Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing GTA IV on windows 7..what do I need to know?

06 Oct 2010   #1
CombOver Carl

Windows 7, Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Installing GTA IV on windows 7..what do I need to know?

I tried installing this game once and it ran in super low motion. I never received an error mesage or anything. I uninstalled it and revoked the activation from Rockstar so I could reinstall it.
Can someone help me install this so that it works properly? I will need step by step instructions because I am a major novice when it comes to these things.
Also, I heard I may need to update it once I install it? is that true? If so, how do I do that?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
SS


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Oct 2010   #2
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Have you updated your DirectX files???

Quote:
5 - Update your Direct X files - Contrary to popular belief, just because Windows 7 is DX11 capable doesn’t mean it has the latest DX9 files!!! Most game issues can be fixed by simply updating the DX files.
Tips on Troubleshooting Game Issues
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #3
CombOver Carl

Windows 7, Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Have you updated your DirectX files???

Quote:
5 - Update your Direct X files - Contrary to popular belief, just because Windows 7 is DX11 capable doesn’t mean it has the latest DX9 files!!! Most game issues can be fixed by simply updating the DX files.
Tips on Troubleshooting Game Issues
I installed Battlefield bad company 2 and it runs fine. Would it have updated direct x?
How do I find out what version of direct x I have installed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Oct 2010   #4
Gornot

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

There is a patch which boosts up graphics for the PC port. Without it the game is practically unplayable. I am not sure anymore which is the exact version, but I recommend that you download then install this one I found on Softpedia:

Download Grand Theft Auto IV Patch 1.0.7.0 - This is the latest patch for the PC version of GTA IV - Softpedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #5
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CombOver Carl View Post
I installed Battlefield bad company 2 and it runs fine. Would it have updated direct x?

How do I find out what version of direct x I have installed?
Do yourself a favor and just update your DirectX files. Either one of these should work. The first one scans your system and installs what's needed. The second one is the entire package that needs to be extracted and downloaded.

Web Installer - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

And it's easier to just update as opposed to deciphering what files are updated.

Let me know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #6
CombOver Carl

Windows 7, Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CombOver Carl View Post
I installed Battlefield bad company 2 and it runs fine. Would it have updated direct x?

How do I find out what version of direct x I have installed?
Do yourself a favor and just update your DirectX files. Either one of these should work. The first one scans your system and installs what's needed. The second one is the entire package that needs to be extracted and downloaded.

Web Installer - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

And it's easier to just update as opposed to deciphering what files are updated.

Let me know.
Now in what order do I do these things? Install the game then the patch then update direct x?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #7
Gornot

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

It shouldn't matter much, as long as you don't run the game before updating DirectX.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #8
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CombOver Carl View Post
Now in what order do I do these things? Install the game then the patch then update direct x?
Install...

1- DirectX
2- Game
3- Patch

No, the world doesn't end if you launch the game without installing either the patch or updating DirectX first
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Oct 2010   #9
CombOver Carl

Windows 7, Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CombOver Carl View Post
Now in what order do I do these things? Install the game then the patch then update direct x?
Install...

1- DirectX
2- Game
3- Patch

No, the world doesn't end if you launch the game without installing either the patch or updating DirectX first
Thanks guys! I will try this and be back if I have more problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #10
CombOver Carl

Windows 7, Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gornot View Post
It shouldn't matter much, as long as you don't run the game before updating DirectX.
O.k. I checked my pc and I have Direct X 11 installed. Should I go ahead and install the game again?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing GTA IV on windows 7..what do I need to know?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Updates Not Installing : Error Unknown (Sits on Installing)
Hi, To give you some back story, I built my computer the end of August 2012. Ran Smoothly. I decided to get a 60 gig SSD to be the partition that stored Windows. I didnt have much stored on the Main HD so I deleted my original 2TB HD and tried installing on the SSD... found that the SSD was bad...
Windows Updates & Activation
Error installing dual boot windows 8 with windows 7
So, yesterday i tried to install windows 8 in dual boot with my existing windows 7.. Unfortunately the installation somehow failed.. Here is the detail.. I tried to install windows 8 in my laptop, HP envy 4.. First of all, here is my disk management screenshot before i installed the windows 8.....
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 hangs on 'Starting Windows' screen after installing updates
Hi, when windows updates, it then reboots, and just hangs on the 'starting windows' screen.. only after it updates, works fine before. I've re-installed it many times, but get the same result. this never used to happen until i did this fresh installation today. now it happens every...
Installation & Setup
Installing Updates and Installing features part of windows setup menu
How do I installing something during the Windows Setup Menu's Installing features and Installing updates? John:D:thumbsup::what:
Installation & Setup
Installing dual-boot windows xp on windows 7 issues
Last week i try to instal a dual-boot system windows xp on windows 7 installed ,i couldn't shrink the disk c: from manage (it said something about defragmentation, i have 2 disk drives with no partitions ,the disk c: it has 74.5 with 40 GB free) to create a new partition with 20 GB ,i know...
Installation & Setup
Avg 9 is not installing after installing windows xp
:cry: AVG 9 IS NOT INSTALLING AFTER INSTALLING :orb: WINDOWS XP I HAVE INCLUDED THE REPORT WHAT IT SAYS.:cry: i have installed from that setup previously
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App