Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: temp folder in c:\users

21 Jun 2011   #41
MacGyvr

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (Technet)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unifex View Post
Well, clearly a fresh install on an empty disk will rid you of this problem.

However, you may be curious as to what's going on here. To this end you need to look into the Security logs in the Event Viewer.

However, after suggesting to look at the logs, I have realized that you need to enable logging access to the folder in question, otherwise you'll see nothing. To do this you must enable Audit Policy in the Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Audit Policy. The point you want to enable is the Audit object access. Since we are looking for something that actually creates the folder, we would look at Success events (i.e. when something successfully accesses the folder). Once the Auditing is enabled, go to your folder in Windows Explorer, right-click and choose Properties-> Security -> Advanced -> Auditing. There you select the user name who's access will be auditing. Choose the appropriate username, reboot, and look in the Security logs in the event Viewer.

A word of warning - these audits may generate loads of log entries. Basically that depends on how often the folder is accessed. I would suggest to try your current username first. If it's not "you" who's accessing the folder, try others, like System or Trusted Installer.

Finally - this does not look like an easy task. You decide whether you want to know the origin of your problem badly enough and whether this is worth your time and effort. After all you may always re-install Windows. That process is rather quick by itself. What's time-consuming is to apply all your personal settings and install your software. How long this may take depends on how you use the machine. However, I would not recommend any sort of automated transfer of settings and personalization - you might end up with the same problem.
Windows Easy Transfer will handle it just fine. I don't get the paranoia. I've used it dozens of times.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jun 2011   #42
theterrier

windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by unifex View Post
Well, clearly a fresh install on an empty disk will rid you of this problem.

However, you may be curious as to what's going on here. To this end you need to look into the Security logs in the Event Viewer.

However, after suggesting to look at the logs, I have realized that you need to enable logging access to the folder in question, otherwise you'll see nothing. To do this you must enable Audit Policy in the Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Audit Policy. The point you want to enable is the Audit object access. Since we are looking for something that actually creates the folder, we would look at Success events (i.e. when something successfully accesses the folder). Once the Auditing is enabled, go to your folder in Windows Explorer, right-click and choose Properties-> Security -> Advanced -> Auditing. There you select the user name who's access will be auditing. Choose the appropriate username, reboot, and look in the Security logs in the event Viewer.

A word of warning - these audits may generate loads of log entries. Basically that depends on how often the folder is accessed. I would suggest to try your current username first. If it's not "you" who's accessing the folder, try others, like System or Trusted Installer.

Finally - this does not look like an easy task. You decide whether you want to know the origin of your problem badly enough and whether this is worth your time and effort. After all you may always re-install Windows. That process is rather quick by itself. What's time-consuming is to apply all your personal settings and install your software. How long this may take depends on how you use the machine. However, I would not recommend any sort of automated transfer of settings and personalization - you might end up with the same problem.
That does seem a bit long winded and tedious and I really can't be a*@#d to do it. It will take time to reinstall progs on a new drive but hey oh it will be worth while.
OK when I copied my c drive (160gb) to a larger drive(500gb) I kept the original I have put this back into my computer booted up and installed all updates. I DO NOT get the TEMP folder in c:users.
It is therefore obvious that when I copied the drive it didn't work correctly so a new install it is then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2011   #43
theterrier

windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Interesting before I reinstall I have just been toying about with windows easy transfer and I get a message saying that I am logged on as a temporary profile restart my computer and try again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jun 2011   #44
theterrier

windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Guys I think I know what the problem is!! Nvidia drivers create a updatusUser folder in the users folder. I got this when I did a clean install and deleted it then the TEMP folder came back. I removed the TEMP folder and restored the updatusUser folder and TEMP didn't return.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2011   #45
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theterrier View Post
Guys I think I know what the problem is!! Nvidia drivers create a updatusUser folder in the users folder. I got this when I did a clean install and deleted it then the TEMP folder came back. I removed the TEMP folder and restored the updatusUser folder and TEMP didn't return.
Phew!! You got there in the end so well done to you.

Thanks for taking the time to post back and let us know.

I've noticed the updatUser folder in my Users folder and have wondered whether I should delete it.......after your experience I think I'll leave it just where it is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2011   #46
theterrier

windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theterrier View Post
Guys I think I know what the problem is!! Nvidia drivers create a updatusUser folder in the users folder. I got this when I did a clean install and deleted it then the TEMP folder came back. I removed the TEMP folder and restored the updatusUser folder and TEMP didn't return.
Phew!! You got there in the end so well done to you.

Thanks for taking the time to post back and let us know.

I've noticed the updatUser folder in my Users folder and have wondered whether I should delete it.......after your experience I think I'll leave it just where it is.
Good idea, for info I have gone onto the old drive uninstalled nvidia drivers then updated with the very latest and not installed the updater and neither of the folder reappeared.
When I click on windows easy transfer it loads up
PHEW thanks every one for your help and patience
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2011   #47
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

You're very welcome.

As a matter of interest, I've recently updated to the 275.53 NVIDIA driver, chose the clean install option, which automatically deletes the old driver first, and I've had no problems at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2011   #48
JaeR0C

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Sorry I don't mean to bump this thread but am actually having the same problem. I've read all the post made and am confused at the last three post about how the issue was actually resolved.

Again I am sorry for bumping this old thread.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2011   #49
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Please start a new thread as this one has been resolved so you're not likely to get a response any time soon.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2011   #50
CyberZeus

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 clean install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theterrier View Post
Guys I think I know what the problem is!! Nvidia drivers create a updatusUser folder in the users folder. I got this when I did a clean install and deleted it then the TEMP folder came back. I removed the TEMP folder and restored the updatusUser folder and TEMP didn't return.
Phew!! You got there in the end so well done to you.

Thanks for taking the time to post back and let us know.

I've noticed the updatUser folder in my Users folder and have wondered whether I should delete it.......after your experience I think I'll leave it just where it is.
So do I!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 temp folder in c:\users




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
What is C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\Temp ? :)
While i was exploring windows explorer, i came up to this folder C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\Temp What does it contain? What are tmp, old, mtx, and text document files? Is it ok to delete this folder? (I don't know what came up to my mind, i just feel i want to delete some stuff on my computer...
General Discussion
C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD4FC.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
please can someone help me.i am desperate i want to run some Cd's but this error keeps cropping up C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Local\Temp\WER16FC.tmp.mdmp C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD4FC.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml Please please can anyone tell me how to fix it in an easy terms as...
Media Center
C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD4FC.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
please can someone help me.i am desperate i want to run some Cd's but this error keeps cropping up C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Local\Temp\WER16FC.tmp.mdmp C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD4FC.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml Please please can anyone tell me how to fix it in an easy...
General Discussion
Temp Profiles being created on Domain Users Accounts Win 7
Hello, We are currently in the process of updating the Windows machines at the university that I work up to Windows 7 from XP. Recently we have been noticing issues when students log into the machines where it might randomly login to a TEMP profile over the Domain Profile. Any ideas on why...
Network & Sharing
How do I get rid of C:\Users\TEMP
Today I removed/installed new Nvidia drivers for my GTX 480. Now I have a new folder in my Users folder called TEMP (C:\Users\Temp). I have deleted this twice and Win7 just created a new one. I have installed new drivers before using the exact same procedure that I did today and have not had...
General Discussion
Are my drivers in my temp folder, or my %temp% folder?
Hi, my computer is old and has small hard drive space, and someone recommended I delete my %temp%, my temp, and my prefetch folder, but I was just wondering, since I had to do a whole lot of searching ,and downloading of drivers, (just to make my computer compatible with windows 7), where all my...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:06.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App