Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Mouse cursor stuck in one spot.

15 May 2014   #1
kyleh

Windows 7 32bit
 
 
Mouse cursor stuck in one spot.

Hello,

Strange issue I have run into here. The cursor is stuck in one spot and still moves a limited amount when I move the mouse. I know how I can fix this by uninstalling the drivers then re installing, but what I'm looking for is the root cause. This is a teachers computer and is the same build as on every other teachers computer in our domain. This is the only user experiencing this issue. I have even provided a new machine to see if that would solve the problem but of course it did not. I find it hard to believe this is a profile issue. Thoughts?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogaaSgqFeiQ


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 May 2014   #2
jeepmann4x4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Have you tried another Mouse? I mean if you "provided a new machine" the only things left are the Mouse and User Profile...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2014   #3
kyleh

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

Yes sir! First thing I tried was the mouse on a different workstation and it in fact worked. I change the mouse about three times before imaging a new workstation for the user.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 May 2014   #4
The Howling Wolves

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Kyleh,
Is it a wireless mouse and if so you may need to change the battery then reboot.
I have run across this several times on my desktop and laptop where the mouse freeze's.
Even did a reboot and wiggled the mouse during the reboot time.
Both ways worked for me.
THW
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2014   #5
kyleh

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

I've only used wired mice. Unfortunatly a reboot doesn't help. When I open device manager and expand the mouse it shows 6 different inputs. But if you expand keyboard there is only one. So with that I started removing the drivers for each mouse then low and behold when it's only showing one it starts working agian. I've never seen anything like this before lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2014   #6
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

Are you saying the problem is solved, or that after you delete the extra drivers they all just come back?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2014   #7
The Howling Wolves

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kyleh View Post
I've only used wired mice. Unfortunatly a reboot doesn't help. When I open device manager and expand the mouse it shows 6 different inputs. But if you expand keyboard there is only one. So with that I started removing the drivers for each mouse then low and behold when it's only showing one it starts working agian. I've never seen anything like this before lol.


If your mouse is USB connected try re-booting and remove the USB connected mouse. Turn off computer
then turn your computer back on and once it is running plug in the USB mouse and let your system find the mouse.
It might be a bad USB slot.

I paid about $15-20 for a small wireless mouse for my laptop as I don't like the pad to move around.
THW
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2014   #8
kyleh

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen View Post
Are you saying the problem is solved, or that after you delete the extra drivers they all just come back?
That solves the problem temporarily, but indeed they do all come back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2014   #9
kyleh

Windows 7 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by The Howling Wolves View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kyleh View Post
I've only used wired mice. Unfortunatly a reboot doesn't help. When I open device manager and expand the mouse it shows 6 different inputs. But if you expand keyboard there is only one. So with that I started removing the drivers for each mouse then low and behold when it's only showing one it starts working agian. I've never seen anything like this before lol.


If your mouse is USB connected try re-booting and remove the USB connected mouse. Turn off computer
then turn your computer back on and once it is running plug in the USB mouse and let your system find the mouse.
It might be a bad USB slot.

I paid about $15-20 for a small wireless mouse for my laptop as I don't like the pad to move around.
THW

I have tested all usb slots with the keyboard. All slots are functional. And the fact that this happened on her previous machine and now this machine only leaves a few possibilities. Something in the users profile, something that the user is doing. I asked what she is doing when this occurs and the answer is it just happens at random times.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2014   #10
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1
 
 

What is the brand of mouse?
Have you tried using a different mouse on the problem machine?
It sounds like the mouse is disconnecting and reconnecting as if it were a new piece of hardware, and the driver is automatically installing. Which should not happen, but could be if it were defective. But if it does the same thing using a different mouse than it would be something in the PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Mouse cursor stuck in one spot.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Laptop Mouse Cursor Won't Move, MousePAD cursor does
1. Optical USB mouse won't move the cursor. 2. Mouse buttons function properly 3. Bought a new similar mouse, same problem, ruling out damaged mouse likelihood. 4. Have tried multiple USB slots. Have tried rebooting. Have tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting. 5. Saw somewhere to...
Hardware & Devices
Cursor stuck at startup, HP tower, USB mouse.
After unplugging mouse for cable adjustment, turning back computer on , cursor stuck in the middle of the screen. Tried different mouse same thing, cursor stuck. Please help.
General Discussion
Cursor stuck at startup . HP tower, USB mouse.
After unplugging mouse for cable adjustment, turning back computer on , cursor stuck in the middle of the screen. Tried different mose same thing, cursor stuck. Please help.
Software
Black screen stuck after booting with mouse cursor
Hi, After booting Window 7 stuck on black with mouse cursor. While booting window 7 logo appears. I try to some keyboard key like Ctrl+Alt+Del & Ctrl+Shift+Esc which is not working in black screen. But whenever I press Shift ket 5 times Sticky keys window pop up. I try 1-Boot in...
General Discussion
Mouse cursor always stuck at screen everyday without giving warnings.
Good morning everyone! Could someone please tell me why are my mouse cursor always stop responding (stuck) at the screen everyday? Besides that, I realized that the red light at the below of the mouse turn off, blinking and turn on. Apart from that, I updated HID-compliant mouse driver and...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App