Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Do you HATE dial-up?

View Poll Results: Do you HATE dial-up?
Yes, I HATE it! 48 82.76%
No, I think its okay. 5 8.62%
I don't really care. 5 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

22 Aug 2009   #21
smarteyeball

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
I can only smile at the OPs question; 26.4 kbps dial-up connection.
I can only grimace and empathize at the far from fond memories that dial-up evokes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2009   #22
holo88

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

yeah dial up sucks. but it's good when there is nothing else. the last place i lived, had no internet. i couldnt get internet due to the residence haveing the same adress as the the company i worked for (that sucked in itself). so what i did, was .. hack my cell phone (prepaid MoTo RAZR) to use as a modem, plug it in, and then piggyback back off a server in NYC. it was slow, but it worked for checking mail, and foruming. as long as i never deleted my temp files, pages wouldnt take that long to load, after a while.

the best part was, with the plan on my phone, i had free nights and weekends. so i could make a 36 hour 'call' @ 9:01pm on a friday, and it didnt cost a thing. idk if it was legal or not, but i lvl.^ my 1337 h4xor skilz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2009   #23
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by holo88 View Post
yeah dial up sucks. but it's good when there is nothing else. the last place i lived, had no internet. i couldnt get internet due to the residence haveing the same adress as the the company i worked for (that sucked in itself). so what i did, was .. hack my cell phone (prepaid MoTo RAZR) to use as a modem, plug it in, and then piggyback back off a server in NYC. it was slow, but it worked for checking mail, and foruming. as long as i never deleted my temp files, pages wouldnt take that long to load, after a while.

the best part was, with the plan on my phone, i had free nights and weekends. so i could make a 36 hour 'call' @ 9:01pm on a friday, and it didnt cost a thing. idk if it was legal or not, but i lvl.^ my 1337 h4xor skilz
I look at it this way, theres always a legal way to do something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Aug 2009   #24
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

i remember the good old days - windows ME and dial-up! (celeron 300 and 32 megs ram iirc)

oh what sweet nostalgic joy...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2009   #25
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

I can not remember when was the last time I used dial-up. Today I have a 50/10 Mbs VDSL line. We have two IPTV systems (German and Finnish TV), both using 10/1 Mbs leaving 30/8 Mbs for surfing and downloading. Had some problems to assign certain bandwidhts for IPTV boxes, but Netlimiter fixed all the problems. It's enough, I don't need any faster.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2009   #26
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

I love dial-up it gives me less time to have to do work around the house.

Kari

You're a dog. may your ISp cap you at 55Kb
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2009   #27
holo88

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

i remember when my friend discovered you can "dial out" on his computer.... we used it to order pizza, on bass phone (a phone tapped to a bass guitar, and hardwired to his pc, another one of my genius inventions)

in a way it made life more interesting. all the neat things that work with a dial tone. you'd be surprised what would work
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2009   #28
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
i remember the good old days - windows ME and dial-up! (celeron 300 and 32 megs ram iirc)

oh what sweet nostalgic joy...
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
I can not remember when was the last time I used dial-up. Today I have a 50/10 Mbs VDSL line. We have two IPTV systems (German and Finnish TV), both using 10/1 Mbs leaving 30/8 Mbs for surfing and downloading. Had some problems to assign certain bandwidhts for IPTV boxes, but Netlimiter fixed all the problems. It's enough, I don't need any faster.

Kari
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by holo88 View Post
i remember when my friend discovered you can "dial out" on his computer.... we used it to order pizza, on bass phone (a phone tapped to a bass guitar, and hardwired to his pc, another one of my genius inventions)

in a way it made life more interesting. all the neat things that work with a dial tone. you'd be surprised what would work
Not even going to comment lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2009   #29
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

you used a bass pickup as a phone mic or speaker?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2009   #30
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Dial-up was all I could get in my neck of the 'woods'. I had it at 52kbs for 9 years ...

last year I was able to get Broadband, its top speed is about 256 Mbps, but I rarely see that
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dial Up
Hi, i'm Using internet as a dial up connection with nokia pc suite's One Touch Access(OTA), through nokia usb modem(USB cable). Mobile Specs: Nokia Asha 305(2.5G) ISP:Airtel Iam getting very low speed of 10-20 Kbps, Help me suggest surfing internet to maximum speed.....:sleepy:
Network & Sharing
7, I Hate!
Hey guys, I just came from XP to 7 Ultimate 64Bit to be able to utilize my 6GB of RAM. As of now, 7 is making me made nuts as there are a few things that drive to the point where I feel like I'm using a Mac because it simply just does not make any sense! First thing I realized, I can't view...
General Discussion
Getting Max from a dial-up connection
I've a dial-up connection ie mobile phone<<-+->>laptop & max speed 100 kbps....i know thats NOT A GREAT SPEED but guys from India will agree thats the max speed (350 kbps) offered by most service provider under the name of BROADBAND.... so folks i want to know how can i get maximum out of any...
Network & Sharing
Fax/Dial-up modem
Anyone set up a fax/dial up modem to be used only in a virtual machine and not in the host machine? How can i go about this? Im aware that the virtual machine cannot communicate directly with hardware.. Atleast to my knowledge.
Virtualization
something i hate
:mad: i was perusing the forum just looking for some thread topics that might interest me. i came across one where the op was asking for suggestions for a product (trying to leave things vague to protect identities). anyway, people chimed in and gave their input. pretty much after each input from...
Chillout Room
Dial-Up
Hi We have moved to NZ for a while We only have Dial-Up where we are Does anyone know of any tricks to try and get Telecom to give us ADSL Or know anyone in the Business Is it Possible to get ADSL from oversea's?? We have a Fibre Optic Cabinet only 100 Metres away But our Exchange could be...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App