Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: will new cpu work with current mtherboard

14 Aug 2009   #1
Gilly

 
will new cpu work with current mtherboard

im looking to upgrade my cpu but dont want to get new motherboard just yet


and was wondering if this cpu will fit on my motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer


my motherboard is the acer stock one

Acer RS780HVF


is my current processer amd 2 if so it should work shouldnt it?


*specs in corner*


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Aug 2009   #2
Sassa

 
 

Mainboard link is same link as processor link...
fix that and I will see if these are compatible
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #3
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
im looking to upgrade my cpu but dont want to get new motherboard just yet


and was wondering if this cpu will fit on my motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer


my motherboard is the acer stock one

Acer RS780HVF


is my current processer amd 2 if so it should work shouldnt it?


*specs in corner*
Yes, it should work, you will only miss some of the advantages of the AM3 socket.

But better be safe than sorry, so check at Acer for a compatibility chart, or maybe a newer Bios to support your future CPU.

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Aug 2009   #4
Gilly

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sassa View Post
Mainboard link is same link as processor link...
fix that and I will see if these are compatible
i didnt mean it to be a link i pasted over the a link so it ended up being a link

*fixed*
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #5
Sassa

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squonksc View Post
Yes, it should work, you will only miss some of the advantages of the AM3 socket.

But better be safe than sorry, so check at Acer for a compatibility chart, or maybe a newer Bios to support your future CPU.

Good luck
I didn't know if mainbord was AM2 or AM2+...
AM3 will run on an AM2+ socket but not at its full potential
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #6
Gilly

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squonksc View Post
Yes, it should work, you will only miss some of the advantages of the AM3 socket.

But better be safe than sorry, so check at Acer for a compatibility chart, or maybe a newer Bios to support your future CPU.

Good luck
what are the advantages of am3 socket ?

and ive just been to the compatible website but my pc isnt in the list aspire m3201 isnt in the list, closest one is aspire m3200 any other sites where i could find this info
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #7
Sassa

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
what are the advantages of am3 socket ?

and ive just been to the compatible website but my pc isnt in the list aspire m3201 isnt in the list, closest one is aspire m3200 any other sites where i could find this info
Visit AMD site and compare
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #8
Gilly

 

it would only be temporary using this motherboard as ill buy a new one in near future
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #9
Sassa

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
it would only be temporary using this motherboard as ill buy a new one in near future
That is good decision.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #10
Gilly

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sassa View Post
That is good decision.
what would be the downside of using this motherboard ?slower clock speed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 will new cpu work with current mtherboard




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Will Current Graphics Card Work OK With Hardware Upgrade?
I am upgrading my PC system hardware, and wonder if my current graphics card will work OK with the upgrade... My current graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 5700 series. My new MOBO will be an AsRock MB-970A-G/3.1 (4x240 pin DIMM 64 G DDR 3). My new processor will be an AMD FX 8350 (8 core)....
Graphic Cards
replacing current ssd
already have my user profile on an HDD when I setup the first ssd wondering will I need to link the user profile again to the hdd after installing new ssd thanks
Installation & Setup
GTA SA With My Current Computer
Well I was bored and went to check the minimum requirments for gta san andreas and apparently my old system is better than the recommended requirments. What do you think? Will it be playable?
Gaming
Can I move Win 7 from my current pc to another
Hi there, Firstly, I apologise for the inconvenience caused to the mod because I am sure this is posted in the wrong section and it will be moved. So, sorry in advance! I am sure this has come up before but I am still a little confused! I have a laptop that I bought from a highstreet shop...
Windows Updates & Activation
All-around best current web browser?
I've been switching browsers basically every day lately, and it's all because I'm unable to decide what browser to use. From Sept. 08 up until about a month ago I was an avid Chrome user; its speed convinced me to switch from FF. I started using IE8 after I updated to 7, and deduced that it wasn't...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:46.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App