Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: WIN very slow, CPU close to 100% all of the time.

11 May 2010   #1
Windows7inMiami

Windows 7
 
 
WIN very slow, CPU close to 100% all of the time.

I have had many issues with my WIN 7 Computer which I clean installed a few months back. I have a Gateway NV52 and ANYTHING that has to do with streaming video just kills the computer. It is just very slow now and it just keeps my computer working on the edge all times. I cannot watch videos in HD on any streaming site as it won't work properly it is just too much. The computer is less then a year old and I don't think that this is right. What I really want to do is scale down on non-essential services, any help?

Thank you





Here is a picture of my task manager.







My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 May 2010   #2
kurahk7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows7inMiami View Post
I have had many issues with my WIN 7 Computer which I clean installed a few months back. I have a Gateway NV52 and ANYTHING that has to do with streaming video just kills the computer. It is just very slow now and it just keeps my computer working on the edge all times. I cannot watch videos in HD on any streaming site as it won't work properly it is just too much. The computer is less then a year old and I don't think that this is right. What I really want to do is scale down on non-essential services, any help?

Thank you





Here is a picture of my task manager.




Can you fill out your system specs please.
Edit: Did you install the latest drivers for your graphics card?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2010   #3
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Hi there, 51 processes at a time seems to be a bit high.
In the Start Search button, type msconfig and press enter.
Select Diagnostic Startup>Apply>OK>Restart Computer.

WIN very slow, CPU close to 100% all of the time.-capture.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 May 2010   #4
joseph10444

Win7 Pro 64
 
 

should i do it too?
i just restarted my computer and it seems that i have 102 processes (from everything in total)

and these days i am always getting a weaker and slower windows.
video streaming may have something to do with it, but it's at 100% double core usage at random times
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #5
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joseph10444 View Post
should i do it too?
i just restarted my computer and it seems that i have 102 processes (from everything in total)

and these days i am always getting a weaker and slower windows.
video streaming may have something to do with it, but it's at 100% double core usage at random times
Yes try diagnostics startup and see the difference. All unwanted apps wont open and the speed of your computer will increase.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #6
joseph10444

Win7 Pro 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joseph10444 View Post
should i do it too?
i just restarted my computer and it seems that i have 102 processes (from everything in total)

and these days i am always getting a weaker and slower windows.
video streaming may have something to do with it, but it's at 100% double core usage at random times
Yes try diagnostics startup and see the difference. All unwanted apps wont open and the speed of your computer will increase.
if i set it to diagnostic startup, will it stay default?
So nothing from the Startup tab will be executed, correct?
Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #7
Windows7inMiami

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Hi there, 51 processes at a time seems to be a bit high.
In the Start Search button, type msconfig and press enter.
Select Diagnostic Startup>Apply>OK>Restart Computer.

Attachment 72363

I just did this and nothing worked on my computer. No sound no internet, nothing worked. I had to change back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #8
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joseph10444 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joseph10444 View Post
should i do it too?
i just restarted my computer and it seems that i have 102 processes (from everything in total)

and these days i am always getting a weaker and slower windows.
video streaming may have something to do with it, but it's at 100% double core usage at random times
Yes try diagnostics startup and see the difference. All unwanted apps wont open and the speed of your computer will increase.
if i set it to diagnostic startup, will it stay default?
So nothing from the Startup tab will be executed, correct?
Thanks
Yes you are right. and if you find that your system is running faster, you can manually click on the Startup and Services tab and disable unwanted apps. Remember, if you plan to disable services, tick Hide All Microsoft Services. Also, if the service is disabled, that particular program wont start. So I'd rather suggest you to disable just all the startup items.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #9
Windows7inMiami

Windows 7
 
 

I disabled a lot of stuff on start up I seem to be running better. Maybe I just have a cheap laptop?

Gateway NV52
  1. AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL-64
  2. 15.6" 16:9 HD LED LCD
  3. 320 GB HDD
  4. 4 GB Memory (NOT UPGRADABLE!!!!!)
  5. DVD-SUPER MULTI DL DRIVE
  6. WEBCAM
  7. MULTI-in-1 card reader
Those are my specs, Win 7 clean install.

I have my top three service hogs as Firefox constantly well over 130K and then Windows Host process for windows services which hovers at 76K and finally AntiMalware from Windows at 65K.


Everything else is 20K and lower.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2012   #10
Windows7inMiami

Windows 7
 
 

Hey guys I am back with the same issue. All of a sudden my computer got VERY slow. Fan is on full blast all the time. Youtube is unusable, vidoes just glitch out similar to a poor cable connection. Even when I type these words in this box teh computer struggles to keep up. IDK why. I really don't wana have to reboot and clean install but will do if I have to.

P.S. If I have to clean install again, how to I make my Win 7 disk, this computer did not come with one.

I mean My computer is so slow now that if I move my mouse, the curser can't even keep up.

Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 WIN very slow, CPU close to 100% all of the time.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD every time I close the computer
I don't think I've installed anything new...suddenly the pc shows BSOD every time I close. There is no probs booting, working (several hours) and so on. The only problem is when I close it. As I wrote no new driver or hard ware has been installed this year and the pc has been working flawless...
BSOD Help and Support
Looking for something as close to Time Machine as possible
I have a multi-OS household so I've gotten to see Apple's Time Machine up close and personal. Here's what it does: 1) You plug in a USB drive (or configure it to point at a Time Capsule or at a Linux netatalk share configured to look like a Time Capsule), and then it just works. Nothing else to...
Backup and Restore
Whenever I Minimize or close any program it goes in slow motion.
Thank you all in advance for your help. The problem I currently have is whenever I open close minimize or maximize a program, be it google chrome or World of Warcraft or even any MS Office program it starts slowly and minimizes slowly. I've been having this problem for about 5 days now and I...
BSOD Help and Support
IE Slow to close
Hi group, Just noticing a general slow reaction time when I close down IE. It seems to lag a bit then close. Any ideas as to why? Antonio1975tac
Browsers & Mail
FF 3.5.1 won't close every time
It doesn't happen all the time but it happens quite a lot. I close FF using the X top RH corner,all looks good. Go to reopen and nothing happens. Start task manager and FF is not present in Applications but in processes firefox.exe is running. I end ff.exe then start ff and it opens up to the...
Browsers & Mail
W7 extends my display every time I close my laptop's li
Hi, I have a ThinkPad T400 and I'm dual-booting Vista and 7 (but I only really use 7). In 7, when you press Windows+P, you get 4 display options: Computer Only, Duplicate, Extend, and Projector Only. Since I just have one laptop screen, I obviously want Computer Only. But every time I close the...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App