Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Bioshock not working. DX11?

02 Nov 2009   #11
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

To be polite, and nice...

Windows 7 and Vista does in fact incorporate at least DX9, 10, and 11. What happens sometimes is that the DX9 files can get corrupted and may in fact be out of date. The fact that you had to update DX9 to get Bioshock running on Windows 7 does not mean that it's not there, it just simply said there was a file missing or corrupt. Some games or programs can/do corrupt DX files, and some files simply need updating. I don't know what caused your case where you had to update your DX9 files to get Bioshock to work, but something happened. As I stated in an earlier post, I didn't have to update my DX9 files to get Bioshock to run under Windows 7, nor have I updated them yet. So...???

Quote:
While Windows 7 is fully compatible with games and hardware that use older versions of DirectX, the new DirectX 11 features are available with a DirectX 11 compatible graphics card and games designed to take advantage of this new technology.

Also, if you read the brief description here Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime and look at system requirements you will see that DX9 is part of Windows 7

Also, even though a game/program says it's installing DX files, it may in fact be simply examining the files to see if you have the latest/correct files installed and thus may not install anything.

Hope this clears things up for you



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Nov 2009   #12
sup3rsprt

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
As I stated in an earlier post, I didn't have to update my DX9 files to get Bioshock to run under Windows 7, nor have I updated them yet. So...???
Earlier, I addressed why that could be the case.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
FYI, I didn't have to update my DX9 files to get the game to run so...
Maybe your computer already has the file d3dx9_33.dll installed.

I'm not sure if Bioshock requires the new d3d9 libraries when in DX10 mode, or whether or not it installs the required libraries during installation. But in any case a simple fix is to run the DirectX update like you said.
It could also be the case that the OP already had the game installed to another partition and didn't reinstall it after he installed Windows 7. In which case the DirectX updates would not have been installed because A) he didn't install them or B) he didn't reinstall the game.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #13
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Nov 2009   #14
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
As I stated in an earlier post, I didn't have to update my DX9 files to get Bioshock to run under Windows 7, nor have I updated them yet. So...???
Earlier, I addressed why that could be the case.
My point to sup3rsprt was that I didn't have to update my files while he did. That was it.

I think we beat this "solved" thread long enough, so i'm out.

Peace.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #15
sup3rsprt

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
As I stated in an earlier post, I didn't have to update my DX9 files to get Bioshock to run under Windows 7, nor have I updated them yet. So...???
Earlier, I addressed why that could be the case.
My point to sup3rsprt was that I didn't have to update my files while he did. That was it.
If you were only trying to make a point then perhaps you shouldn't have put 3 question marks behind it. Because I can surely address your question which is what I attempted to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #16
crimson

Windows 7 Retail
 
 

Demigod is not a DX11 game that runs under in W7 which only has DX11. However, DX11 doesn't seem to be backwards compatible because while certain non-DX11 games run fine (Demigod), it will not run all games. For Bioshock, you have to install DX9 in order to get it to run. DX9 is not preinstalled in W7. Only DX11. These are my findings thus far. Alot of people have run Bioshock fine but that is because Bioshock likely installed DX9 into their system. Thus, making it seem that either DX11 is backward compatible or making it seem like DX9 was preinstalled.

In my circumstance, this is what happened. Only DX11 was installed on my OS. Bioshock would not run. I installed DX9. Bioshock worked fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #17
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post

Earlier, I addressed why that could be the case.
My point to sup3rsprt was that I didn't have to update my files while he did. That was it.
If you were only trying to make a point then perhaps you shouldn't have put 3 question marks behind it. Because I can surely address your question which is what I attempted to do.
Sorry, I meant to say my point was addressed to Crimson. Lighten up dude. LOL.

Peace
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #18
cneuhauser

 
 

Windows 7 doesn't come with DX11 does it??? I thought this was something they were going to add in a patch.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2009   #19
crimson

Windows 7 Retail
 
 

Windows 7 comes standard with DirectX 11. What is unclear is whether or not DX11 is backwards compatible. Also whether W7 has DX9 or DX10 preinstalled.

For people that installed certain games that ran fine on W7, it is possible that those games installed DX9. However, on a clean install of W7, everything remains unclear.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2009   #20
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by crimson View Post
Windows 7 comes standard with DirectX 11. What is unclear is whether or not DX11 is backwards compatible. Also whether W7 has DX9 or DX10 preinstalled.

For people that installed certain games that ran fine on W7, it is possible that those games installed DX9. However, on a clean install of W7, everything remains unclear.
Did you not see this post?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post

Quote:
While Windows 7 is fully compatible with games and hardware that use older versions of DirectX, the new DirectX 11 features are available with a DirectX 11 compatible graphics card and games designed to take advantage of this new technology.

Also, if you read the brief description here Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime and look at system requirements you will see that DX9 is part of Windows 7
Hint...

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer Brief Description

August 2009
The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime provides updates to 9.0c and previous versions of DirectX — the core Windows® technology that drives high-speed multimedia and games on the PC.

Key operative word in the above statement is "update" to 9.0c

More info...

System Requirements
  • Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 2000 Advanced Server; Windows 2000 Professional Edition ; Windows 2000 Server; Windows 2000 Service Pack 2; Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows 7;
Note Windows 7

A little reading would help clear things up
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Bioshock not working. DX11?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
crysis dx11 help
I am trying to play crisis 3 and keep getting a message saying I need a dx11 capable cpu. I am running windows 7 and it shows dx11?
Gaming
Is DX11 the problem?
HI i have a huge problem after playing some old games (neverwinter, sims 2&3) and well sims first of all i never had problems until i bought neverwinter nights 2 platinum and well it diddnt run max but it ran smooth. so i downloaded the newest drivers for my videocard. but instead of helping it...
Gaming
Bioshock finally working
after lots of trial and error, i finally managed to get Bioshock running in 7000 32bit. i had to run the installer in Vista compatibility, otherwise it got confused by DX11. then i actually had to install DX9 from the DVD (!) otherwise i just got a blank screen. finally, i had to run the game in XP...
Gaming
Dx11 gpu
Hi all, I'm considering a new Asus ATI Radeon 5870 1024MB GDDR5 I'm just want to know if my 450W PSU will be big enough to handle it. My current specs are listed below. I don't really want to buy a new PSU but if it needs it I best take the plunge. Cheers.
Hardware & Devices
New DX11 HD5850.....
http://www.techpowerup.com/img/09-08-25/132b.jpg http://www.techpowerup.com/img/09-08-25/132a.jpg source
Graphic Cards
Dx11
http://sendstudio.futuremark.com/sendstudio/temp/images/1/top.jpg http://www.futuremark.com/companyinfo/pressroom/fmlogos/Futuremark_logo_grey_bg.gif?m=t Futuremark newsletter issue 125/July 2009 Dear Futuremark readers, With DirectX 11 and Windows 7 creeping up on us, it looks like...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App