MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,736
    ...
    Thread Starter
       #10

    fly790420 said:
    this way did not work on my case. i have a laptop installed windows 7, it was okay. until today i saw a article about removing the 100MB of "system reserved" partition.......and yeah...i did removed it by using my win7 installation dvd.. now my laptop wouldnt boot...it shows only operating systen not found"

    i tried the method above but at Step 3, mine did not show up any operating system..all blank so i just clicked next

    then at Step 9

    it couldnt restore the bootsector code.
    it only shows "the system partition was not found: the requested system device cannot be found"

    and then everything remain the same, still cannot boot.

    i know i am stupid to remove the system reserved partiton..

    but i really need help here, i have imporant data in the laptop so i dont want to format and reinstall...

    if anyone can help, i really appreciate
    I would suggest a "startup repair" or a "repair install" to restore your computer:

    Startup Repair

    Repair Install

    If that doesn't do it, you can always install 7 again on a separate hard drive or partition which will give you access to your data on your current 7 partition?

    Cheers!
    Robert
      My Computer


  2. jes
    Posts : 1
    win7 over vista with grub
       #11

    mbr recovery from grub dual boot


    About to follow instructions, thanks.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,736
    ...
    Thread Starter
       #12

    jes said:
    About to follow instructions, thanks.
    Welcome to Windows Seven Forums, jes! Please let us know how it goes?

    Cheers,
    Robert
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 22
    Windows 7
       #13

    I'm having a similar issue.

    I have three hard drives. One old (6years) 150gig, a new 1TB which has XP Pro installed, and a even newer 1.5TB that I have Windows 7 installed on a 100gig partition.

    I was fooling around in the BIOS trying to overclock my CPU when I reverted the BIOS back to "stock" settings.

    When I did that, I forgot to go back in and make sure that my Windows 7 partition was first on the list.

    Therefore, it loaded up my XP. I didn't think it was a big deal, so I restarted the computer, went back into BIOS, and chose the HDD with W7 on it.

    During the restart I got an error message saying that the "NTDLR is missing" error message, and it won't boot!

    I have the full install disk and have gone into the repair area but when I get to this part:



    I don't have any disks that show up. I says if none are showing, to click the "load drivers". I can get into my Windows 7 partition when that screen pops up, but I have no idea what or where the drivers are located????

    I need to figure out this step so I can actuall fix Windows 7!

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Jay
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,736
    ...
    Thread Starter
       #14

    jaymac10 said:
    During the restart I got an error message saying that the "NTDLR is missing" error message, and it won't boot!

    Jay
    Jay;

    The "NTDLR" message means to me that the BIOS is still looking for XP. Windows 7 uses "bootmgr" so it would appear to me that the XP hard drive is set as the "Primary" in the bios. This would not alter the boot code in the MBR and would not likely need to be repaired. You might try shutting down your computer and unplug all but the Window 7 hard drive to see if it will boot. Then make sure that hard drive is set as the "Primary" in the BIOS?

    Cheers!
    Robert
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 22
    Windows 7
       #15

    iseeuu said:
    jaymac10 said:
    During the restart I got an error message saying that the "NTDLR is missing" error message, and it won't boot!

    Jay
    Jay;

    The "NTDLR" message means to me that the BIOS is still looking for XP. Windows 7 uses "bootmgr" so it would appear to me that the XP hard drive is set as the "Primary" in the bios. This would not alter the boot code in the MBR and would not likely need to be repaired. You might try shutting down your computer and unplug all but the Window 7 hard drive to see if it will boot. Then make sure that hard drive is set as the "Primary" in the BIOS?

    Cheers!
    Robert
    Tried unpluging all the other hard drives and still getting a "boot failure"

    Trying a couple other things to restore the MBR but haven't had much luck so far...

    Jay
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 22
    Windows 7
       #16

    I went through the process. I unpluged all the other HDD's so only the one with W7 was listed.

    I did the command prompt throught the install DVD.

    I did the "bootsect/nt60 all" and it says that it fixed 1 boot.

    Took DVD out, restarted the computer...

    Still getting the "Boot disk failure" and asking to boot from DVD....

    Not sure what else to do/try???
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 22
    Windows 7
       #17

    OK got some more info...

    I figured out that my D: drive is the partition with Windows 7 installed on it.

    When I went in and did a "bootsect/nt60 all" I got the following error message regarding the D: Drive

    "Update may be unrealiable since the volume could not be locked during update. Access is denied"

    WTF does that mean? and how do I fix it?

    Thanks,
    Jay
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 22
    Windows 7
       #18

    Since the bootsect doesn't seem to be working as "access is denied" I'm sure if I could get my disk drive to show up in the picture below, I could fix this real quick!

    Can someone please help me with the "load drivers" section so I can get it to see the drive with Windows 7 installed on it... so I can fix it!

    Thanks,

    Jay



    jaymac10 said:
    I'm having a similar issue.

    I have three hard drives. One old (6years) 150gig, a new 1TB which has XP Pro installed, and a even newer 1.5TB that I have Windows 7 installed on a 100gig partition.

    I was fooling around in the BIOS trying to overclock my CPU when I reverted the BIOS back to "stock" settings.

    When I did that, I forgot to go back in and make sure that my Windows 7 partition was first on the list.

    Therefore, it loaded up my XP. I didn't think it was a big deal, so I restarted the computer, went back into BIOS, and chose the HDD with W7 on it.

    During the restart I got an error message saying that the "NTDLR is missing" error message, and it won't boot!

    I have the full install disk and have gone into the repair area but when I get to this part:



    I don't have any disks that show up. I says if none are showing, to click the "load drivers". I can get into my Windows 7 partition when that screen pops up, but I have no idea what or where the drivers are located????

    I need to figure out this step so I can actuall fix Windows 7!

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Jay
    Last edited by jaymac10; 11 Dec 2009 at 10:54.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2,736
    ...
    Thread Starter
       #19

    jaymac10 said:
    OK got some more info...

    I figured out that my D: drive is the partition with Windows 7 installed on it.

    When I went in and did a "bootsect/nt60 all" I got the following error message regarding the D: Drive

    "Update may be unrealiable since the volume could not be locked during update. Access is denied"

    WTF does that mean? and how do I fix it?

    Thanks,
    Jay
    Good afternoon, Jay!

    I would recommend to you to try a "repair install" from the 7 DVD: System Recovery Options

    Follow this tutorial ... take note that step 5 says "If Windows 7 is not listed here, or it is blank, then it is ok. Click on Next anyway." Then do the "startup repair." Please let us know if this restores access to your Windows 7?

    Cheers!
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:43.
Find Us