hide the above administrator like it should be.
The hidden account is to be used only in the case of problems that the normal adminstrator cannot solve. It is too powerful for the inexperienced to use on a daily basis. It can make changes to your computer that can cause problems.
Many times stores that sell computers use the Hidden Administrator with their name.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2011   #6
Athene

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
If I am correct you are using the hidden adminstrator account. If this is so, you could have problems if you are not experienced.
Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable
Create a new administrator account and hide the above administrator like it should be.
The hidden account is to be used only in the case of problems that the normal adminstrator cannot solve. It is too powerful for the inexperienced to use on a daily basis. It can make changes to your computer that can cause problems.
Many times stores that sell computers use the Hidden Administrator with their name.
Hi, I have a normal administrator account which gives me UAC prompts/notifications when I need to change the settings or install/uninstall software.

I was wondering if the following possibility would also work since my computer is new (I have hardly used it) and I have only installed a few programs (including, of course, security software - Norton Internet Security 2011) on it and added two or three Word documents. I've not transferred any music, videos, pictures etc. to the computer so far. In other words - I don't have many files to copy, and I could simply move my documents and copies of my Firefox and Thunderbird profile folders to a USB flash drive and then transfer them in that manner to a new user account. Would that be possible (that way I would not have to create a third temporary administrator account either)?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2011   #7
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2011   #8
Athene

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
I figured from browsing around the forum
Thank you very much for your time and patience. Just two more things ;-)))

Exactly how does one know if one is using an built-in admin account or the default/normal one? Is it simply that there are no UAC prompts when using the former account? Because from what I read, it is possible to rename the built-in admin account.

And secondly, why is it necessary to copy the AppData folder to the new user account? Would it be possible to just leave it and copy only the handful of documents I've got (via USB flash drive as posted above)? Sorry - I tend to get hooked onto the details...that way I can add this interesting phenomenon in in-depth detail to my computer folder of oddities ;-)

PS: nice avatar ;-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2011   #9
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

The Avatar is a picuture that I took at the Atlanta Georgia Zoo, its a meerkat.

Yes you can just transfer a few documents using a finger drive, external hard drive etc.
You can also use easy transfer. For a few documents, just transfer to a finger drive and then to the new account
Windows 7 Features: Windows Easy Transfer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2011   #10
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Me bad
Make sure that UAC is set to notify. If you are not notified that is the hidden adm.
Also, you can try to enable the hidden adm and see what happens.
User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Changed user account name but profile and paths keep old name




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
User Profile/Account problem (can't login to original admin account)
I'm the only user on this laptop and my admin account was called "HybridPC" and I disabled the windows login screen. (Turn computer on and goes right to desktop). One day the welcome screen popped up out of nowhere and I had to login. I tried disabling the login screen to where it was before and...
General Discussion
User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back
So this is probably the strangest problem I have ever encountered with Windows 7. About two or three months ago, I noticed that my user account had suddenly changed into a guest account. I get prompted for an administrator password when trying to do any tasks that require administrator privilege....
General Discussion
can the name of a user account be changed
I am the administrator of a resident computer in an Assisted Living facility. I have set up several user accounts with their first names so they could easily identify them. Several of the residents have left and no longer need a user account. How can I change the name of the accounts in question? I...
General Discussion
Error in User Account Profile! Help!
Hi, I'm still new with Windows 7. I downloaded the "Absolute uninstaller" here in the forum (got the link from here). Now, I'm cleaning my laptop, uninstalling those that are not familliar and usable. Now, I'm having a big problem, because, my anti-virus is not anymore working, the folder is still...
System Security
Account Profile Changed-- Help!
I have an incredibly strange situation. Due to a virus or something (virus scan found one infection, but it had no impact on the problem), whenever I login to my computer, it uses the default profile instead of my user account. All of my files are still in my User folder, but it creates a folder...
General Discussion
User Profile Name Doesn't Changed !
Hi Guys :) I have PC with Windows 7 - 64bit I Change My User Name From "Fayez" to "Fawaz" .. From Control Panel .. But My User Profile Folder Name Doesn't Changed !
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App