Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't copy files from external HDD to internal.

29 Nov 2009   #31
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

You may want to try another port or cable too.

~Lordbob


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Nov 2009   #32
veii

7 Ultimate 32Bit / Ubuntu 9.10 64Bit / 9.10 64Bit
 
 

I tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling, didn't work.

Doesn't work from the hidden Admin account.

I seem to be able to move smaller folders, but once they get over a certain size they won't budge.

There's enough room on the drive because I only just changed it from ext3 to NTFS, so it's freshly formatted.

I can't be bothered any more. I'm just going to copy everything to the other drive overnight using a live CD while I sleep.

Thanks for helping guys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #33
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by veii View Post
There's enough room on the drive because I only just changed it from ext3 to NTFS, so it's freshly formatted.
This was formatted differently? That may be part of the cause. After you have moved everything over, reformat the drive and use the right format type.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Nov 2009   #34
veii

7 Ultimate 32Bit / Ubuntu 9.10 64Bit / 9.10 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by veii View Post
There's enough room on the drive because I only just changed it from ext3 to NTFS, so it's freshly formatted.
This was formatted differently? That may be part of the cause. After you have moved everything over, reformat the drive and use the right format type.

~Lordbob
No, I formatted it from ext3 to NTFS before I tried putting any files or folders on it. (Or posted this thread.) I'm putting the folders onto the newly formatted NTFS internal drive.

I'm moving some of my filesystems over to NTFS. (I'm coming to Windows after a couple of years using Ubuntu.)

Edit: I know Windows can only read it's own 2 filesystems. (Without fsdriver installed.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #35
kbz1960

7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

You might look at this, they never say if it solved it or not and not quit the same situation but might be worth a try.

Windows 7 Ultimate file copy problems
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #36
veii

7 Ultimate 32Bit / Ubuntu 9.10 64Bit / 9.10 64Bit
 
 

Just an update. I tried doing this with my laptop as well - and with different drives - and it will transfer smaller folders and/or files between drives, but won't transfer bigger folders.

The stats on the "Music" folder that I'm trying to move are: 131GB, with 13,893 files in 1,809 folders.

Has anyone managed to transfer a folder that big using Windows 7? It seems strange that my laptop won't do it either, and that it doesn't matter which drives I try it on.

Like I say it seems to be a size issue (not permissions, or free space) because smaller folders are fine, but when the folder exceeds a certain size it won't budge. There's no dialogue or verbose output of any kind.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #37
belikexp

Windows 7 x64
 
 

131 gigs...

You always need about 15% free space. So if you take you current space used on your hard drive + 131 gigs; do you have 15% free space left?

Transfer a hand full of folders at a time. Once you get the files off do a full format on the external hard drive. I assume it's NTFS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #38
veii

7 Ultimate 32Bit / Ubuntu 9.10 64Bit / 9.10 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belikexp View Post
131 gigs...

You always need about 15% free space. So if you take you current space used on your hard drive + 131 gigs; do you have 15% free space left?

Transfer a hand full of folders at a time. Once you get the files off do a full format on the external hard drive. I assume it's NTFS.
The 250GB drive had just been formatted to NTFS and is completely empty. The other drive is NTFS also.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #39
veii

7 Ultimate 32Bit / Ubuntu 9.10 64Bit / 9.10 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by veii View Post
Just an update. I tried doing this with my laptop as well - and with different drives - and it will transfer smaller folders and/or files between drives, but won't transfer bigger folders.

The stats on the "Music" folder that I'm trying to move are: 131GB, with 13,893 files in 1,809 folders.

Has anyone managed to transfer a folder that big using Windows 7? It seems strange that my laptop won't do it either, and that it doesn't matter which drives I try it on.

Like I say it seems to be a size issue (not permissions, or free space) because smaller folders are fine, but when the folder exceeds a certain size it won't budge. There's no dialogue or verbose output of any kind.
It's a bit of a moot point now as I've used an Ubuntu live CD to copy the files over without any problems.

I'm still wondering if anyone else has been able to copy/move/paste a folder that size using Windows 7? I'm thinking it may be a size limitation in the OS at the moment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #40
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by veii View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by veii View Post
Just an update. I tried doing this with my laptop as well - and with different drives - and it will transfer smaller folders and/or files between drives, but won't transfer bigger folders.

The stats on the "Music" folder that I'm trying to move are: 131GB, with 13,893 files in 1,809 folders.

Has anyone managed to transfer a folder that big using Windows 7? It seems strange that my laptop won't do it either, and that it doesn't matter which drives I try it on.

Like I say it seems to be a size issue (not permissions, or free space) because smaller folders are fine, but when the folder exceeds a certain size it won't budge. There's no dialogue or verbose output of any kind.
It's a bit of a moot point now as I've used an Ubuntu live CD to copy the files over without any problems.

I'm still wondering if anyone else has been able to copy/move/paste a folder that size using Windows 7? I'm thinking it may be a size limitation in the OS at the moment.
Hi and welcome

Not an OS limitation. I have moved much larger files on 332bit so i am sure 64bit would work as well. I think its more a function of the HD speed and ram.


Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't copy files from external HDD to internal.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Internal drive disappears when trying to copy LOTS of files TO it
I am trying to copy a large number of files (500GB) from one internal drive to a partition on another internal drive. Unfortunately, the copy operation will copy a few files <very very slowly> but after a short while the target drive will "disappear" and the copy operation will crash. I have tried...
Hardware & Devices
Can't copy files from external hard drive
So I recently moved from XP to 7. Before I did this I created a backup of some files on my XP box and copied it to an external hard drive. Now that I'm on Windows 7 I've learned that there is really no way to directly restore the backup. So I have restored it onto a Vista box and copied the...
General Discussion
BSOD copying/moveing files from internal/external HDD
hi all, can you help me with this debugging--- my machine is unstable IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL damn... I have lost details
BSOD Help and Support
Acces Denied - copy files external drive (xp)
Hi - In copying files from external drive (xp files) I received a lot of access denied errors on open. I right clicked on drive, and some subsequent folders, and took ownership, and set up full control permissions for admin group (as I am admin). STill got errors on some of the files. They...
System Security
Can't copy files to external drive
I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.I can plug an small pen drive and transfer from pen drive to computer and vice versa.But with WD mybook I can transfer to computer but not from computer to mybook.With Vista it worked perfectly.
Hardware & Devices
Files can't copy to USB's or external HDD's???!!!
hi guys I got this really strange problem going on with my win 7 x64 Ultimate when i wanna copy a iso image thats pretty large (3gigs+) my pc wont let me copy it even though i have like double the file size that i wanna copy hyperlink to screenshot...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App