Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 10 Windows speed tips that DON'T work.

28 Apr 2010   #1
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 
10 Windows speed tips that DON'T work.

Quote:
Tweaks that do nothing, or could even slow your PC down.




Many speedup tools include the "unload DLLs" tweak - but it hasn't done anything useful for years


If your PC seems to have slowed down recently, then there's plenty of help to be found online.

A few minutes at Google will turn up hundreds of speed-up guides and tweaking tools, each promising that they can revitalise your system.

And that would be fine, if it wasn't for the fact that many of their tweaks are obsolete, some are urban myths and have never worked, and a few will even cut your performance.

Identifying the dubious tips can be difficult, though, so we've got you off to a head start by listing our top 10.

Despite some of them not doing anything since Windows 98, and others being utterly useless on all versions of Windows, most have regularly appeared in speed-up guides and tools across the web. But, as you'll see, they're all best avoided, so you can focus your attention on the speed-up tweaks that actually deliver.
More......
10 Windows speed tips that don't work | News | TechRadar UK


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Apr 2010   #2
manhunter2826

Windows XP - Now Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).
 
 

Interesting read -- and I simply think Windows 7 needs very little tweaking, out of the box IMO . Thanks JMH.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #3
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Breaking the Myth!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Apr 2010   #4
Desslok

Windows 7
 
 

Some of those tweaks even on XP wouldn't do anything if you had a clean install. On systems that were jacked up, some of them would help a little in some cases, but they were really bandaging the problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #5
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Quote:
Tweaks that do nothing, or could even slow your PC down.




Many speedup tools include the "unload DLLs" tweak - but it hasn't done anything useful for years


If your PC seems to have slowed down recently, then there's plenty of help to be found online.

A few minutes at Google will turn up hundreds of speed-up guides and tweaking tools, each promising that they can revitalise your system.

And that would be fine, if it wasn't for the fact that many of their tweaks are obsolete, some are urban myths and have never worked, and a few will even cut your performance.

Identifying the dubious tips can be difficult, though, so we've got you off to a head start by listing our top 10.

Despite some of them not doing anything since Windows 98, and others being utterly useless on all versions of Windows, most have regularly appeared in speed-up guides and tools across the web. But, as you'll see, they're all best avoided, so you can focus your attention on the speed-up tweaks that actually deliver.
More......
10 Windows speed tips that don't work | News | TechRadar UK
Good post! Those that really need this info, unfortunately, will probably never read it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by manhunter2826 View Post
Interesting read -- and I simply think Windows 7 needs very little tweaking, out of the box IMO . Thanks JMH.
I agree 100%.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Breaking the Myth!
Unfortunately, the myths persist.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Desslok View Post
Some of those tweaks even on XP wouldn't do anything if you had a clean install. On systems that were jacked up, some of them would help a little in some cases, but they were really bandaging the problems.
Exactly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #6
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Before I found Vista and Seven Forums,
I tried one or two of those. Was not impressed and usually ended up with a clean install shortly afterward. Lesson learned. As well as almost everything I now know about computers. Good Post Jan.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #7
HellionDarklord

Window 7 Home Premium Dual Boot Ubuntu Linux
 
 

oh, but there are things that will speed stuff up.
(will do a big post later)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #8
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HellionDarklord View Post
oh, but there are things that will speed stuff up.
(will do a big post later)
There is no tweaks or settings in Windows that will speed things up. Period. Modifying the default, out of the box setup of Windows with not improve performance. Period.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #9
Dinesh

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

The only thing that will speed up your computer is more RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #10
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HellionDarklord View Post
oh, but there are things that will speed stuff up.
(will do a big post later)
We do have tutorial on speeding up Win 7. It is basically cutting out the bells, whistles and glitter. I agree with logicearth; but I am looking forward to reading what you post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 10 Windows speed tips that DON'T work.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Would anybody like to work with me to help me speed up my PC?
I have a lot of time on my hands. When I boot my computer up, it takes about 5 or so mins until everything finally loads. I'd really like for someone to just help me go through my computer and really speed it up. I have teamviewer and a hard wired connection. If you're game, let me know....
Performance & Maintenance
Need some tips for my Windows 7
I need some special tips to keep my Windows 7 i5 machine work faster please get some bullet points
Performance & Maintenance
Slow upload speed with 1 PC, others work fine
Got 50/10 internet today but when I run speedtest with my desktop PC results are following: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2156887664.png I only get about 0.6 Mbps upload with this device but with my laptop (connected it to same cable than my PC) and with my phone (wifi) I get stable 10...
Network & Sharing
Not work "Speed bit video accelerator. Please help!
Hello! I installed "Speed bit video accelerator" in my PC but it doesn't accelerator you-tube and other mention video web sites. Why is that? My internet security software not block it! :cry::cry::p
General Discussion
do internet speed accelerators realy work?
do internet speed accelerators really work? applications like full speed internet booster speed connect internet accelerator internet download managers DAP MDM i don't see any difference in my DL speed when im using these apps.
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App