Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cannot delete .eml files

14 Dec 2009   #1
CarlS

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
 
 
Cannot delete .eml files

Hi. I searched high and low, this forum and the web, and I can't find this one.
Background - this is a new machine - about 1 month old. Windows 7. 3 Gig, etc.
Email client is Windows Live Mail. I like it and Windows 7 a lot.

The current problem is that I cannot delete saved .eml files.
A delete, with the key or the right click, or whatever - does NOTHING.
No response.

I have discovered that if I open properties on the file, and select "details" and select remove properties and personal information, and then select the "remove the following properties button", and then hit OK, and OK, then I can delete it!

This is somewhat painful.
The good thing is that I can do it for a whole range of files, so it is not a killer.
I tend to save emails that deal with controversial issues, so I can resend them to someone, if need be.

The other insight is that this was not the case initially. Initially, all of these same, saved emails were having their dates updated every time I opened Windows Live Mail. Then SyncToy would recopy them, endlessly. That problem was mysteriously fixed, and then this one showed up - about 4 weeks ago.

And . . . does anyone actually read these things?

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Dec 2009   #2
Kari

 

Starting from the bottom of your post: Yes, some insomniacs like me (it's 3am here!).

I do not have an answer to your original question. Instead, let me ask you one: If reason to save your emails as eml-files is to be able to resend / forward these messages, you are doing extra job for nothing. Why don't you just leave the messages in your Inbox or other mail folders, create as many archive folders you want and need and keep your mails sorted and archived inside Windows Live Mail? Then choose forward when you want to send a message to somebody else?

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Dec 2009   #3
TimStitt

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Hi CarlS,

You could try changing the attributes of all your *.eml files and then seeing if you are able to delete them.
(Remember to close your mail client first :-) )

If they are in the same folder run this from CMD:
ATTRIB -r -s -H /S /D C:\YourFolderPath\YourFolder\*.eml
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Dec 2009   #4
wwpauljd

Windows 7
 
 

hit Shift+Delete
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #5
CarlS

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
I do not have an answer to your original question. Instead, let me ask you one: If reason to save your emails as eml-files is to be able to resend / forward these messages, you are doing extra job for nothing. Why don't you just leave the messages in your Inbox or other mail folders, create as many archive folders you want and need and keep your mails sorted and archived inside Windows Live Mail? Then choose forward when you want to send a message to somebody else?

Kari
Well, I do a bunch of "official" stuff for our homeowners association. I have, for example, 200 requests for changes to landscaping, etc. I store the original request, make a note of it in my log, and then send it on to board members. As each one approves or discusses it, I save the emails in the same folder on my hard drive. I also back them up about once a day to my laptop.

The reason I keep them all that way is in the event of litigation. We had one Owner who built some stuff into our Common Area - with no approvals, no request. I need to be able to prove that we discussed and approved things.

It's also easier to keep them on the hard drive. If I build folders in Windows Live Mail, they have 2 problems. If they are pop accounts, they only appear on the machine where I made them. If they are hotmail or msn accounts - they are all downloaded every time I sign on from anywhere. And it would be a LOT of folders. This way I can zip the old ones and keep them forever in case we have litigation.

NET - a LONG explanation. I would like to do this!

OH, shift delete doesn't do it. I have to alter something in the properties. And I am persuaded that Windows Live Mail is the reason.

Thanks for the potential workaround - and for paying attention! Nice OS this 7. I see there's a forum for 8 already! Gads.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #6
CarlS

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wwpauljd View Post
hit Shift+Delete
Doesn't work at all in my world.
Appreciate the thought.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #7
CarlS

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TimStitt View Post
Hi CarlS,

You could try changing the attributes of all your *.eml files and then seeing if you are able to delete them.
(Remember to close your mail client first :-) )

If they are in the same folder run this from CMD:
ATTRIB -r -s -H /S /D C:\YourFolderPath\YourFolder\*.eml
Yep - if I remove attributes I can delete them.
I'll try the command string - tell me what it does exactly?
thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #8
Kari

 

Carl, I tried to reproduce your issue. I saved some Live Mail emails, both IMAP and POP. I tried all variations: deleting when message was still in Inbox, deleting when message was already deleted in Live Mail, saving to different locations. I have absolutely no problems, I right click and choose Delete and they are gone. Works like any other file.

So, I think it might not be because of Live Mail you have this issue. I have no other solutions to you, only to first try a simple system file scan and repair (open command prompt as an administrator, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter) or system restore to an earlier point.

Weird issue!

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #9
TimStitt

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlS View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TimStitt View Post
Hi CarlS,

You could try changing the attributes of all your *.eml files and then seeing if you are able to delete them.
(Remember to close your mail client first :-) )

If they are in the same folder run this from CMD:
ATTRIB -r -s -H /S /D C:\YourFolderPath\YourFolder\*.eml
Yep - if I remove attributes I can delete them.
I'll try the command string - tell me what it does exactly?
thanks.
The attrib command changes the attributes of a file. the minus sign that you see before r,s, & h removes an attribute (a plus sign would add it). r = Read Only, s = system, h = hidden.

So the command removes these attributes from the file, hopefully allowing you to delete it . The prerequisite is having ownership of the file to change the attributes.

The 'S' switch is for matching files in the same folder. The 'D' switch is for the folders themselves. If you type 'attrib /?' from the command prompt it will give you a more thorough explanation.

Good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #10
TimStitt

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Carl, I tried to reproduce your issue. I saved some Live Mail emails, both IMAP and POP. I tried all variations: deleting when message was still in Inbox, deleting when message was already deleted in Live Mail, saving to different locations. I have absolutely no problems, I right click and choose Delete and they are gone. Works like any other file.

So, I think it might not be because of Live Mail you have this issue. I have no other solutions to you, only to first try a simple system file scan and repair (open command prompt as an administrator, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter) or system restore to an earlier point.

Weird issue!

Kari
FYI - I also couldn't reproduce the issue. It has me curious though!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot delete .eml files




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Are files lost when I choose delete temporary files before burning cd
I am new to burning pictures from my computer to a cd. After successfully burning 2 cd's, on the 3rd attempt, the message exceeds set limit came up. I think I should click delete temporary files, but if I do will the pictures in this file be lost or will they go back to their original location so I...
General Discussion
Delete OS Files but Keep Personal Files
Is there a way to delete all OS files on my old hard drive that I am using as additional storage but keep my personal files? Possibly a windows format? I can transfer the saved data to my main hard drive til I make this happen. Any Thoughts?
General Discussion
Can you delete .chk files
I am just enquiring as to whether you can delete .chk files and what are they?
General Discussion
Still looking at files that I can delete
I wrote before and got lots of good help. I'm trying to delete unnecessary files from my computer. I need to know what is Microsoft Visual C ++ and why do I have so many files? Also, I'm not good at knowing MB, KB, etc. How many bites are a really large file? Thanks
Performance & Maintenance
Delete XP Files, keep Boot Files
Hello all. Here's a screengrab of my partitions: http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5406/partsi.png HDD is the XP partition that came with the computer. HDD7 is the partition on which I installed Windows 7. I only use Windows 7 now, so HDD is just wasting space. Basically, to avoid...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App