Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Stability Question

06 Sep 2010   #1
jalebi

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 
Stability Question

I've been having lots of problems with stability in Windows 7 (Ultimate and Professional). Whether it's audio drivers, memory issues, or graphics problems, Windows 7 is not very stable for me.

I know this is a Windows 7 forums so I do expect some bias, but what OS would you recommend for me that is the most stable and would be able to play new games? I was considering XP 64bit but I read the support for that is terrible. Now I'm considering a 32 bit OS if it would provide more stability but I don't want my 4gb of RAM to go to waste. What do you think?

CPU: AMD Athlon II x3 440 3.00ghz
RAM: 4gb 1333mhz DDR3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD4850


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Sep 2010   #2
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Why do you think the OS is the cause for instability? If so, wouldn't all of us have stability issues? A more rational line of thinking would be to want to figure out what piece of hardware or installed driver is causing the issue. You can accuse me of bias if you'd like, but I'd say that about any OS.

To start, have you tested your memory and your hard drive? Do you have the proper chipset drivers installed? Are you overclocking at all? How are your system temps?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #3
Skulblaka

Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
 
 

I don't understand, how would 4GB of RAM go to waste using a 32-bit OS?

I would advice using Windows 32-bit if 64-bit isn't stable on your current system specification.

Other OS's do not support a wide variety of games as Windows would.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Sep 2010   #4
jalebi

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Why do you think the OS is the cause for instability? If so, wouldn't all of us have stability issues? A more rational line of thinking would be to want to figure out what piece of hardware or installed driver is causing the issue. You can accuse me of bias if you'd like, but I'd say that about any OS.

To start, have you tested your memory and your hard drive? Do you have the proper chipset drivers installed? Are you overclocking at all? How are your system temps?
Temps are very low (32C for the GPU and CPU) and I don't overclock. The newest chipset, graphics and other drivers are installed but they don't seem to work perfectly and that is the real issue - maybe they are not optimized for 64 bit. Maybe Windows 7 just doesn't agree with my system.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Skulblaka View Post
I don't understand, how would 4GB of RAM go to waste using a 32-bit OS?

I would advice using Windows 32-bit if 64-bit isn't stable on your current system specification.

Other OS's do not support a wide variety of games as Windows would.
32-bit OS would only make use of 3.25gb or the RAM if am not mistaken.

By "other OS" I meant other Windows OSes. That's the reason I want to stick with Windows - everything is compatible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #5
Skulblaka

Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
 
 

I see, then I would recommend Windows XP if you're planning to switch, but give Windows 7 a chance, try 32-bit if you wish. Perhaps that may fix your problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #6
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
I've been having lots of problems with stability in Windows 7 (Ultimate and Professional). Whether it's audio drivers, memory issues, or graphics problems, Windows 7 is not very stable for me.

I know this is a Windows 7 forums so I do expect some bias, but what OS would you recommend for me that is the most stable and would be able to play new games? I was considering XP 64bit but I read the support for that is terrible. Now I'm considering a 32 bit OS if it would provide more stability but I don't want my 4gb of RAM to go to waste. What do you think?

CPU: AMD Athlon II x3 440 3.00ghz
RAM: 4gb 1333mhz DDR3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD4850
There is one question that hasn't been asked. When you installed Win 7, did you do a clean install? If you did an upgrade from Vista, then that is your problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #7
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

The first thing I would do is to check your RAM voltage and make sure it is in spec. Motherboards don't always do it right if you let them set it automatically. If you don't have it set to "Auto", and it is the right voltage for the sticks, then ignore this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #8
jalebi

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
There is one question that hasn't been asked. When you installed Win 7, did you do a clean install? If you did an upgrade from Vista, then that is your problem.
Yeah, it was a clean install because it was a new system. Even when I reinstalled, I did it clean.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
The first thing I would do is to check your RAM voltage and make sure it is in spec. Motherboards don't always do it right if you let them set it automatically. If you don't have it set to "Auto", and it is the right voltage for the sticks, then ignore this.
Will do - I did seem to be having some RAM issues....

EDIT: the voltage was set to AUTO (which I think meant it was at the "standard" 1.50), but I have put it to 1.70 like it should have been
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #9
DeaconFrost

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
Will do - I did seem to be having some RAM issues....
That's why I suggested testing the memory. If you run a long loop with Memtest, you'll know for sure if your memory is having any issues. Bad memory, or misconfigured memory will easily cause a system to be unstable, regardless of the OS installed.

The mere fact you say you are having memory issues proves it is a wild, cop-out guess to blame the OS. 99.99% of all perceived OS issues are caused by something other than the OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2010   #10
jalebi

Windows 7 x64 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
Will do - I did seem to be having some RAM issues....
That's why I suggested testing the memory. If you run a long loop with Memtest, you'll know for sure if your memory is having any issues. Bad memory, or misconfigured memory will easily cause a system to be unstable, regardless of the OS installed.

The mere fact you say you are having memory issues proves it is a wild, cop-out guess to blame the OS. 99.99% of all perceived OS issues are caused by something other than the OS.
I ran a prime95 test to stress the RAM a week ago and it worked fine (i only ran it for an hour or so though, not 8). I'm going to do a full memtest for 8 hours tonight.

Could wrongly configured RAM cause issues with drivers "mismanaging PTES" or creating a "page fault in a non paged area"?

I'm not blaming the OS but perhaps its a compatibility issue. I have another indentical computer and it works 100% fine on it. As someone from the drivers subforum said "drivers are strange things, they work on one sytem but not another"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Stability Question




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
NIS 2011 Stability
Is the new Norton 2011 very stable? I was thinking of upgrading my existing version to the beta version but I didn't know how stable the beta version was right now or how well its detection currently is.
System Security
Windows 7 Stability
Hi All, Not sure if i am in the correct discussion area, but am hoping someone can assist me. I have recently installed windows 7 ultimate x64, Kaspersky internet security 2011, and Microsoft office 2010 prof. For some reason i am having some serious stability issues. A program will crash...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 stability fix breaks stability, puzzles MS.
Source - Windows 7 stability fix breaks stability, puzzles Microsoft
News
W7 Stability - Is it just me?
Hi Having installed W7 on Both my desktop and laptop, I am left feeling, well to be honest, a little robbed. I: * Setup a Homegroup (V easy), initally no problems, then both PCs systematically hang. Requires a hard reset to get up and running again. No warning, no 'windows is trying to find a...
General Discussion
1st Stability issue
I just experienced my first crash (using build 7000 from MSDN)... the whole system became unresponsive. It seems like it iTunes could have caused the issue. Has anyone else tried using iTunes?
BSOD Help and Support
Explorer stability
Right now i am running build 7000 on three computers: a desktop, a htpc and a laptop. All three computers are running fine, except for (file) explorer that ceases to function once in a while. What happens is when i'm browsing through some folders, it won't open the folder and instead the...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App