Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop ram in my new laptop.

28 Jan 2011   #11
TDPUK

W7 64.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
for anyone that owns a computer or laptop it doesn't hurt to drop by the local fry's or microcenter and buy a bargain bin computer tool set. I've seen them for 5 bucks. It's worth it to have properly sized screwdrivers for the job. ...of course a decent one that includes hex is going to cost a little more than that, but there's no reason you should ever have to buy a second one.
I may just do that : ).

What are the advantages of having 6GB of ram instead of 2GB?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jan 2011   #12
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Programs and background applications both function better, and faster when they have more ram to occupy. RAM is much much faster than any hdd. It'll also allow you to run more and larger apps at the same time without the system bogging down.

The benefits of more ram are kind of self explanatory, when you don't have enough ram windows will lean very heavily on the pagefile. What that means is that it will constantly be putting strain on the hard drive using it as 'virtual ram' this is harder on the hardware and causes more heat. Especially in a laptop where heat isn't dissipated as well as in a larger desktop case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2011   #13
TDPUK

W7 64.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
Programs and background applications both function better, and faster when they have more ram to occupy. RAM is much much faster than any hdd. It'll also allow you to run more and larger apps at the same time without the system bogging down.

The benefits of more ram are kind of self explanatory, when you don't have enough ram windows will lean very heavily on the pagefile. What that means is that it will constantly be putting strain on the hard drive using it as 'virtual ram' this is harder on the hardware and causes more heat. Especially in a laptop where heat isn't dissipated as well as in a larger desktop case.
Alright you've been a great help this morning and i'm now looking even more forward to receiving my new laptop which should arrive tomorrow or monday..!

Last question before i go as i'm not too good with Laptop's.

Is 6GB a good size to have? or will i need more.

<3
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jan 2011   #14
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I'm running my primary system on 4 gigs right now, I game and I run large apps quite often I have no complaints.

I just noticed you are saying 6, I think you are looking at 4 even with the swap. ...possibly 5, I don't really know the exact config you're winding up with like I said. There's like 15 sub versions of every type of laptop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2011   #15
TDPUK

W7 64.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
I'm running my primary system on 4 gigs right now, I game and I run large apps quite often I have no complaints.

I just noticed you are saying 6, I think you are looking at 4 even with the swap. ...possibly 5, I don't really know the exact config you're winding up with like I said. There's like 15 sub versions of every type of laptop.
I'm confused lol.

The samsung will come with 2GB pre installed, and i have 4GB of ram in the acer.

I will take the 4GB from the acer, and install it into the samsung along with the 2GB there, = 6GB of total ram : )

If that's what were talking about lol

EDIT: i was just told the samsung only has 2 slot's meaning ill only be able to upgrade to 4gb total
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2011   #16
Maguscreed

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 x64
 
 

You'll more than likely only have two slots for ram in the samsung, one will be occupied. Hopefully someone will pick this up with you I'm out of time for this morning.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2011   #17
TDPUK

W7 64.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Maguscreed View Post
You'll more than likely only have two slots for ram in the samsung, one will be occupied. Hopefully someone will pick this up with you I'm out of time for this morning.
Thanks, i think i'll start a new topic asking how many slot's the Samsung has.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2011   #18
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

no need to start a new topic. just edit the title of the thread

_EDIT!
Memory
System Memory
2GB (DDR3 / 2GB x 1)
Memory Slot
2 x SODIMM (Up to 4GB)

Thats for the Samsung
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2011   #19
TDPUK

W7 64.
 
 
Samsung RV510-A04UK - Ram Slots

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone who has anyone knowledge of this laptop know how many ram slot's it has? It come's pre installed with 2GB of ram but i want to up that.

Thankyou in advance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2011   #20
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop ram in my new laptop.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Laptop Keyboard main keys not working on Acer laptop
Hi, I have a strange problem and I can't find solution on internet. My 2 years old son was watching cartoons on my Laptop, he got excited and start hitting buttons on the keyboard. :shock: Some letters and numbers stooped working :cry: even arrows too...no sure what to do?:shock: I have...
Hardware & Devices
Creating Lenovo Laptop Recovery media from DVDs. Laptop wont let me do
Basically i have a Lenovo ThinkPad L530 laptop. I've created the recovery DVDs, but unbeknown to me at the time - you're only allowed to create one set. What i'd like is to put this onto a USB stick. Currently i have: DVD #1 - Boot Media: (312mb) The boot DVD containing "BOOT" folder,...
Backup and Restore
Can I Upgrade my Laptop's Video Card? Samsung Laptop RV411
I have Nvidia GeForce 315M im trying to upgrade to a more preferable video card. Please reply ASAP
Performance & Maintenance
Laptop A sees laptop B on the Homegroup, Laptop B will not find A
I just bought 2 brand new laptops, both running Windows 7 Home Premium, both connected via a wireless router. Laptop A is an HP, Dads (mine). Laptop B is a Compaq, sons. Was having trouble getting either one to see each other on the homegroup network. Verified I have ipv6 enabled. Read to turn off...
Network & Sharing
Can I transfer files from Vista laptop to Win 7 laptop via bluetooth?
Hi all, Question is as per the subject line but the reason I ask is that although each laptop is visible to the other in Devices and Printers when I try to send a file from the Vista laptop to the Win 7 laptop I get a message failure message. On the Win 7 machine when I click the the bluetooth...
Network & Sharing
Find a Laptop with Windows Laptop Scout + Special Holiday Offers
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:10.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App