A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 3 below. NOTE:This sets the shutdown "Wait to kill" time to 2 seconds (2000 milliseconds). If you want shutdown to wait for a different amount of seconds, then do the manual method below.
2. To Restore the Default Shut Down Time
A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 3 below. NOTE:The default shutdown "wait to kill" time is 12 seconds (12000 milliseconds).
3.Save, and save the .reg file to your desktop.
4. Double click on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.
5. Click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK when prompted.
6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.
Manually in Registry Editor
1. Open the Start Menu.
2. In the search box, type regedit, and press Enter. (See screenshot below)
4. In the right pane, right click on WaitToKillServiceTimeout, and click on Modify. (See screenshot above)
5. Type in a number between 2000-20000 (2-20 seconds), and click on OK. (See screenshot below) NOTE:The default time is 12000. I use 2000 (2 seconds) and have not had any problems. Your experience may vary.
6. Close regedit. NOTE:If you have problems with programs from your computer shutting down to quickly, then repeat the above steps and increase the time (step 5) a bit.
System Manufacturer/Model Number My Home PC OS Windows 7 Beta CPU E2180 @ 3,00 Ghz Motherboard MSI P35 Neo2 FIR Memory 2x2 GB Mushkin Redline @ 1000 Mhz Graphics Card Sapphire ATi Radeon HD3870 Sound Card Creative X-FI Xtreme Music Monitor(s) Displays Samsung 206BW Screen Resolution 1680x1050
Kudos, nice tutorial. While playing around with re-boot times, I found the single-most biggest factor was disabling the pagefile.sys and the hiberfil.sys made the biggest impact. This tutorial will, no doubt, improve on even that.
System Manufacturer/Model Number Custom Build/Mod OS Windows 7 Home Premium x64 7600 [MSDN] CPU Intel QX9650 Extreme 5.0 GHz Motherboard ASUS Rampage Extreme Rev2 Memory 8GB (4x2) Corsair Dominator DDR3 Graphics Card 2x Sapphire Radeon HD4870X2 (QuadFire) Sound Card SupremeFX X-Fi Monitor(s) Displays Dell 2408WFP 24" Panel Screen Resolution 1920x1200
Keyboard Logitech Mouse Logitech PSU Corsair HX1000 Case CoolerMaster - Cosmos S Cooling Custom Liquid - 320mm rad w/ 3x 80mm fans, CPU/NB/SB Blocks Hard Drives 4x WD Caviar Black 640GB (2TB+ Total)
MegaRAID SATA 300-8X Controller
2x RiDATA SataII SSD 64GB (Raid10)
1x LG Blu-ray read/write
1x Phillips LightScribe DVD read/write Internet Speed Fractional T1 - Shared Other Info OC'd to 5.0GHz @ 50c under full load
System Manufacturer/Model Number Home made OS Windows 7 RC CPU Intel E2160 O/C @ 2500 Ghz Motherboard AsRock 4 Core Dual VSTA Memory 2 x 1024 DDR2 Graphics Card MSI Geforce 7600GS AGP Monitor(s) Displays Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW Screen Resolution 1680 x 1050
Cooling Intel CPU stock Internet Speed 946 Ko/s down / 103 Ko/s up