Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: restoring system image to a new SSD

10 Jun 2011   #31
ozzysworld

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ozzysworld View Post


@bare foot kid - still not working using your suggestion. Is there something very specific I should be doing before the SSD goes into the laptop? Something that I can't do from the command line? I'm asking so that I can go back upstairs with it the xp machine and start over..

My apologies mate, I've never actually done exactly what you are attempting so I'm not much help there.
No worries. I appreciate all the help either way. I'm dying to get this SSD up and running, ha!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Jun 2011   #32
ozzysworld

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
You will need to download the drivers.

As you have the Windows 7 DVD, see if the HD will show here:
Attachment 158993
The drive is showing up everywhere as expected, but will not take the system restore.

I think I may have to resort to paying a Pro to get this working. Really didn't think it would be a problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2011   #33
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

What size was the old HD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Jun 2011   #34
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Have you considered a clean install of Windows 7 to the SSD with it being the only one connected to the lappy?


How to Do a Clean Installation with Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2011   #35
ozzysworld

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
What size was the old HD?
The hard drive was 300gig. But I removed everything and just left windows bare-bones.... left it at about 50gb

I think I see what you're about to say though...

Could my restore image be a 'clone' of the old drive? nearly 300gb, while my new SSD is only 120?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2011   #36
ozzysworld

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Have you considered a clean install of Windows 7 to the SSD with it being the only one connected to the lappy?


How to Do a Clean Installation with Windows 7
This would be ideal, but I dont have a full windows 7 disk. Only my image and a boot disk...

Obviously I could 'acuire' a windows 7 disk... but I'm trying to go down the legit route.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2011   #37
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 


If you can find an exact Windows version that the PC shipped with you can do a clean install using the activation key on the COA sticker attached to the PC though it may require a robo-call to MS to sort the OEM batch-key.

How to Activate Windows 7 by Phone


If you can't find an exact same version, you could use the info in this tutorial to create an "all versions" installer of any version Windows installer, to install using the same method I posted above.

Windows 7 Universal Installation Disc - Create
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2011   #38
ozzysworld

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post

If you can find an exact Windows version that the PC shipped with you can do a clean install using the activation key on the COA sticker attached to the PC though it may require a robo-call to MS to sort the OEM batch-key.

How to Activate Windows 7 by Phone


If you can't find an exact same version, you could use the info in this tutorial to create an "all versions" installer of any version Windows installer, to install using the same method I posted above.

Windows 7 Universal Installation Disc - Create
Interesting idea. I think I'll look into that option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2011   #39
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ozzysworld View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
What size was the old HD?
The hard drive was 300gig. But I removed everything and just left windows bare-bones.... left it at about 50gb

I think I see what you're about to say though...

Could my restore image be a 'clone' of the old drive? nearly 300gb, while my new SSD is only 120?
Sorry to say, YES.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2011   #40
ozzysworld

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ozzysworld View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
What size was the old HD?
The hard drive was 300gig. But I removed everything and just left windows bare-bones.... left it at about 50gb

I think I see what you're about to say though...

Could my restore image be a 'clone' of the old drive? nearly 300gb, while my new SSD is only 120?
Sorry to say, YES.
Shit!

How do people get around this? clean installs then?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 restoring system image to a new SSD




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 restoring from system image
Dear experts, Few days ago my laptop started to act strange. When I checked HDD, I got notification that I have to do backup, and replace drive. My question is: Do I have to install Windows 7 on new hard drive and then restore system image, or do I have to use some software for that purpose?...
Backup and Restore
Manually restoring a system image
Hello! I've made a Windows 7 system image of my old computer (with a 1 TB HDD) and want to restore it to a 500 GB HDD of the new computer. But it won't do it. Then I deleted the bigger partiton and left the 200 GB system partition but even now it won't restore it. So what I want to do is...
Backup and Restore
Question about Restoring from System Image?
Hi :) i want to know i had created a System Image of my Windows in which i included only Drive C: and System Reserved by default and i have'nt included any other drives at that time coz all other 4 drives were empty at that time. Now i want to know if i will restore my PC from the Image i created...
Backup and Restore
Advice please on restoring Win 7 Pro from system image
Having ongoing seemingly uncorrectable problems with my Win 7 PRO 64 bit system. Prinarily...I can not get the current HP printer/scanner drivers to uninstall/unload and/or can not get the current HP drivers/program system install download to correctly install. This is the only issue and can not...
Backup and Restore
restoring from system image file
hi guys, i have problem here, need help quick I just formatted my drive (c:\) due to the attack of virus, now, since i had made a system image on drive d:\, i want to restore all the system files on drive c:\ but when i tried to restore it through windows repair , setup gave a warning that i...
Backup and Restore
Restoring system image from HD2 Raid0 to new HD1
Hi guys, I have a Windows 7 ultimate on HD1 and had created a system image on HD2 as well as a repair cd. HD1 and HD2 are configured as Raid0. I just purchased a new and larger capacity HD to replace HD1. After I swapped out original HD1 with the new HD1 and booted off the repair cd...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App