Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Network password/credentials not remembered

18 Dec 2009   #1
rjay

Windows 7 Pro
 
 
Network password/credentials not remembered

I have a couple of drives mapped as Network drives to my W7 Pro laptop. One of the network drives is on an XP machine the other is a NAS.

Everytime I access the XP drive I am asked for username & password even though everytime I enter it I tick the "Remember my credentials" box.

Is there something else I need to do in order for W7 to stop prompting me ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Dec 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rjay View Post
I have a couple of drives mapped as Network drives to my W7 Pro laptop. One of the network drives is on an XP machine the other is a NAS.

Everytime I access the XP drive I am asked for username & password even though everytime I enter it I tick the "Remember my credentials" box.

Is there something else I need to do in order for W7 to stop prompting me ?
Hi and welcome


Might be something in gpedit preventing it. Were the shares created in another OS, IE vista?

Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #3
rjay

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Hi Ken,

No it's a clean install of W7 ...

What is gpedit ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Dec 2009   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rjay View Post
Hi Ken,

No it's a clean install of W7 ...

What is gpedit ?

Sorry group policy editor. If it was a clean install there should be nothing to prevent it as the default. Lets see It just will not save the settings correct? where are you tring to save them?

Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #5
patwhatsthat

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

rjay:
I see Ken is temporarily offline, (Sorry Ken don't mean to jump your thread) gpedit is a means to edit local group policies and gpedit.msc is the management console inwhich you can do that. On another note my wife has an XP machine upstairs and I was constantly having to type in a username and password (like you) when accessing a shared folder. What I did, and you can try this is simply go upstairs and add my username and password that I am using on my Win7 machine to the XP machine and the problem went away. You could try this and see if it helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #6
rjay

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

I move my laptop between home & office daily. It's in standby mode rather than restarting each time. Every day when I get into the office when I first try to access the mapped drive a popup box asks me to input the username and password and has a 'remember credentials' tickbox which is always unchecked so I always check it.

The name/pwd work fine - it's just that I have to input it every time.

R.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rjay View Post
Hi Ken,

No it's a clean install of W7 ...

What is gpedit ?

Sorry group policy editor. If it was a clean install there should be nothing to prevent it as the default. Lets see It just will not save the settings correct? where are you tring to save them?

Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #7
rjay

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

As it happens, it's the same username/pwd on both machines already.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by patwhatsthat View Post
rjay:
I see Ken is temporarily offline, (Sorry Ken don't mean to jump your thread) gpedit is a means to edit local group policies and gpedit.msc is the management console inwhich you can do that. On another note my wife has an XP machine upstairs and I was constantly having to type in a username and password (like you) when accessing a shared folder. What I did, and you can try this is simply go upstairs and add my username and password that I am using on my Win7 machine to the XP machine and the problem went away. You could try this and see if it helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Apr 2010   #8
simonmason

Windows 7 Professional and Home
 
 

I just figured this out for myself - go to Network Credentials in Control Panel - search for Credentials. You will see an entry for each remote system you are trying to access. In my case the persistence is always set to login session. I deleted these entries and re-entered all of the information manually. These new entries show persistence as Enterprise and these appear (fingers crossed) to remain without having to re-type userid and password.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2012   #9
andrew789

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Still can't do it :(

I filled in the network credentials, and it worked. But, after I restarted my PC it changed to HomeGroupUser$. I can change it again, but it's always resetting Help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2012   #10
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rjay View Post
I have a couple of drives mapped as Network drives to my W7 Pro laptop. One of the network drives is on an XP machine the other is a NAS.

Everytime I access the XP drive I am asked for username & password even though everytime I enter it I tick the "Remember my credentials" box.

Is there something else I need to do in order for W7 to stop prompting me ?
This problem relates to how the default group policies for SMB shares are set up when Windows 7 is installed. The default value is that the relevant policy is left unset, and that creates this problem when you wish to automatically log in to some SMB shares. This of course is how OS X drives are seen by Windows when they are set as mapped drives within your system, and that is why this problem seems to occur.

To edit the Group Policies, we need to run the Group Policy Editor program. Press the Windows and R keys together to bring up the Run Program dialog, and then, in
the Run dialog, enter gpedit.msc and press the OK button.

In the Group Policies Editor, open each of the following items in turn:
Computer Configuration
Windows Settings
Security SettingsLocal Policies
Security Options

Now, right-click on the “Network security: LAN Manager authentication level” policy item, and then, from the context (pop-up) menu, select “Properties”.

Locate and select “Send LM & NTLM – user NTLMv2 session security if negotiated”.

Now click the OK button, and then finally, you may close the Group Policies Editor window.

The problem should now be fixed, and your mapped drive logins should now be persistent through multiple reboots of the system.

Reboot all machines after making the adjustment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Network password/credentials not remembered




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
VPN connection repeatedly asks for password credentials
I run an office network domain environment with Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 7 x64 workstation clients throughout, using Active Directory. I have one user who sometimes connects from home, through a VPN connection, on his home PC running Windows 7. He said it used to work fine up until...
Network & Sharing
Enter Network Credentials: What username/password do I enter?
I regularly use my laptop over the wireless network to access folders on my desktop machine - both are Win 7. Today I bought a new Win 10 laptop and when I try accessing the desktop machine, the new Win 10 laptop asks for UN/PW via the dialog "Enter network credentials." I have no idea what...
Network & Sharing
Enter Network Credentials...what username/password do I enter??
I created a shared folder on a Windows 7 laptop on my network and I'm trying to connect to it with this Windows 10 laptop. I am being prompted to enter a un/pw and have no idea what to enter. The account on the Windows 7 laptop doesn't have a password.
Network & Sharing
Mapped Drive Password not remembered
When I mount a drive from my OSX box from Win7 the password is never remembered Explorer -> Tools -> Map Network drive Pick drive letter Folder: \\ip.to.osx\foldername Reconnect at logon checked Connect using different credentials checked But when I reboot or come back from sleep it...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:41.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App