Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: win7 desktop icon problem

19 Aug 2010   #1
anon125

 
 
win7 desktop icon problem

for some reason - only MS know - one of the desktop icons wont show the correct picture.
Photoshop elements 5.
it used to but not now.
i can find a png pic of the icon picture.
how do i get the icon pic back. maybe from that
properties change icon HAS the right pic - but select it and get something like a book page.
thanks
64bit


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Aug 2010   #2
FerchogtX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit Build 7600 / Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
 
 

Try this, works like a charm for me whenever Everest icon goes nuts (not too often BTW)
Icon went missing in Windows 7? Here's a Fix

See ya!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #3
anon125

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FerchogtX View Post
Try this, works like a charm for me whenever Everest icon goes nuts (not too often BTW)
Icon went missing in Windows 7? Here's a Fix

See ya!!!
Thanks
a bit too much keying in dos - mistake prone!
maybe this works How to Rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows Vista and Windows 7 - The Winhelponline Blog

or less keying Icon Cache - Rebuild

Icon Cache - Rebuild
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT
did NOT work on 64bit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Aug 2010   #4
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anon125 View Post
for some reason - only MS know - one of the desktop icons wont show the correct picture.
Photoshop elements 5.
it used to but not now.
i can find a png pic of the icon picture.
how do i get the icon pic back. maybe from that
properties change icon HAS the right pic - but select it and get something like a book page.
thanks
64bit
Save the icon in a folder in your documents, for instance. Then do the right click, properties, change icon, and choose the icon you saved. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #5
anon125

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anon125 View Post
for some reason - only MS know - one of the desktop icons wont show the correct picture.
Photoshop elements 5.
it used to but not now.
i can find a png pic of the icon picture.
how do i get the icon pic back. maybe from that
properties change icon HAS the right pic - but select it and get something like a book page.
thanks
64bit
Save the icon in a folder in your documents, for instance. Then do the right click, properties, change icon, and choose the icon you saved. A Guy
thanks
did not recognise the pic as an icon - wasn't an ico file i guess.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #6
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

i use icofx to turn png into windows icon it will change mac icons into windows icons also.
IcoFX - The Free Icon Editor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #7
anon125

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
i use icofx to turn png into windows icon it will change mac icons into windows icons also.
IcoFX - The Free Icon Editor
have they closed? link did not work.
will the software work in win7 64
thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #8
boohbah

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7600
 
 

works fine with win 7 x64. google it if prob with link . link is fine my end :)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2010   #9
A Guy

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
 
 

Link also worked for me, but here:

IcoFX - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

and yes, works fine on my x64. A Guy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2010   #10
anon125

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah View Post
i use icofx to turn png into windows icon it will change mac icons into windows icons also.
IcoFX - The Free Icon Editor
Support for Vista icon with PNG compression
Create icons for Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP / Vista
does it work in win7
thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 win7 desktop icon problem




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
icon created in xp-mode desktop not appearing in win7 desktop
first of all, thanks for all those who have aided me in getting to my virtual pc xp mode now please, a couple of NEW queries: query 1 I have installed a 16 bit DOS based application in the C: of the virtual XP Mode (it is a DOS based application, so there is no installing...
Virtualization
win7 default show desktop icon resource?
hi, does anyone know where i can find that icon so i can change it even if i need to use reshack
Customization
Desktop icon problem, programs in start menu problem and more...
Hello guys, For some reason my computer have some problem(s) that I don't know where it come from and how to solve it. I got this problem for 3 days and I have tried to fix it but to no avail and i have pretty much lost hope, because I have some important documents for school etc. and videos,...
General Discussion
Does Win7 save desktop icon positioning for different resolutions?
I just got my PC back after 3 1/2 weeks of a nightmare involving the motherboard going bad and taking two processors with it. While troubleshooting/fixing it, the PC was hooked up to a 1024x768 monitor (mine is 1280x960), and so the desktop icons rearranged. Although a small hassle in the...
Customization
how to bring/ create this icon bar at win7 desktop??
hi...! hope all members will be fine..... So dear i have to ask that how i make/bring this ICON bar at desktop.... but i also want my actual icon too, that they also be there at left side... plz check the screen shot... hope it will help u to understand my problem. :cry::cry:
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App