Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Missing Network Devices/Computers

04 Sep 2009   #11
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

HRM, et. al. -

Looks like I found the problem. I had COMODO set too tight, and it was not allowing "system" to do multicast. I loosened up the restrictions in the COMODO firewall and it looks like that has solved the problem.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I need to study up more on the firewall stuff, it would appear - embarassing as I do computer security for a living - <sigh>


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Sep 2009   #12
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSchaft View Post
HRM, et. al. -

Looks like I found the problem. I had COMODO set too tight, and it was not allowing "system" to do multicast. I loosened up the restrictions in the COMODO firewall and it looks like that has solved the problem.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I need to study up more on the firewall stuff, it would appear - embarassing as I do computer security for a living - <sigh>
To be honest, there is no reason to be running a firewall on a computer in your own private network. The firewall in the router alone is enough. And if you really wanted to be running a firewall just use the one built into Windows 7. Its more then capable. The built in one also has the advantage of only turning on when you join a public network, that is when you really need it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2009   #13
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

logicearth -

I partially agree with what you say.

The router keeps the LAN hidden and catches most of the bad activity. However, I've found that MS Media Player has a bad habit of sending information someplace, for some reason, so I like to stop it.

There are some other programs that like to "phone home" also, and I like to be able to control what goes out of my system. Just paranoid I guess. <shrug>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Sep 2009   #14
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSchaft View Post
logicearth -

I partially agree with what you say.

The router keeps the LAN hidden and catches most of the bad activity. However, I've found that MS Media Player has a bad habit of sending information someplace, for some reason, so I like to stop it.

There are some other programs that like to "phone home" also, and I like to be able to control what goes out of my system. Just paranoid I guess. <shrug>
You can do all that with the built in firewall, just set it to block from the properties in "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security". Or go into the Outbound Rules section and set Windows Media Player, down in the list to block.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2009   #15
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

It's a common misconception to think a hardware firewall is enough.

It only protects you from unsolicited incoming packets.

It does not protect against solicited incoming packets.

This means a program like a trojan, keylogger or a program that just want's to send info to the internet can easily bypass the routers firewall.


A tip for TheShaft.

When troubleshooting network problems, ALWAYS turn off all software firewalls.

From your first post I deducted you had good knowledge of networking, so I wrongly assumed you would have thought of turning firewalls off.

Nice to learn that your problem is solved.

Greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2009   #16
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

squonksc -

I like to try to solve these sort of problems while keeping the parameters as close to what I run as possible.

I could have turned off the software firewall (COMODO) and found that the problem was solved, but the real source of the problem would have been buried.

Since I obviously have too much time on my hands, I elected to narrow the problem down to what in COMODO was causing the issue as opposed to just turning off the firewall and declaring a victory.

I appreciate your suggestions on this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2009   #17
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squonksc View Post
It's a common misconception to think a hardware firewall is enough.

It only protects you from unsolicited incoming packets.

It does not protect against solicited incoming packets.

This means a program like a trojan, keylogger or a program that just want's to send info to the internet can easily bypass the routers firewall.
Yet the malware is already on the computer with full control over that computer, which in turn can make any changes it wants which could allow it to bypass any security software running making the whole point moot.

The best defense is not to get any of that on your computer in the first place.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2009   #18
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
You can do all that with the built in firewall, just set it to block from the properties in "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security". Or go into the Outbound Rules section and set Windows Media Player, down in the list to block.
I agree that the built-in firewall, especially when used with Windows 7 Firewall Controller, can do what you say - I ran it and set it to only allow incoming Windows Media Player access. I'm just more comfortable with COMODO since I've been using it for a couple of years - <shrug> different strokes.

I think that the Windows 7 security approach has improved greatly over time, and look forward to their future changes. I may go back to the embedded firewall and Windows 7 Firewall Controller in the future, assuming it is as easy to manipulate as I find COMODO to be (probably because I'm more familiar with it.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2009   #19
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Yet the malware is already on the computer with full control over that computer, which in turn can make any changes it wants which could allow it to bypass any security software running making the whole point moot.
Nonsense.

You are only right in case one never checks the firewall rules to look for anything fishy.

That's why you are right in 99% of the cases.


@Theshaft,

I can see your point, but you make a wrong jump in your thoughts. IMHO

If you had disabled the firewall, you would instantly know the problem lies somewhere in there, thus saving you time looking in other places.

From there you could examine the firewall further.

If turning it off made no difference, you could instantly rule it out.

Greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2009   #20
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

[QUOTE=squonksc;254736

@Theshaft,

I can see your point, but you make a wrong jump in your thoughts. IMHO

If you had disabled the firewall, you would instantly know the problem lies somewhere in there, thus saving you time looking in other places.

From there you could examine the firewall further.

If turning it off made no difference, you could instantly rule it out.

[/QUOTE]

Ahh, Sorry, I should have explained it better.

From experience, I realized almost immediately that the problem had to be in the software firewall, so I tackled that first.

How did I come to that conclusion? Again my error in not explaining it better. The problem occurred most often (but not always) with the systems running COMODO.

My wife's system rarely had the problem, but was running the most vanilla 7100 RC of the three - windows firewall with no restrictions (I had toasted her system when I re-partitioned it from XP - long story, not relevant)

HOWEVER, the problem would occur with her system on occasion - see earlier posts - so I had to bound the problem.

It turns out that if you have the type of incompatability I posted about the only solution is to turn off all the systems and start again (waving the magic chicken is optional.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Missing Network Devices/Computers




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Intermittently Printer icon go missing from Devices and Printers
Hi All, We got one color printer setup in our organization which intermittently printer icon go missing in devices and printers location however other printer we didnt cause this problem. We installed Printer drivers on Windows server 2008 R2. Once we re-install software it will come back and...
Hardware & Devices
Samba Devices/Computers can't access Windows 7.
I have a sort of file/media server setup on one of my boxes as I need a few programs running on it that can't be run on anything else (Well XP, but I'd rather have 7 running on the system). Well the problem is that none of my other computers can access it other then my main rig and another...
Network & Sharing
Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree
Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network screen. I have a home network with 2 laptops and 1 desktop. The desktop I use as a "file server" in that all work done on the laptops is stored to the desktop. The desktop computer name is HAL. One laptop is fine and sees the...
Network & Sharing
HDMI option missing from playback devices
As the title says "HDMI option missing from playback devices" NVDIA Geforce 9500GT, P55m-UD2 running Windows 7. I can plug into my HDMI and get video on my TV but no sound. I do not have the HDMI option in the playback devices? This is a new system with new drivers and updates. This is a...
Sound & Audio
missing hdmi in playback devices
Hello, I have been messing with trying to get hdmi to work in windows7. At 1 point I had several hdmi sound sources in my playback devices section of sounds. Whatever it really is called... I removed my old nvidia drivers ver 191. and went to the newest version 260. thats when I noticed they were...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App