If you moved the taskbar to another screen location (left or right) and you do not like how the Start button (orb) is now at the top of the taskbar, then you can use the free program Start Killer to remove the default Start button (orb). Afterwards, you can place the Start Menu.exe file in a new folder somewhere, unlock the taskbar, pin the new folder to the taskbar as a toolbar, right click on the dotted lines to the left of the new toolbar and uncheck Show Text and Show Titile, click on View and Large Icons, then drag this new Start button toolbar where you like on the taskbar and lock the taskbar.
1. To download the Start Menu program, click on either one of the icons below for the one that you would like to be used for the Start Menu.exe file. NOTE: If you would prefer a different icon than these, then just post a reply with the ICO or PNG you want attached below. If the other icon is still being displayed after using another one, then rebuilding the icon cache will fix it.
2. Click on Save, and save the .zip file to the desktop.
3. Open the .zip file and extract the Start Menu.exe file to the desktop.
4. If you have not already, be sure to turn on UAC to at least the default level. It needs to be turned on to be able to unblock this shortcut to allow it to work.
5. Right click on the Start Menu.exe file, and click on Properties, General tab, and on the Unblock button. (see screenshot below) NOTE:If you do not have a Unblock button under the General tab, then the file is already unblocked and you can continue on to step 5.
6. Copy the Start Menu.exe file into any user account on the computer, that would like to open the Start Menu with it, and move it to where you like for easy use.
The option to "Unblock" never appeared, so I did not perform it. Does "unblock" refer to DEP, or to what else? After being started, startmenu.exe is visible in Process Explorer, but vanishes about 5-10 sec later. Other exe files can be executed as they should.There is no virus protection running except Microsoft Essentials.
Unblock in the EXE file's right click properties page is part of UAC. The exe would only appear briefly since it is only runing briefly to act just like you had pressed the CTRL+ESC keys to open the Start Menu. It does not continue to run afterwards.
If you manually press CTRL+ESC on your keyboard, does it open the Start Menu for you?
As a test, turn on UAC, restart the computer, and see if it works for you then.
I'm thinking that may be it since you did not have a option to "Unblock" the EXE since you had UAC off. In turn preventing it from running.
Got it working ... Not sure what happen even turning on UAC didn't make any difference finally opened the Start Menu.exe with Restorator then did a save as then tired it work its a mystery not sure how !! I guess you created it .. Good work !!